Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 18, 2019 11:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Westinghouse WR8
PostPosted: Mar Sun 15, 2009 8:55 pm 

I was just given a Westinghouse WR8 that I think is complete down to the cloth covered power cord that is falling apart, clock, and speaker with the big wooden ball in the center. The case is complete but the veneer is damage and and peeling in places. It has the original two tone finish. The cabinet needs a lot of work. The question is how careful should I be in restoring the cabinet. I see the radio as just for my own use, but I don't want to destroy the value very much either.

Thanks
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 15, 2009 11:29 pm 

Pictures tell a lot. I am in the hobby for restoration purpose as much as anything else...so it would interest many as a project. If you can manage to make a radio look original after restoration...then you are talented indeed! :)
Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Mon 16, 2009 4:16 am 

It's a fine radio, and is in the category of desirable. The chassis a RCA Radiola 82, a superheterodyne of 1931. The cabinet design is genuinely art deco, and a nice early example of it.

A good cleaning of the chassis, and capacitors checked (possibly not necessary to re-cap), aligned, and you have a hot radio there. The unused terminal board on the end of the radio chassis is audio input, used when this chassis was used in the Radiola 86; a phono-radio-recorder combination.

If there are veneer problems, you'll probably end up re-finishing it. For the most part, the cabinet body can be stained with dark Walnut. The front panel is mounted with wood screws, and is done in a lighter color. I refinished one of the two that I have, and just coated it in clear coat, after stripping. It's a handsome set, often mistaken for being newer than it is. If youre lucky, you'll have the original clock movement in it. The dial scale is almost always grubby. It's a german sliver background.

The clock dial is uncovered, as we find them, but I did see one of those sets at a radio meet once, and it did have a celluloid dial cover that slipped into the wood frame surround.

The WR-8 came in a motor driven remote control option (WR-8R), or just plain radio (WR-8). (The preceding is supposed to read: WR-EIGHT!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Mon 16, 2009 4:29 am 

Interesting to learn about that one...I had never heard of that make before. For some reason, the non-centered on-off-volume control and tuning escutcheon make it look like some sort of a vending machine or jukebox, not a radio! I'm glad to be educated about it.

--Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2009 12:29 am 

These are valuable sets, the WR-8 in decent condition is a $350 +/- radio unrestored, the WR-8R (remote control version) I've seen go for as high as $1,700 in excellent unrestored condition.

Few things I've noticed about these sets....

1- The clock almost always needs to be rebuilt, and from what I hear it is NOT an easy clock to rebuild. Movement is 100% unique, if its gone you will not be able to replace it... ever. But if still there, they can be rebuilt if you can find a good clock expert.
2- Seems lots of the grandfather clock radios have had someone over the years take out the nonworking electric clocks to throw in small battery operated ones, or small mantle wind up movements.
3- The WR-8 had a plastic lens that covered the clock face but I've never seen one, in person or online.
4- The WR-8 had a cardboard back, and I've only ever seen one set that still had it... and that I didn't get to see in person (was a picture of one online).
5- The closest I can tell, the middle section of the front of the cabinet was finished with a maple toned lacquer while the rest was mahogany toned lacquer.

I have also, sadly seen a few of these that had at some point or another been cut in half :x Why?! I have no idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2009 5:32 pm 

Thanks to all for the information. From your response and research I have done, I will work much harder to do a good job of restoration.

I am lucky in that it appears complete down to the back. The back is broken across the 3 ventilation holes at the bottom, but easy to reproduce. The cabinet will take some serious work. A lot of cotton cover wire will also need to be relaced. It appears the interstage audio transformer went bad and they srewed a replacement to the back of the cabinet. Not sure how to handle that problem yet.

Little is going to happen in the next 6 months and I will keep on researching what to do.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2009 6:22 pm 

Hi Larry

I also have a WR-8 I bought from a forum member and they are nice to look at.

I always thought every radio collector should have a GF clock radio and this was the one I wanted. As mentioned above, $350 is actually what I did pay for mine and its in nice presentable condition.

I did not realise it was a super het. Interestingly, I was at an estate of 800 radios last week and the fellow there sorting through his dad's stuff had one too and he and I discussed what style his was as far as a TRF vs something else. I wrongly told him I thought these were TRF's

Both his and mine were also missing the back cover but I have mine in a tight corner in my radio room and it too has a battery clock that does keep good time and its quiet. Truly the beginning of the art-deco era.

Good luck with yours. Now I think I need my radio man to get mine playing nice too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2009 8:44 pm 

Five years ago I sold a working, good finish radio, same as yours. A buyer bought it for his mothers hallway entrance. It went for $225.00. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2009 8:47 pm 

If you need I can supply you with a diagram for the radio. Also I can give you a picture and the dimentions of the back. It is a piece of masonite with about 4 inch gap at the top and 3 2 inch holes near the bottom. Mine is broken across the holes.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2009 8:56 pm 

Photo from Ron Potter site for anyone who has not seen one of these. There's alot of 'innards in one of these and the weight shows it. Nice and heavy like a good radio should be.

This is the R version but basically the same as the WR-8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2009 10:52 pm 

y2k Bruce wrote:
Photo from Ron Potter site for anyone who has not seen one of these. There's alot of 'innards in one of these and the weight shows it. Nice and heavy like a good radio should be.

This is the R version but basically the same as the WR-8.

Surprisingly every WR-8R I've seen (granted that's about 5 or 6), IRL or online, still had the remote attached. I would have figured most of them would have broken off the wiring harness and been lost decades ago...

AFAIK it was the only GE-family grandfather clock to have the remote feature. I don't recall the GE H-91 (Longfellow), nor the other westinghouse models ever coming with a remote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Fri 27, 2009 12:39 am 

shelbydodgeimp wrote:
Surprisingly every WR-8R I've seen (granted that's about 5 or 6), IRL or online, still had the remote attached. I would have figured most of them would have broken off the wiring harness and been lost decades ago...

AFAIK it was the only GE-family grandfather clock to have the remote feature. I don't recall the GE H-91 (Longfellow), nor the other westinghouse models ever coming with a remote.

Technically speaking the WR-8 and 8Rs (also called Columnaires in Canada) are not grandfather clock radios but grandmother clock radios. Grandmother clocks are smaller, and shorter, then grandfather clocks. They did produce a grandfather clock version that looks similar but it is at least a foot taller and a few inches wider and deeper then the WR-8, I knew a fellow who had both. It's surprising how many of these sets I have seen, but the common problem seems to be that many have the chassis missing.
Best Regards
Arran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Fri 27, 2009 1:45 am 

Arran wrote:
shelbydodgeimp wrote:

Technically speaking the WR-8 and 8Rs (also called Columnaires in Canada) are not grandfather clock radios but grandmother clock radios. Grandmother clocks are smaller, and shorter, then grandfather clocks. They did produce a grandfather clock version that looks similar but it is at least a foot taller and a few inches wider and deeper then the WR-8, I knew a fellow who had both. It's surprising how many of these sets I have seen, but the common problem seems to be that many have the chassis missing.
Best Regards
Arran

Here is my Columaire, a Westinghouse 101.

Needs a new tranny as after about 10 mins the original starts to over heat.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 01, 2009 11:45 pm 

I have restored two WR-8's and one WR-8R. The '8R chassis is a positive ground and is set up very differently from the WR-8. The Motor that drives the volume and station preset has a electro magnet in the top to pull the cog and armature up to operate the pre-sets. In the 8R I had, the coil in the magnet was open, and the motor is sealed, with no way to access the internal components without cutting it apart. The stations on all three were very drifty anyway, so I don't know how much good a pre-set would do. The on/off button is just two electromagnets on either side of a metal plate, that pull it to or away from two contacts, completing the circuit. If the motor is bad, you are screwed, as there is no manual way to control the volume. There is also no manual on/off, but those can be repaired. the cabinet is very Midwest like, as it is just flat plywood with a great design. Veneer repairs are very simple. My'8-R was a rescue from a chicken coop. Most of the veneer was there, but half was seperated, as well as much of the plywood. It took severl hyperdermic needles, two bottles of wood glue, lots of wood clamps and six months, but I finally got it all glued back together. It turned out beautiful. The clocks are a bizzare pain in the back side, but the set is well worth the effort. A 22 gage needle will allow wood glue to pass and is great for inserting under loose veneer an in seperations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 02, 2009 3:41 am 

Where do you get a syringe like that? I have a couple of cabinets to repair which have loose veneer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 02, 2009 7:59 pm 

It was easy for me as I have to take testosterone injections. As it is very thick, a big needle is required. It depends on who you talk to. I have had to take those injections most of my life, and it varies from place to place and pharmacist to pharmacist, depending on how anal they are. (I guess they don't teach that no druggie would use a 22 gage needle in pharmacy school). Some pharmacists will just sell them to you, others require a prescription. Tell you doctor what you are doing and what you need, and he will most likely give you a prescription for some. You will need more than one as the needles can bend and plug up. I keep my used ones for veneer use, but I wouldn't send a used syringe to anyone. Doctors are never as anal as pharmacists. Its the "wanna be" syndrome.

Post subject: Re: Westinghouse WR8
PostPosted: Nov Thu 30, 2017 8:20 pm 

I have aWR-8 in pretty good condition with the original back, radio, clock, and everything EXCEPT the plastic face cover. This sight won't let me upload jpgs or post my personal email in this message so message me here for pictures and more information. My father just passed away, I inherited this clock, can't keep it, and would like to get it to a person that appreciates it.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 4:12 am 

I have one with a complete back, but no plastic lens over the clock. Got it at an Estes auction several years ago for $150.

Here's a newspaper ad for it I found on the web:
Attachment:
Columaire_Ad-2 sm.jpg
Columaire_Ad-2 sm.jpg [ 99.75 KiB | Viewed 2248 times ]

John

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 4:44 am 

wr8seller wrote:
I have aWR-8 in pretty good condition with the original back, radio, clock, and everything EXCEPT the plastic face cover. It's yours for $350 +shipping. This sight won't let me upload jpgs or post my personal email in this message so message me here for pictures and more information. My father just passed away, I inherited this clock, can't keep it, and would like to get it to a person that appreciates it.
You should post this in the Classifieds here.
Resize pics to 800 pixels or less.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 4:53 pm 

WR-8R restoration:
https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/what-is-that-ticking
https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/west ... ction-find
https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/west ... r-r-update
https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/westinghouse-wr-8-r
https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/wr-8 ... th-a-smile

There is no cover for the clock face since it must be accessible or the clock will NOT RUN. This in addition to needing to set the time. Discussed in links above.