Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 21, 2019 11:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Masterpiece and Philco kind of Christmas
PostPosted: Dec Fri 26, 2008 9:24 pm 

I decided that I'd kind of make my own Christmas this year. I finished up some "wanna do'". I finished a power supply that had been on the shelf for 2 years. I hooked that up to my Masterpiece that has been here for over a year without playing. I spent two hours listening to that three dialer! I am hooked!

From there, I drug a Philco 640 that I bought almost two years ago, off of the shelf and recapped it. I spent the rest of my afternoon listening all over the SW bands on that.

Good therapy, let me tell you!! :D :D

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Fri 26, 2008 10:20 pm 

We had a radio station here playing Christmas radio plays yesterday, the day before and this morning. I got to hear Miracle on 34th Street and The Great Gildersleeve. Turn the TV off, turn the radio on, and tell the children to shut up. Just plain lovely.

Last edited by Tin Omen on Dec Sat 27, 2008 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Fri 26, 2008 11:02 pm 

As close as we have gotten to that has been Radio Disney but they are playing a bunch of "crap". (read that, rap and remakes of older carols) so I'm just broadcasting some Mozart and Tchaikowsky (sp) and enjoying that.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Fri 26, 2008 11:13 pm 

Hi Nick-Glad to have you back for a while.

Interestingly I too have been thinking about getting a nice 1920's battery set that works and adding a battery eliminator and an old cone speaker and using it as a semi daily player.

So far everything I listen to is post-Hoover era. While at the Charlotte show in March 2006, that speaker cone guy had a few playing and they sounded pretty darn good. I was surprised actually at the quality of the output of his speakers. I bought a SC cone replacement from him for a big speaker that I had that was smashed in shipping and its a nice to look at piece. Perhaps some day I can get it playing too.

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 27, 2008 12:01 am 

Thanks Bruce. Good to see you.

I had a 1920's set with a horn speaker earmarked over at Denni's place but couldn't get the funds together for it. Maybe next year some time. That is on the list of my "must have's" now.

The Masterpiece isn't a super duper radio, but it is just plain fun to play around with.

Nick