Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sat 16, 2021 8:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA Victor 46x13
PostPosted: Jan Sun 03, 2021 6:20 pm 

Hello. Very first post. I bought an RCA Victor recently and I have some background in electrical repair but not much especially older stuff. The body is in beautiful condition. When I bought it all it would do is turn on and the light would turn on. I repaired some obvious issues like the power cord and antenna wires. Now it faintly picks up a few stations and there's actually sound coming out but it's weird and faint. From what I'm reading about some suggestions are replacing all caps and some are saying replace the tubes while others are saying don't bother. Tubes are working and don't appear damaged but they could be dim. I don't have much experience with old components. Any advice would be helpful for troubleshooting. Thanks

Post subject: Re: RCA Victor 46x13
PostPosted: Jan Sun 03, 2021 7:27 pm 

Here's the schematic: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymode ... 014953.pdf

Other the testing and replacing the tubes, here is a list of the minimum number of items to replace in order to assure a good performing radio.

C25...hum filter capacitor - 150v - 250v
C26...hum filter capacitor - 150v - 250v
C24...tone capacitor - 400v
C23...audio coupling capacitor - 400v
C22...audio coupling capacitor - 400v
C29...bypass capacitor - 150v
C27...spike capacitor - 600v

Make sure the filter caps are mounted with their correct polarities. Wrong polarities and they go BOOM and fill the room with a rather distinctive and unforgettable aroma.

I don't see any vital resistors that would have to be replaced.

Voltages are of the range I'd use in consideration to their specific function. Even though all of the capacitors will have essentially similar voltages across their plates, some capacitors will take more of an electrical beating then others and, therefore, require a higher voltage rating in order to assure a long life. The higher the voltage rating, the more durable the capacitor.

After you clean the volume control and tuning capacitor contacts, calibrate and align the set and you should have a good performing RCA radio.