Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 22, 2020 9:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1925 Thermiodyne TF6 opinions please
PostPosted: Apr Fri 25, 2014 12:35 pm 

I know someone who is selling one of these in very good condition and working, for $250, without a speaker. It's not a set I would normally seek-out, but if I hear some good things about the set, and the deal, I may consider it. Also, was there a factory correct speaker for this set, or just any generic one was meant to be purchased separately for it?
Thank you,
Joe
I just saw this ad for it and I wonder if the AK type horn was just shown as an optional speaker:

Post subject: Re: 1925 Thermiodyne TF6 opinions please
PostPosted: Apr Fri 25, 2014 3:22 pm 

I have one of these unrestored. I've read that it is one of the first "single dial" TRF sets. While the main tuning caps are ganged together, each stage has a trimmer knob for fine adjustments. It seems well-made but I can't vouch for its performance. Alan Douglas has an excellent chapter on the Thermiodyne company (pronounced Therm-MY-odyne) in Volume 3 of his series Radio Manufacturers of the 1920's describing the history of the company and showing many ads and pictures. A different December 1924 ad depicts a TF6 along with the same generic-looking, AK-style horn speaker shown in your ad. But I don't think there was any particular "correct" speaker sold with the TF6.

I'm not really into 1920's battery sets but the fact that is was made just North of me in Plattsburgh, NY piqued my interest. Mine is also in very good condition but I have no idea of it's current value.

Dave

PostPosted: Apr Fri 25, 2014 5:08 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:
I have one of these unrestored. I've read that it is one of the first "single dial" TRF sets. While the main tuning caps are ganged together, each stage has a trimmer knob for fine adjustments. It seems well-made but I can't vouch for its performance. Alan Douglas has an excellent chapter on the Thermiodyne company (pronounced Therm-MY-odyne) in Volume 3 of his series Radio Manufacturers of the 1920's describing the history of the company and showing many ads and pictures. A different December 1924 ad depicts a TF6 along with the same generic-looking, AK-style horn speaker shown in your ad. But I don't think there was any particular "correct" speaker sold with the TF6.

I'm not really into 1920's battery sets but the fact that is was made just North of me in Plattsburgh, NY piqued my interest. Mine is also in very good condition but I have no idea of it's current value.

Dave

Thank you Dave. I do have Alan's book, but haven't yet had the chance to read the chapter. I too am not really a battery radio collector (I have one - an AK 20), but I do find them interesting. I probably will just pass on this one because of the VERY limited space I have unless I hear something enticing about the set.
Joe

PostPosted: Apr Fri 25, 2014 5:55 pm 

They are rather large, but the construction is first-class and they were technically ahead of their time. The illustrated speaker is a Music Master. Thermiodyne made the similar model 175 for Music Master, so there was some tie-in.

$250 is on the high side; the set would have to be perfect and not refinished.

You can read all about the company in vol.3. I remember that chapter: the publisher decided to change "doubtless" to "doubtlessly" without my knowing.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 25, 2014 7:55 pm 

Alan Douglas wrote:
They are rather large, but the construction is first-class and they were technically ahead of their time. The illustrated speaker is a Music Master. Thermiodyne made the similar model 175 for Music Master, so there was some tie-in.

$250 is on the high side; the set would have to be perfect and not refinished.

You can read all about the company in vol.3. I remember that chapter: the publisher decided to change "doubtless" to "doubtlessly" without my knowing.

Thank you Alan. I will look forward to reading the chapter. The set is supposed to be an excellent original, but I doubt I'll get it due to space limitations. It would have to be a set I really love more than just find interesting. Besides, since I like using my sets I'll be looking for the Music-Master horn speaker and a battery eliminator!

PostPosted: Apr Fri 25, 2014 10:29 pm 

threre's an article in the may 1931 issue of the IRE about the tf-5 & tf-6