Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Wed 22, 2020 2:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1942 Freed Eisemann Frequency Modulation
PostPosted: Feb Fri 03, 2012 3:00 am 

Now that I have this beauty home, I was able to take some decent pictures of it.
This is a 19 tube 1942 Freed Eisemann model 52. The AM and FM sections in this radio are not shared. They are distinctly separate. One side of the chassis is AM/Shortwave, the other FM. Of course, the FM section tunes 42-50 MHz.

here is an article in November 1941 Consumer Reports magazine which has this radio listed. As well as some other wonderful pre-war FM radios!
http://www.vacuumtubeera.net/ConsumersR ... 941-FM.pdf

Unfortunately, the changer was replaced, but it appears the original motorboard is unaltered. According to the article, the changer was a Garrard RC30A, but who knows if I'll ever find one :P

The amplifier uses 6Y6 output tubes, which is a little unusual. There was a higher end model (70-110 Aristocrat) which used 6L6s.

I've known about this radio as a friend picked one of back in 1987 or so. I've wanted one since! Took 25 years, but here it is! :D

-Steve

Attachments:
freedeisemann52-5.jpg
freedeisemann52-5.jpg [ 82.8 KiB | Viewed 4498 times ]
freedeisemann52-4.jpg
freedeisemann52-4.jpg [ 34.36 KiB | Viewed 4498 times ]
freedeisemann52-3.jpg
freedeisemann52-3.jpg [ 74.32 KiB | Viewed 4498 times ]
freedeisemann52-2.jpg
freedeisemann52-2.jpg [ 49.23 KiB | Viewed 4498 times ]
freedeisemann52-1.jpg
freedeisemann52-1.jpg [ 52.68 KiB | Viewed 4498 times ]

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

Post subject: Re: 1942 Freed Eisemann Frequency Modulation
PostPosted: Feb Fri 03, 2012 3:31 am 

That's beautiful! Congratulations. In my searches for information on my Philharmonic I invariably run across the Freed-Eisemanns. Frequently their ads ran side by side in the NY Times. What do you know of the Freed-Eisemann company?

PostPosted: Feb Fri 03, 2012 3:44 am 

Thank you!

I don't know much more than what Alan Douglas wrote in Radio Manufacturers of the 1920s. It seems it was reorganized a couple times.

After going under in 1930, Arthur Freed formed the "Freed Radio and Television Corp." may 1931, then again he and his brother Joe formed "Freed Radio Corp." in 1940, becoming an Armstrong licensed FM manufacturer.
I wonder if the company even made it past the war?

Its all quite fascinating how companies came and went like the wind.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Feb Fri 03, 2012 3:53 am 

The next generation of Garrards frequently show up on Ebay. I have a 50's model.

I hope you find the original turntable for your player.

That's a beautiful machine!

PostPosted: Feb Fri 03, 2012 5:12 am 

Found Mr. Freed's Obit in the NY Times:

Apr. 19, 1941

Joseph David Roth Freed, president of the Freed Radio Corporation and a pioneer manufacturer of radio receiving sets in this country, died early yesterday in his home, 3001 Henry Hudson Parkway, Riverdale, after a short illness. His age was 43.

Mr. Freed at an early age developed a receiver set that went into millions of American homes bearing the name Freed-Eisemann, and, at his death, was again engaged in experimental work in connection with frequency modulation.

Graduate of City College

He was born in New York on Oct. 18, 1897, and attended the public elementary and secondary high schools. He was graduated from the College of the City of New York in 1917 with a Bachelor of Science degree. After graduation Mr. Freed went into the radio test shop in the Washington Navy Yard, where he designed many improvements in radio apparatus which were accepted and placed in general use by the United States Navy.

After the war he became assistant chief engineer of the Wireless Improvement Company, a post he held until June, 1921, when he began to see possibilities in radio broadcasting. In that year he organized and headed the Freed-Eisemann Radio Corporation. Four years later Mr. Freed became head of a radio-manufacturing business the annual sales of which exceeded $6,000,000. He also developed special neutrodyne radio equipment for the Navy.

Executive of Brunswick Radio

In 1931, Mr. Freed, who had found radio communication a most absorbing career, joined Warner Brothers Pictures, Inc. as a radio executive in charge of Brunswick Radio Corporation, then a subsidiary of the motion picture corporation. He continued in that capacity until 1938, when he became vice president and general manager of the Muzak Corporation, a music reproducing system that serves dinner and dance music to hotels, cafes, bars and restaurants in all parts of the city.

Last year he returned to the manufacture of radio sets as the head of Freed Radio Corporation with offices at 39 West Nineteenth Street. In September 1929, he was made a lieutenant commander in the United States Naval Reserve, attached to the Third District, and has been in the reserve ever since.

He leaves a Widow, his father, Harry; a son, Robert and four brothers, Leo, Edwin, Irving, and Arthur.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 03, 2012 5:25 am 

The Freed Radio Corporation that built your Freed-Eiseman was formed in July 1940 with Joseph D. R. Freed, president; Max Adelberg, vice president and treasurer; and Melvin Zalkin, vice president and secretary - no mention of Arthur in the July 31, 1940 NY Times article. Perhaps Arthur stepped in when his brother died.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 03, 2012 7:43 am 

As a former owner/operator of PP 6Y6 chassis from the late 40s, I can vouch there's nothing wrong with a 6Y6.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 03, 2012 2:12 pm 

arbilab: I'm not knocking the 6Y6, I'm sure it is a good output tube, it's just that you don't see them used very often. I think I have only one other radio in my collection that uses a pair.

TheRed1: Interesting about Arthur Freed. I know there is a political cartoon which is seen in "Zenith Radio, the Glory Years, 1936-1945: History and Products" which features Arthur Freed on board the "Frequency Modulation train".

Thanks for all the responses!

-Steve

EDIT: Here is the cartoon.

Attachments:
fm-train.jpg
fm-train.jpg [ 113.13 KiB | Viewed 4387 times ]

-Pre-War FM

Last edited by azenithnut on Feb Sat 04, 2012 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 03, 2012 11:56 pm 

Hawhawhaw, I'm just fond of 6Y6 from that Westy console chassis. I put 6V6 and 6L6 in those sockets and it didn't explode but it didn't work quite right either.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 05, 2012 12:58 am 

Sorry to bombard everyone with my blathering, but I just thought I would add this photo of the Freed 52 alongside my Zenith 12h689. Both radios are featured in that CU report I linked to on the original post. The Zenith got much better ratings, however, the all-round best is a radio mentioned in the article is the Philharmonic Futura K-1

Surprisingly enough, a member here on the forum (TheRed1) has a fantastic example of one and posted about it here.

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... 39&start=0

I would love to see examples of other radios in that article. Also, they mention reporting about the Philco FM models in an the August 1941 issue. I wonder if anyone has a copy? Judging that Philco's circuit was considered inferior, I would love to read the details!

-Steve

P.S. just disregard the RME and the Crosley in that photo. I should have removed them.

Attachments:
zenith-freed-fm.jpg
zenith-freed-fm.jpg [ 67.48 KiB | Viewed 4361 times ]

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Feb Sun 05, 2012 1:28 am 

Quote:
Also, they mention reporting about the Philco FM models in an the August 1941 issue. I wonder if anyone has a copy? Judging that Philco's circuit was considered inferior, I would love to read the details!

Steve - The August 1941, Consumer Report article about Philco FM is on my website. Not much too it, just a warning that Philco had "imitation" FM:
http://www.vacuumtubeera.net/ConsumersR ... ilcoFM.pdf

Robert H.
http://www.VacuumTubeEra.net

PostPosted: Feb Sun 05, 2012 1:35 am 

Wow, I'm quite embarrassed now :oops:

Yes, I just found it and was about to edit my post. You caught me with my pants down... figuratively of course.

I seem to be poor at research... sometimes its right under my nose.

Still, thank you for putting these on the web and pointing my mistake out. I'm appreciative even if embarrassed :)
-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Feb Mon 06, 2012 1:50 am 

You'll find almost nothing on Freed-Eisemann in Rider. I seem to recall a couple of schematics, and that all there be!

I have a prewar table set with a similar dial setuo to yours. It has P-P 6Y6 output, if I recall. It weighs a ton! I also have a postwar Freed-Eisemann phono combination, with both FM bands. It was done similarly to the one you have. There's a big Jensen woofer, which might be a coax. I've never had it out. The radio chassis is built like military electronics. The original changer was replaced by a Garrard AT-6 changer. The set is just damnably beautiful.

Freed-Eisemann also made a radio for institutional use. It's a table set, covered in faux leather. It covers the AM and current FM band. Its appearance is anything but handsome.....downright spartan. It has a single 6L6, driving a big hunker Jensen 8 inch speaker. Again, nothing in Rider on it, either. I re-capped it, and John Okolowicz (Grillecloth.com) had exactly the original cloth for it. I re-capped it, put a new eye tube in it, and it's a hot performer (and sounds good, too).

I was amused by the juxtaposition of a Zenith set to the Freed-Eisemann. Sort of like setting a Chevrolet next to a Duesenberg.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 06, 2012 3:28 am 

Doug, I would love to see pictures of your Freed Eisemann radios especially the postwar with both FM bands!

I knew GE, Magnavox, Stromberg Carlson and Zenith had radios with both bands, but I wasn't aware of Freed Eisemann making any.

Yes, putting it with the Zenith is kinda funny. I look forward to hearing the performance of my F-E. I bet those 6Y6Gs will do a good job!

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Feb Wed 08, 2012 3:37 pm 

Oh, just a note.

I cleaned the cabinet with the white creamy hand cleaner you can get at automotive parts stores. (NAPA brand actually) Though Gojo, Goop, DL Permatex and others work just as well just as long as it is the white creamy smooth stuff. NOT THE GRITTY ORANGE PUMICE STUFF

A bit of clarification is in order as others keep saying it doesn't work and suggest other stuff such as Howards.

Gojo, et al will NOT "fix" a finish. It will not put back that which has already been lost.

What it WILL do is clean off all the old crud, dirt, wax that has built up on the finish over the years. If the finish is in good condition to begin with, it will make a HUGE improvement!

What you can do after cleaning, is apply a new coating of wax or polish to make the finish hold its beauty.

But in my humble opinion, trying to "repair" a finish with a product that softens the original finish to allow it to re-flow in a smooth new surface is impossible if there is a thick layer of wax and dirt still on it. :P

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Feb Wed 08, 2012 4:42 pm 

doug houston wrote:
You'll find almost nothing on Freed-Eisemann in Rider. I seem to recall a couple of schematics, and that all there be!

Freed-Eisemann also made a radio for institutional use. It's a table set, covered in faux leather. It covers the AM and current FM band. Its appearance is anything but handsome.....downright spartan. It has a single 6L6, driving a big hunker Jensen 8 inch speaker. Again, nothing in Rider on it, either. I re-capped it, and John Okolowicz (Grillecloth.com) had exactly the original cloth for it. I re-capped it, put a new eye tube in it, and it's a hot performer (and sounds good, too).

I found a nice web page for this Freed-Eisemann "Educator" radio, they liked to give each set a name
http://lrts.stcloudstate.edu/library/sp ... /freed.asp

Don

PostPosted: Feb Wed 08, 2012 5:39 pm 

Congratulations on finding such a nice and interesting radio.

Thanks all for the news and information regarding the people and companies.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 08, 2012 10:34 pm 

I have a table set that has that exact upper chassis. The speaker fits between the two tuning dials. I wonder if they used one chassis that year and in this case, added a big amp. Kind of like what RCA did with the C-15-3 chassis to make the D-22. Your set has a nice look in that cabinet, the way the two dials look.

I did have a later Freed set using the same cabinet, but with a different upper chassis. It was built really well, and sounded great. Had two 6L6 output tubes. Just didn't need it in the collection, but it was a very good player.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 03, 2014 2:07 am 

Yeah, I know its been over two years ago, but wonders never cease!

I actually found a Garrard RC-30A! I bought it not even realizing what it was. :shock: My mind is seriously slipping!
Anyhow, it is on the rough side, but an RC-30A indeed!

EDIT: Well, that didn't work out so well... The original motor board is under the piece of plywood the VM changer was mounted to, BUT.... the opening doesn't match up with the RC30A at all. :(

I wonder what was originally in this model???

-Steve

Attachments:
freed-phono2.jpg
freed-phono2.jpg [ 90.84 KiB | Viewed 3821 times ]
freed-phono1.jpg
freed-phono1.jpg [ 46.27 KiB | Viewed 3821 times ]
garrard-rc-30a.jpg
garrard-rc-30a.jpg [ 72.12 KiB | Viewed 3820 times ]

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Jun Tue 03, 2014 5:27 am 

azenithnut wrote:
here is an article in November 1941 Consumer Reports magazine which has this radio listed. As well as some other wonderful pre-war FM radios!
http://www.vacuumtubeera.net/ConsumersR ... 941-FM.pdf
That article mentions that they planned another one for January, which would be January of 1942. Any ideas on how to find a copy?

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2  Next