Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sat 28, 2022 2:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: just picked up a 1942 Zenith 10S690 console
PostPosted: Apr Tue 13, 2010 8:07 pm 

I got a call today from a friend that wanted to get rid of this console. It's in rough shape but for free I couldn't turn it down. It looks to be a 1942 Zenith 10S690. I pluged it in & within a minute I heard a cap let go. I'm not sure what I'll do with it but here are some pics:

The same guy also has a beautiful grundig console from 1965 that I'm going to pick up tommorow. I'll post pics of that as well. - Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 13, 2010 9:54 pm 

Ed,

I sure like the Zenith! Hope it gets restored to it glory days. Great pictures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 14, 2010 1:09 am 

If it's THAT rough, the photos don't show it.

This is the year that Zenith went to the "square dial" instead of the "round dial." Some people like it, some hate it. Also, a lot of the console cabinets used photo-finish, so they're not as easy to redo -- but yours looks to be a solid cabinet.

I also don't quite understand why I see so MANY of these. Seems like there were a lot of 1942 radios out there -- must've made a lot of them in a very short time.

There's one thing you need to know about -- something that also causes people to shy away from these sets. Rubber wiring. Yes, it may be wise to pull the chassis out and rewire the set. Never owned one myself, but I'm told that once rebuilt it's a pretty nice performer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 14, 2010 2:17 am 

You know .. that was my very first console radio at age 10 or so . They are one of the best sounding radios made . Its a phono door radio so its not worth much .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 14, 2010 2:21 am 

That's the only redeeming factor to the '42 Zeniths.......they sound very good when working right. Great radios for non-collectors, because they have almost no value since they are so common.

I agree, the rubber wire problem could be serious. Best not to plug it in until every inch of it has been examined. Usually every inch of it needs to be replaced. A good all-day job if you are patient, but better spread out over several days.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 14, 2010 5:11 am 

Hi Ed and welcome!

Hopefully, the noise you heard was only a cap and not the transformer or speaker. As stated it is best not to power these sets up to 'test'. Just assume the original filter caps in all these old sets are shorted and shoud be replaced. That is a start, then after you find the set works, you can opt to change the other caps.

Please see:
http://antiqueradio.org/powerup.htm

Your set does look nice, and with a good cleanup, and wax, would look amazing.
Good luck with your set,
Gary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 14, 2010 10:10 am 

Ed Z -- I don't know your expertise level, but I just noticed you're right here in my neighborhood. If you have questions or need help with the project, please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 14, 2010 12:40 pm 

Thanks for your kind offer Gary, I am new to this hobby so I can use all the help I can get!!! I'll send you a PM with my email & phone number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 14, 2010 5:17 pm 

Ed, that will be a very nice performing Zenith radio once restored.
I know (as already mentioned) that many collectors don't care for the 1942 "square" dial, but I think they are wonderful models and good looking too. just my opinion.

They do have alot of rubber covered wiring that due to age will crumble. the worst part will be the wiring to the tone control panel (Radiorgan).

your Zenith also doesn't have the original record changer, however the one you have there, a Webster, is a good changer. It looks to have been replaced in the late 40s as the 33 1/3 and 45 RPM records became available and the original only played 78s.

Another thing to look out for is a loose spider suspension in the speaker. This is the flexible part down in the basket (frame) around the voice coil. It often comes loose in moist environments.

Nice radio, Congratulations.

-Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 14, 2010 8:31 pm 

I was wondering about that turntable not being original, thanks for clearing that up. I have several projects going at the moment but I'll get to this one soon. I'm thinking of giving it to my parents if I can get it working. - Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 14, 2010 10:47 pm 
Silent Key

Have almost the same console out here in the garage. Not sure of the model but it was called " The Chippendale" I think it is a 1946 model. Really was a good sounding radio. The reason i say was is that i turned it on one day and it made this real bad smell and started to smoke. I did recap it at one time so i am guessing the transformer is gone. Cabinet is in pretty sad shape so i doubt i will put the effort into it to bring it back to life. When i get time this summer i will pull it out (it is buried) and probably part it out
Stan Ski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 15, 2010 2:49 am 

I restored one of these recently, and it is a great performer. The internal antenna is about as good as my longwire! Great reception. I disconnected the turntable and connected an FM/MP3 player to the phono input to make it more versatile.