Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sun 28, 2021 1:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69
 Post subject: Re: Roaring 20s Superhets
PostPosted: Nov Thu 19, 2020 6:21 am 

Duane,

I checked out the Radio News article and they do have the same look, but it does not use the Hammerlund shielding. Thanks for pointing me to this article.

David

PostPosted: Nov Wed 25, 2020 5:06 pm 

Hi Folks,
I am looking for photos, blueprints, descriptions, basically information for a Luetz Model C with RCA IFs. There is a pic in "radio manufacturers of the 1920's" but that is about all i've been able to find. I have a good number of parts to start building a replica but would like to start listing out the other parts I need start gathering. Can anyone assist? Of course i'll tag this replica so there is no chance of it being passed off as an original.

On a 2nd note, i would of course much prefer an original needing some TLC for restoration / preservation but I accept the odds of that is very unlikely.

Steve

PostPosted: Nov Wed 25, 2020 6:37 pm 

Steve,

I wish I could help, but I have done very little reading on the receivers of C.R. Leutz. There is a Model C in my collection but it uses the Acme IF's which were the first type used as a substitute for the RCA IF's. It is unrestored with a few components unsecured due to many years of poor handling. I could supply pictures of the interior.

If I were to build a Model C reproduction I would start with the book, Modern Radio Reception by C.R. Leutz There are two, or maybe three editions, and my understanding is that they have different illustrations between them. I only own the 1925 second edition. Page 50 has four figures which shows the interior of the shielded cabinet, a chassis layout using EIS IF's, and a front, and back of the panel. Somewhere I have a parts list for Leutz receivers, and I found it interesting that you could order the panels from E.I.S. drilled or undrilled, with or without engraving, and that the meters were an option. My point is there are a lot of ways to put on together and it would be correct.

The booklet Super-Heterodyne Receivers by Charles R. Leutz is another resource for Model C information. It does contain a picture of the Model C using the RCA IF's and a blueprint. My copy has the date 1924 on the front cover, and 1923 on the back. It is a reprint by F. Kodousek, and the illustrations are dark and are not useful for your effort. Hopefully an original copy will have better photos.

Hopefully Duane will report in and be more helpful. I expect everything I mentioned above was already common knowledge. There is some good information on Michael's website too. http://www.indianaradios.com/Leutz%20C% ... 0Radio.htm

R,

David

Last edited by David Willenborg on Jan Sun 03, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 25, 2020 10:37 pm 

Thanks David,
Turns out i have the same edition of "modern Radio Reception" you do and I did see the pics of the EIS equipped if transformers. I will keep an eye out for an original of the booklet you refer to.

Actually Micheal has the exact blueprints I need especially the blueprints for the coils. I'll send him a note to see if he can take close up pictures for me.

Arwcw

PostPosted: Nov Thu 26, 2020 3:14 am 

Location: Radio Heaven, North Carolina, near Charlotte, 28106-3015
I have a reproduction of the first Leutz superhet book that was soft bound,
I have several copies of the hardback superhet books.
I also have a packet of Leutz model C blueprints and other papers,
plus a full set of model L blueprints that were inside my model L
when I bought it.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 26, 2020 7:42 pm 

targeteye wrote:
On a 2nd note, i would of course much prefer an original needing some TLC for restoration / preservation but I accept the odds of that is very unlikely.

Yes, the Model C seems to be quite scarce, at least out here in the Rocky Mountain area. I have seen a few people find them back east, from photos posted on the Internet, but still not very often. I have an example of the Model C with RCA IFs on my website, but it was converted into a hybrid C/C7 many years ago. I have yet to find a good example of the Model C.

Speaking of the Rocky Mountain area, most 1920s superhets are very scarce, but someone recently got a nice Melo-Heald Hot Spot Fourteen from a garage sale in Pocatello, Idaho!

PostPosted: Jan Sun 03, 2021 12:21 pm 

It could be a set or kit thrown together by one of the surplus/overstock companies after the mfg discontinued the lines.
The government's rural electrification program was not finished here in Texas until the early 50's. I've run across several brand name battery operated sets with mixed manufacturer's parts that varied from the original.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 31, 2021 10:23 pm 

I'm pretty curious about some of the radios in the Estes auction yesterday.

In particular, I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the PECO radio that was lot 202 in the auction.

Is this a superhet? I can't find anything about a PECO Radio from the early '20s. Did anyone here win this radio?

Attachments:
PECO_1.jpeg
PECO_1.jpeg [ 208.67 KiB | Viewed 333 times ]
PECO_2.jpeg
PECO_2.jpeg [ 287.97 KiB | Viewed 333 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Sun 31, 2021 11:13 pm 

My first thought is that it could be a regenerative tecnadyne. It's got all the parts. 2 dials (one to tune and the other for regeneration or stabilization), 1 stage of tuned RF followed by 2 stages of untuned RF, Det and 2 stages of audio. 6 tubes all together. A very common setup with the portable radios of that time period. Of course it could be a superhet that runs of 6 tubes instead of the usual 8 or so. I wonder if all of the tubes are shown or might there be a couple more underneath.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 01, 2021 5:11 am 

Indiana Radios wrote:
My first thought is that it could be a regenerative tecnadyne. It's got all the parts. 2 dials (one to tune and the other for regeneration or stabilization), 1 stage of tuned RF followed by 2 stages of untuned RF, Det and 2 stages of audio. 6 tubes all together. A very common setup with the portable radios of that time period. Of course it could be a superhet that runs of 6 tubes instead of the usual 8 or so. I wonder if all of the tubes are shown or might there be a couple more underneath.

+1

I agree with most of what Michael says. My first thought also was it was a regenerative radio with a few stages of RF amplification. Here are some additional thoughts I had after reading Rodney's post and studying the circuit in more detail:

it looks like a factory built radio from around 1924. That's one of the first clues I had that it was not a superhet. The plate of the far right tube is connected to the primary of the first RF transformer (with the orange wrapping). This transformer looks very much like a filter capacitor of a superhet. It looks like the grid of the far right tube is connected to an insulated wire that goes to the stator of one of the tuning capacitors (you can see a trace of the insulated wire just right of the tube). Whichever of the two capacitors it is it must go to a loop or an antenna coupler. It looks like both tuning capacitors are tied to the filament circuit and therefore there is no way that the far right tube can be biased as the first detector of a superhet. I think this rules out a superhet. The other tuning capacitor must be tied in the circuit somehow to control regenerative gain. There might be some coils under the base board but I highly doubt there are any tubes.

Last edited by Duane B on Feb Tue 02, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 02, 2021 6:03 pm 

Picked up these panels at the Estes sale from John's estate. Anyone have more info? I have a 3rd parts panel that is marked "Improved C-7" which I believe is Leutz. Junk behind the panel is more of the haul.

The panel on top of the federal radio has no makers mark or model number on the front. I am assuming kit built?

Attachments:
Presentation c3.jpg
Presentation c3.jpg [ 1.64 MiB | Viewed 254 times ]
Superhet.jpg
Superhet.jpg [ 1.71 MiB | Viewed 254 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Tue 02, 2021 7:09 pm 

The Leutz panel with no brand and model name engraved it correct. It appears to be the remains of a Leutz model C. The other looks to be a fantasy construction project that was never finished.

C.R. Leutz receivers where available as kits and I also believe some were sold completed in the early days. There seems to be very little information regarding the C.R. Leutz/Norden Hauck story. I believe the old timers took that history to the grave. The Model C in your post would be a kit. Some of the Leutz receivers have copper lined cabinets, but yours looks like it was done by a home builder.

There are smarter people on this thread than I who can add some additional information, or correct me if I am steering you wrong.

I also picked up a Model C chassis at Estes.

R,

David

PostPosted: Feb Tue 02, 2021 11:09 pm 

It's of my understanding that many of the supheterodyne radios, from John's collection, were originally from Billy Richardson's collection. I think this little fact, alone, will generate discussion on many of these recently bought radios, especially the superhets, for a long time to come. My first impression, when I saw this panel, is that this was probably one of Billy's creations which didn't get beyond the front panel. This panel doesn't look old or restored, to me, instead it looks kind of newish. The only radio manufacturer, that I'm aware of, to have dated their panels was Neutrowound with their 1926, 1927, and 1928 models. Billy probably had a good idea of what he wanted the finished receiver to look like but the project eventually stalled and all there is to show, at this point, is this front panel. This may not be a bad thing. Someone could pick up the baton and run with this project, building it up to a complete Leutz based superhet of their own design that even Billy would have been proud of. Billy did the hard part, making the panel, so now all that needs to be done is make a wooden chassis and mount it with components all nicely wired up. Such a project would make a awesome contest entry with lots of history to support it. I'm guessing Billy's idea was to have this receiver based on the C-7 with, maybe, a few more IF stages.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 03, 2021 2:26 am 

Though I believe the "Presentation Model C-3" panel was made by Billy Richardson, there are other radio manufactures besides Neutrowound that put a date on the panel. Here is a photo of the panel of a Norden-Hauck radio I used to own that had a date of 1926 on it. I was able to inspect the engraving closely and believe it to be original.

Attachments:
Super 10 panel.JPG
Super 10 panel.JPG [ 341.2 KiB | Viewed 211 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Thu 04, 2021 2:04 am 

I got the Norden Hauck Navy C-10 home today.

It is a beauty!

-Steve

Attachments:
norden-hauck-navy-c10-2.jpg
norden-hauck-navy-c10-2.jpg [ 454.35 KiB | Viewed 169 times ]
norden-hauck-navy-c10-3.jpg
norden-hauck-navy-c10-3.jpg [ 680.44 KiB | Viewed 169 times ]

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Feb Thu 04, 2021 2:15 am 

Very cool, Steve! Great choice!

-Rodney

PostPosted: Feb Thu 04, 2021 2:16 am 

Looks great Steve! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Feb Thu 04, 2021 5:40 am 

That set is absolutely beautiful. Even the wood grain on the underside of the lid is beautiful. Congratulations on your acquisition.
R/ John

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1378 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69