Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 22, 2019 3:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What to do with a Philco 46-1209 console?
PostPosted: Apr Tue 28, 2015 2:17 am 

I’ve got a Philco 46-1209 with a rather beat-up cabinet hanging around the house. It’s time to do something with it.

It’s missing the phonograph and all of its supports. I think someone scavaenged them to restore another Philco.

The knobs were missing too. I put generic replacements on it.

The finish is pretty beat-up ...
… and I put a big dent in it when I brought it home.

I’m not sure how to patch this. Cut it out, fit a wooden plug, and patch the veneer? Fill it (with what?) and patch the veneer? Fill and touch-up paint some fake woodgrain?

There’s water damage on the top, too.

And this side needs some veneer repair, too.

I replaced the electrolytics and it works, but I’ve yet to replace the paper capacitors and check the resistors. It has a fair amount of static, so either I’ve got a leaky paper cap or it has silver-mica disease.

The speaker is in good shape.

Here’s the tube complement. It has Philco’s funky paraphase push-pull output stage with a pair of 6V6’s.

So, the question is what should I do with it? I believe it is a fairly common model. Should I part it out and have a cabinet bonfire? Give it away? (Fat chance of any takers for that!) Restore it? I’ve never tried refinishing, so it would be a challenge to bring this console back, but on the other hand it would be good practice on something that’s no big loss if I screw it up.

Post subject: Re: What to do with a Philco 46-1209 console?
PostPosted: Apr Tue 28, 2015 4:14 am 

I restored one of those about 5/6 years ago and sold it locally to a yuppy for $250.
Phil

PostPosted: Apr Tue 28, 2015 7:07 am 

Anything with push pull outputs is good to play with... :D .I would use it to practice refinishing, maybe using different methods on various parts of it, to see what works.

Then if you like it, think about adding a turntable.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 28, 2015 1:51 pm 

I restored a 46-1209 for a friend of mine a few years ago. It's a good sounding radio when all of the caps are replaced and an alignment is done and the sensitivity is good with the built in antenna. Harry

PostPosted: Apr Tue 28, 2015 2:12 pm 

It's not a bad set, but since it's postwar and had limited collector appeal, this can be one to customize if you are so inclined. :lol:

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Apr Tue 28, 2015 2:55 pm 

It does perform well even with the paper caps, if you ignore the static. But I have better radios in the restoration queue, so this one wouldn't be a keeper, hence my mixed feelings about restoring it. If I can unload it locally once it's restored, I guess it'd be worth the effort for the learning experience. I'd probably put a bluetooth receiver in it rather than replacing the changer.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 28, 2015 3:15 pm 

I'd unload it to the first buyer that offered $35.00. Common, too new a console.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 28, 2015 3:33 pm 

I looks like you have two choices.. ,,restore it or sell it as is .If you were to restore it
it would be good practice as far as wood work is concerned.. just follow the ''RECREATING A 1930S FINISH'' format
found on this forum. It is not that hard.. If you mess-up then it does not matter...
You may get a radio later that you really want to keep and at least you will have had some experience
in refinishing to work on it
Wood working may not be your thing , so in that case sell it as is.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 28, 2015 3:46 pm 

chaz wrote:
I looks like you have two choices.. ,,restore it or sell it as is .If you were to restore it
it would be good practice as far as wood work is concerned.. just follow the ''RECREATING A 1930S FINISH'' format
found on this forum. It is not that hard.. If you mess-up then it does not matter...
You may get a radio later that you really want to keep and at least you will have had some experience
in refinishing to work on it
Wood working may not be your thing , so in that case sell it as is.

Part of my quandary is that I doubt that I could sell it or even give it away as-is. Hence my musing about parting it out.

But I do want to learn how to refinish wooden radios and this radio is a good opportunity for that. There's some hope I could unload it for a few tens of dollars when I'm done.

Thanks for the pointer to the "Recreating a 1930's Lacquer Finish" feature on ARF. I'd never seen it before; somehow I missed it on my browsing on ARF.

Last edited by stevebyan on Apr Tue 28, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 28, 2015 6:34 pm 

Hi Steve,
It is hard to advise someone on how to deal with something like this; each person will have to make his own decision. But I can tell you this: Philco 46-1209, while not particularly valuable, is a very good-performing radio. In my small radio-repair shop I have done electronic restoration of about 3 of these for customers over the past 10-15 years. The cost to restore each of them was probably more than their so-called "market value", yet in each case the customer was thrilled with the results and the fact that they could once again play and enjoy their radio, and perhaps pass it along to their children, grand-children, etc. But of course none of them were planning to sell it, certainly had no hope of turning a profit by doing so. And while I don't do cabinet restoration in my business, I do restore and refinish cabinets of my own personal radios. The 46-1209 is a good wood cabinet with no photo-finish, should be easy to work on and to perfect your refinishing skills, and is in good styling which can look great once refinished.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 29, 2015 11:42 pm 

I vote for trying to refinish the cabinet. Gives you a chance to see if you can do this and enjoy it. If it does not pan out you can always sell the knobs etc
Stan Ski

PostPosted: Apr Thu 30, 2015 12:56 am 

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try to restore the cabinet. The weather is warm enough for it now. If that works out, I'll restore the chassis.

PostPosted: May Fri 01, 2015 9:21 pm 

Great that you're going to restore it! Note: it does not have silver mica disease, which is found in sets with slug-tuned IF's having built-in open-style mica caps. From the photo this set has the older conventional IF's with mica trimmers up top.

PostPosted: May Fri 01, 2015 10:23 pm 

wrnewton wrote:
Great that you're going to restore it! Note: it does not have silver mica disease, which is found in sets with slug-tuned IF's having built-in open-style mica caps. From the photo this set has the older conventional IF's with mica trimmers up top.

Thanks for pointing that out. Good to know I'm just hearing the wax paper capacitors punch-through :-)