Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 04, 2022 2:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Unusual Zenith 1000M--Anyone Ever See One Before?
PostPosted: Apr Sat 02, 2011 2:51 pm 

At first I though someone had hacked this Zenith 1000, but it appears to be some special model :?:

Anyone familiar with it? Or is an April Fools joke?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zenith-Trans-Oceanic-Royal-1000-Short-Wave-Radio-/310308128442?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483fce46ba

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 02, 2011 4:19 pm 

sweet set

Last edited by pred on Aug Tue 23, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 02, 2011 7:36 pm 

Mutilated is more like it! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 02, 2011 8:39 pm 

Well now this is very interesting. I have been trying to figure out why anyone would go through the trouble to create a model plate sticker with the (M) after the R-1000 and why the schematic would have the original chassis number lined out and the new one with the (M) after it. I then looked at the rear view where the phono-radio switch and the phono plug have been moved to the top of the radio. I can only immagine that they were moved because gaining access to them would have been impeded in some way.
I believe that the radio was imbeded in a cabinet, hence there would be no need for a handle any longer just a need for an antenna imput which was added to the one corner. The battery meter was added because it was probably running off an outside power source that was important to keep track of AND NOT DRAIN OR YOU COULDN'T START YOUR ENGINE.
So perhaps the radio was produced and used on a boat or yaht and held in a cabinet of sorts by the extrusion coming out of the top center. Hence the designation (M) for Marine use. Since there were probably very few of these produced for the marine market, and they would not have been practical to use outside of the boat without a handle they either stayed with the boat or got tossed when the boat was refitted. Perhaps Zenith made a couple of hundered of these for marine use with this one being number 72.
JUST A THEORY :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 02, 2011 8:59 pm 

Makes sense. The model/sn sticker sure looks legit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sun 03, 2011 2:10 pm 

Zenith did do some "special market" T.0.'s" for the millitary so this could have been some sort of "special market" radio,especially with the low s.n. What doesn't look original are the 2 wires soldered onto the battery box connector plug. With some luck one of the ARF people will buy it and follow up with a post on whether it's legit. or a hack job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 05, 2011 4:53 pm 

So I emailed the seller for a couple of pics of the front with the cover down and these are what I got back. As you can see the SW world map cover is missing from the pocket, making it useless for any storage. This however is where the model number tag is located. Very strange, why bother with putting a model number tag in this spot, if it was originally hidden under the book pocket? This is one odd duck. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 05, 2011 7:21 pm 

I agree. It doesn't seem to make sense to remove the pocket and stick the model plate there. It could have easily been affixed inside the back cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 06, 2011 4:40 pm 

I can't remember any T.O's having a "metal plate" with the model & serial #. Most had the # on the back cover and the chassis # rubber stamped on the chassis or maybe the transistor layout diagram on the inside of the back cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 06, 2011 6:44 pm 

Yea there are just too many things wrong with this picture, but with nothing to compare it to it's almost impossible to figure out the why of it all. Cones and Bryant mention nothing about it in their book, but that does not mean it did not exist. I have a 7G605 that should not exist, and a companion radio in a TO cabinet from the factory. I can not understand why they would have placed the model number under the log pocket where it would never have been seen. Was there no pocket top on this radio to begin with and why not? If you are going to go through the trouble of putting a front cover on it at all why not leave the pocket on it. Infact why not just leave it the way it should be, seeing as how there still would be the same need for a log chart, world time map regardless of the application. The other thing is, why the corrosion in the battery compartment area if it was running off of an external power source. Hopefully an ARF member will get it and someday tell us what this thing is. It certainly ain't pretty. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 06, 2011 6:54 pm 

Zenithman2003 wrote:
...Hopefully an ARF member will get it and someday tell us what this thing is. It certainly ain't pretty. :lol:

Don't you think this radio should be in your collection? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 06, 2011 8:36 pm 

Ed: I think I see a bit of light. I think this was a zenith precurser to the ZX-5. A few pages from the back of Their new book, Cones and Bryant show A system ZX-5 that has the same type military whip antenna stalk and what looks like a loop antenna imput for directional finding. It also has what looks like the same DC meter. So maybe it was ment to be carried around in a back pack with the antenna sticking out the top. There is another old thread on a military radio here http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... 902e11ac21
M may stand for military, US marines or perhaps as discussed here Man pack. Perhaps it was Zeniths work in progress, hence they did not need a log chart. I did put a bid in on it lets see what happens. Art

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 06, 2011 9:00 pm 

Good research, Art. I think you may be right! It also appears to use the same dial drum and bezel as the 1000. Here's a (not so good) scanned picture of the ZX-5 Art is referring to:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 06, 2011 9:46 pm 

Well yea I did get it. I'll let you know what I find and take some better pictures. There also seems to be an extra plate which partially covers the two holes for the removable wave magnet in the back. On that plate there looks to be some sort of padder switch and an extra transistor. Should be intersting to see if it does indeed power up. The seller says it works, but we all know what that means. :lol: On the ZX-5 there is a 6 sided imput plug, and it looks like there may be one on this radio also. I'm wondering if it's an imput for a tape recorder. Art

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Wed 06, 2011 10:06 pm 

I'm glad you were able to get it. It may be the only survivor. Too bad there probably won't be a 3rd edition of Bryant & Cones' book. It would be cool to see your radio in there as a newly found model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 07, 2011 4:49 am 

Well Art, I'm glad it was you who got it, and you out bid me by $2.50 8)

Oh well, I should have called in sick to work, then I would have been able to monitor the auction a little better...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 07, 2011 5:57 pm 

Hi Shawn, Thanks, but you know the old saying be carefull what you wish for you just might get it. You know me, I only have room for the oddball stuff but this one is a little rougher than I'm used to. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Mon 18, 2011 10:53 pm 

Well It finally arrived today and I got to check it out. I also received today my copy of Zenith Transistor radios Evolution of a classic by Smith. I started paging through the book and pow there it was on page 80-84. This is the first version R1000 (M) with continous coverage of 100 Khz- 30Mhz. In place of a tone control there is a BFO control which allows reception of code and single-band signal. It was orignally housed in a rugged canvas backpack with a power supply and tape recorder. It also came with a Mic I guess for use with the tape recorder which could also record incoming signals. As you might be able to see on the band barrel the band widths are different and instead of the band designation on the right side of the barrel there are just numbers 1-8. The knob on the side also just has numbers. The power supply is not the same as a standard TO but they used the same style plug. The polarity is different however " don't ask me how I found out" :oops: I was able to hook up a battery pack from a 7000 to the two wires that were soldered to the battery pins. I got static on all bands. I then cleaned the band switches and the transistors. Still nothing but static. Then I noticed that one of the transistor sockets had 4 leg holes and the one that was in it had three, so I substituted the same tranistor from another 1000 and it sprang to life. I get perfect reception on Am but sketchy reception on SW. I should probubly pickup another working 1000 in tough shape and try swapping out the rest. You can see in the pics extra batteries housed in the top of the back pack. The antenna is painted military green and screws into the top of the radio. Another top part is supposed to screw into this piece. There is a switch on top for Radio-off-Mic. The battery meter works perfectly. The book says the records of how many were produced were lost but we know they made at least 72 of them. There were also two other military models made the ZX-5 I mentioned before and a much larger model with many more wistles and bells. Both of the others although decendents of the TO did not look like a civilian model. The front log chart did not exist on the military model so hence no need for a pocket. The top and bottom section of the front cover are also screwed together so they don't fold. Here are some pics.Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Mon 18, 2011 11:21 pm 

And the last paragraph on p.86 of Zenith Transistor Radios reads:

"...It is not known if any of these radios still exist. Locating one would certainly be the ultimate "find" for a Zenith "Trans-Oceanic" collector!"

Congratulations, Art! You may have the only surviving R1000M. When I originally started this thread, it never occured to me to check my copy of Zenith Transistor Radios, in fact I forgot I had a copy until you mentioned it, but as you said, there it is.

It sure would be interesting to know how that radio ended up on eBay.

I hope you will be posting more photos of the radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Tue 19, 2011 12:10 am 

Thanks Ed: I have to do a bit of cleaning, as this baby has seen hard times. I'll have to post some pics of the band spreads which are different in each case from a regular TO. You can see in the book where there were a number of Zenith engineers that worked on this project so it must have been a big deal at the time. It says it was taylor made for the CIA, so like you said I wonder how it made it to the private sector after all these years. Only the second and third version in the fiberglass case had a military designation plate. It went from the ZX-5 to the PR-15 and the R-1484/PRR-15(Z). They made 100 of them for the Marines. Only the ZX-5 looked a little like the 3000 model with the same style band selector. It had FM as well. Well at least we know what it is now, if the seller had just posted a pic of the top I think we could have figured out pretty fast that it was not a hacked 1000. I'll post some more pics tomorrow, Thanks Art.