Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 22, 2019 10:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 65  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roaring 20s Superhets
PostPosted: Nov Thu 03, 2016 9:17 am 

I go with just the meter ... a new front panel would be over restoring a marvellous radio IMO. Bit rich coming from me who has been accused a few time of over doing it. But mine are nothing as rare as that wonder.

Gary

PostPosted: Nov Sat 05, 2016 1:22 am 

OK, I just stumbled on this thread about early superhets. Long ago I saw an old B&W movie, probably late '20s or early '30s, on TV. In one scene, a bad guy, a mobster, is trying to impress somebody with his wealth and importance. He walks over the radio that is playing "Mountain Greenery." He tells his visitor, "12-tube superheterodyne." That was something big at the time, an expensive device. That's all I remember. I've always wanted to find out what the movie, and the radio, was. It was a highboy console set.

Odd what sticks in our minds--the radio and the tune, all from probably 45 years ago.

Chris Campbell

PostPosted: Nov Sat 05, 2016 4:51 pm 

Assuming that the radio was from the 1920s, 12 tube brandname superhet radios were pretty rare back then. If it was a 14 tube superhet, then chances are it could have been a Hot Spot 14. Most likely it was a custom built superhet so the number of tubes that could have been used was limited only to what the customer desired and was willing to pay for.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 05, 2016 5:40 pm 

The RCA Radiola 64 was a 1928 11-tube highboy console superhet.

Better chance the radio was from the early thirties, as many manufacturers were making superhets then. One example would be the Scott Allwave 12.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 05, 2017 7:09 am 

I left an absentee bid and won a radio....a rare event for me. Bought it sight unseen from the pics only. Needs a bath, but hopefully it's not too bad. Am driving down to Indy to pick it up Monday or maybe Tuesday. I think it's a Gerald Best / Remler 45kc super, but I can't see the IF's. I count 7, uv199's and 1, ux201a. A pair of thordarson audios, remler dials, and a pair of Weston meters and a couple headsets. Also comes with a box of tubes including a pair of 45's...yippee, but who knows if they're any good? The auction place called it a "Six Bulb" receiver???
http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/antique-six-bulb-radio-receiver-equipment-with-vi-165-c-25842d59ea?campaign=rr

PostPosted: Mar Sun 05, 2017 10:38 am 

Looks an interesting radio and pretty complete. Nice win, please tell us more when you get it home and inspected. Maybe able to help you out with artwork to make clean Remler cards. But perhaps someone sells them?

Gary

PostPosted: Mar Sun 05, 2017 2:58 pm 

Invaluable.com, never knew of that bidding site but I do now. Wow, you got a really interesting superhet. So that radio was manufactured by Chas Brendel of Indianapolis. That's now the 3rd 1920s superhet that I know of that was made in Indianapolis. The other two are a "Hatfield" which was made by the Hatfield Electric Co. and a "Gaynola" which was manufactured by Albert N. Gahimer of Indianapolis. Your lucky I didn't know about this radio being up for auction or I seriously would have bid against you. Congratulations on your find. It might be a set based on the Best 45kc design or it might be something totally different. The choice of components and the layout of the front panel suggests that it was probably based on the Remler "Best 45kc" design. This set looks like it uses both 99s and 01As/12As for the output. Keep us updated on your find and post some better photos then did the auction.

Indianapolis City Directory 1926...Brendel Chas R furn mfr 916-18 Ft Wayne av h1020 W 33rd

Full name: Charles R Brendel

916 Ft. Wayne Ave., Indianapolis https://www.google.com/maps/place/916+F ... 86.1510065

1020 W. 33rd. St., Indianapolis https://www.google.com/maps/place/1020+ ... 86.1788426

"Charles R. Brendel, manufacturer of radio cabinets, 81G-818 Fort Wayne avenue, is gaining recognition in the radio world because of, his beautiful plain and console types of custom-built cabinets. This success comes after thirty years of experience in woodworking and cabinet making."
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/104872920/

http://1940-census.mooseroots.com/l/426 ... -R-Brendel

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.c ... d=40999430

PostPosted: Mar Sun 05, 2017 5:25 pm 

Well now that I let the cat out of the bag that will be the last of my deals :lol:. Actually I found it first on auctionzip, but placed the bid directly with the auction house which saved me a few dollars in buyers premium vs live bidding. And kept me within the range I had in mind.

I am a Hoosier and lived in Indianapolis (Broad Ripple area) most of my life before coming to Chicago. Been trying to escape from here ever since. My first old radio (a Mohawk) came from a neighbors garage sale on Central just south of the canal so it's interesting to me as well to find an Indiana made set. Still have a Scott LT110B tuner kit that came from Van Sickle Radio on Keystone. Remember that place?

Thanks for the info about the cabinet maker. I do have a 1st version Best 45KC I found in Madison Wi about 20 years ago (without Remler dials, one meter in center & Federal 65 audios). Kent K. was kind to send me copies of his Best files at the time. I've briefly looked them over, but am unclear what it is. Maybe it's not a Best or the plan wasn't followed exactly. Will know more soon and will update the post.

Matt

PostPosted: Mar Sun 05, 2017 6:11 pm 

I just found a set of Langhorn (Portland OR) IF transformers. Not a whole radio but parts from a very obscure manufacture of interest in particular to those of us in the Northwest. There is at least one picture of an assembled radio on the net:

http://www.duanesradios.info/html/langh ... odyne.html

I would be interested in hearing of any other radios by this manufacture. Also the very remote possibility of finding enough parts to assemble a complete receiver.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 06, 2017 12:13 am 

I think it might be the "Improved" version found in the Jan, 1925 issue of Radio. That radio used 7 uv199's and 1 uv201a and the front panel layout matches. Only this one was built with a larger front panel to accommodate the second meter on the far right. Will know for sure tomorrow.
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio/20s/Radio-1925-01.pdf

PostPosted: Mar Mon 06, 2017 1:53 am 

phlogiston wrote:
I would be interested in hearing of any other radios by this manufacture. Also the very remote possibility of finding enough parts to assemble a complete receiver.

I have a Langhorne which is missing parts. I purchased it a while back because Langhorne is a northwest company and most of the parts were made by Kilbourne and Clark which was a Seattle company. I expect the missing bits will prove very difficult to find.

Attachments:
Langhorne.jpg
Langhorne.jpg [ 89.22 KiB | Viewed 4968 times ]

Everyone is ignorant...
only on different subjects.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 06, 2017 4:53 pm 

Bob, thanks for posting a picture of your radio. It appears to use different variable caps than the ones in the picture that I linked above.

Give me hope that there are a few more of these floating around.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 08, 2017 8:42 am 

Picked up my Indianapolis auction find today. It is the Improved Best 45KC Super as described in Jan '25 Radio. Remler sockets mounted on a raised panel to shorten leads to Remler IF's. Last 3 tubes sit on Benjamin spring mount sockets. Original Burgess 5540 "c" battery, pair of big Western Electric 21-D 2MF condensers. Nothing missing or broken, but open primary in one audio. Found a 12 in the final output instead of the 01A spec'd. Radio is wired per the Jan'25 schematic and is not the Sept'25 revision that spec'd a 12 in final stage. Guess the builder just wanted to goose it up a bit with the 12 and since it has a separate plate supply it would be easy to run at 180V if desired. 2nd meter modification measures the total B current through b- connection. First time I've found a need for the ARBE3 to have two separate "A" supplies. I wonder if the cabinet maker assembled it? Whoever did the work was experienced and did a very nice job. Cabinet is also nice with no deep scratches and will look great cleaned up. The headsets are so so. The Brandes has a big chip on one ear cup and the leather is completely gone. The Kellogg headset looks pretty good. It's a nice virgin set that will be beautiful after a thorough cleaning. Always makes me wonder how these things survive so well after all the years. Must have been stored out of sight someplace where the kids didn't play with it. I'm happy with the deal and the 45's that were thrown in test strong.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 09, 2017 1:23 am 

Nice find! I hope you're planning on adding some pictures to this thread. I'm sure the auction pictures won't be around for too long.

Everyone is ignorant...
only on different subjects.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 09, 2017 3:40 am 

"I go with just the meter ... a new front panel would be over restoring a marvellous radio IMO."
I agree with that. The meter is part of the radio's history. Upgrades do not detract from the value in my book.
A meter with a mounting lip should be relatively easy to center correctly. Or you could install a engraved metal plate with information about the radio.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 09, 2017 6:13 am 

Dirty as found with a bit of crud in front of the C battery. It will require some disassembly to clean. The cabinet and the baseboard is solid walnut. The countersunk holes that hold the elevated panel risers are forstner bit drilled so I suspect Mr. Brendel built this radio and the cabinet. And since his label in on the bottom I would venture he made more than one.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 09, 2017 8:22 am 

Michael,

On the same page that you linked to newspapers.com just below the info about Brendel is this, "Thomas Madden & Sons, 2M(! Kaxt Michigan Street, stand rather unique as radio manufacturers. They build custom sets and incorporate any style of hookup, or type of set that the customer may desire (going further than that, they will build. If desired, a "tailor-made," or made-to-order eight-tube superheterodyne."

I don't have an account with newspapers.com so I can only see the ocr interpretation and not the actual page. I did find an article dated Dec10,1909 in the Star that referenced, "Thomas Madden, Son & Co., lounge manufacturers for the last eighteen years" so they apparently began in 1891 as a furniture maker. I also found numerous listings showing their address as "Big Four and Fletcher Ave, Indianapolis" and several want ads including one for "boys to learn upholstery" which probably explains the issues they had with the Indiana Supreme Court regarding child labor laws.
https://books.google.com/books?id=NzUsAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA814&lpg=PA814&dq=thomas+madden,+son+%26+co.&source=bl&ots=8a1ocBkkSs&sig=8B1qwfCrQ_N_dNRgCWm6f7M4olk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi26Mro7MjSAhVmzIMKHV9WA2cQ6AEINDAF#v=onepage&q=thomas%20madden%2C%20son%20%26%20co.&f=false

Last edited by matt's basement on Mar Thu 09, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 09, 2017 8:25 am 

The cutout for the volt meter is very clean but the cutout for the amp meter looks to be very rough which leads me to believe that the current meter was installed sometime after the radio was originally purchased. This is what I believe the radio originally looked like.

Last edited by Indiana Radios on Aug Sat 26, 2017 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 09, 2017 8:49 am 

Agreed. Meter added later. Hooks Drugs also sold them as kit or assembled. Wonder if RCA knew about that! lol
This ad is for the first version, not the "Improved" version of Jan1925.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 09, 2017 4:39 pm 

Here is a picture of my super 8. Note that it is not built on a breadboard.

more:

http://www.russoldradios.com/blog/best-remler-super-8

Last edited by phlogiston on Oct Thu 19, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1284 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 65  Next