Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 16, 2021 3:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Grigsby-Grunow End ?
PostPosted: Apr Thu 10, 2014 2:10 am 

I see Grigsby-Grunow's Majestic's listed as 'pre 1933'. When did actual production cease ? More to the point - would this mean that Majestic's 1932 model year was cut short, resulting in fewer 1932 model radio's being made ? Finally, are there any production statistic's on Majestic radio's of the late 1920's through Grigsby-Grunow's demise.

Last edited by Drew on Apr Thu 10, 2014 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Grigsby-Grunow End ?
PostPosted: Apr Thu 10, 2014 2:25 am 

From what i know, Grigsby-Grunow did get the 1933 models into production. There seems to be plenty around.

Commander McDonald watched the company closely and snatched up their factory on Dickens ave when it came available.

-Steve

EDIT: Looking through Radio-Retailing, Grigsby-Grunow put up an extensive advertising blitz from 1932 through 1933 advertising 1934 models in the September issue.
However, the October issue has a full page ad of their "Liquidation Sale" all assets, machinery and factory buildings to be sold.

November a tiny ad about using genuine Majestic parts appeared, then December 33 issue has a full page ad promoting Grunow radios (General Household Utilities)
Mr. Grunow wasted no time getting back in the business!

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Apr Thu 10, 2014 3:00 am 

Grunow didn't survive long, either; despite making the home radio line, and supplying radios for Delco, they were out of business by 1938.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 10, 2014 3:49 am 

After leaving the radio and refrigerator business, Grunow moved to Wisconsin and ran a chicken farm. The Grunow family still lives near Lake Geneva, WI.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 10, 2014 5:00 am 

Please look up the long item relative to the Grigsby-Grunow bankruptcy that I posted on this site January 5, 2012.

It is based on considerable research from two respected Chicago newspapers and the Associated Press.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 10, 2014 2:09 pm 

Hello Drew,

See also my articles in ARC Sept/Oct 2010 (combined edition). The web editions are available here:-
http://www.antiqueradio.com/SepOct10_Tu ... Part1.html
http://www.antiqueradio.com/SepOct10_Tu ... Part2.html

Incidentally, I recently saw the movie "Raw Deal" (1986 Arnold Shwarzenegger) concerning the Chicago Mafia. Lo and behold I recognized the house built by William Grunow (later purchased by Maffia boss the "Big Tuna" - see Part I of my article) in the movie, shot briefly as the site of a "Mob" party. The movie characters were all fictional (I think).

Paul http://www.tuberadioland.com