Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 20, 2021 11:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Look what I found in the garbage, RCA Victor RAE 79
PostPosted: Oct Tue 06, 2015 5:48 pm 

You scored on that one! There were five radio automatic phonographs in the series: The RAE 26 listed for $247.50, the RAE 59, RAE 68 and RAE 84 were progressively priced mid models, while the RAE 79 was the highest priced one. All of them were housed in complex styled cabinets. For pictures of other makes and models, see the thread on this site called "Let's See Your Earliest Radio Phonograph". Here are pictures of the lowest priced RAE 26. Russie

Attachments:
photo (138).JPG
photo (138).JPG [ 187.21 KiB | Viewed 2204 times ]
photo (137).JPG
photo (137).JPG [ 98.07 KiB | Viewed 2204 times ]
photo (136).JPG
photo (136).JPG [ 165.33 KiB | Viewed 2204 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Tue 06, 2015 6:01 pm 

Congratulations! How on Earth did you get that into a vehicle by yourself?

Rima and I own three rental houses in Toledo and toured the area with Jim Moody of Flex Realty, even ate at Tony Packos, but had no idea such stuff could be found in that area.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 06, 2015 11:30 pm 

Holy Moly!

PostPosted: Oct Tue 06, 2015 11:59 pm 

Dear Bus,
You must be the strongest man on earth to have gotten that in your truck.Good luck with that.You are very fortunate.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 07, 2015 12:30 am 

I am just simply amazed...stunned that you found such a radio in the GARBAGE!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

That is unbelievable! Congratulations! I would have been all over that! I don't know that I would try to muscle it away from you, but I would have stood there green with envy! :D :mrgreen: :lol:

It even has the remote with it which is something in and of itself. I take it the microphone was nowhere to be found?

Oooh boy!

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Oct Wed 07, 2015 1:09 am 

We moved to Toledo when I was a kid, dad worked for AMC-Jeep and transferred here in `81 ish. I always wanted to move someplace more interesting, out west was my plan but later I got into vintage autos-antiques and collecting. As time went on I found that this area is a hot bed for clubs, shows, collecting and finding need old stuff and that kept me here. Toledo is a port town on Lake Erie set down at the bottom and seems most everything was shipped through Toledo, Cleveland or Detroit all of which are an hour drive of each other, lots of good stuff to be found around here.

As far as lifting the thing in the truck...that almost didn't happen. This is what I was driving...
Attachment:
12011135_916344281771368_8012892460230130658_n.jpg
12011135_916344281771368_8012892460230130658_n.jpg [ 34.76 KiB | Viewed 2158 times ]

I collect BIG `50s and `60s consoles and inch for inch nothing I have ever lifted was as heavy as this thing!
I was able to tip the top edge into the side of my bed then lifted from the bottom. The thing is the bed is slighter higher then the bottom I was holding. Usually I can HEFT the end I am holding up into the truck but this was far too heavy. I could only hold it, standing up with my arms fully outstretched down at my sides. I sat there for what seemed several minutes pondering what to do as I really could not lower it back down without dropping it. I then notice the grass to my side went up like a hill. I walked sideways and as I did me and the console raised up and I was able to slide it sideways onto the edge of the bed. The muscles in my hands, arms and back are still torn-sore. LOL But it was well worth it in hind sight.

Spoke with ChuckA on the phone last night, what a nice guy and a wealth or information on this model. He shed a lot of light onto the pluses minuses and dos and don't with this thing. As I mentioned right now I am just leaving her as is in a nice safe-dry place until I decide what I am going to do with it. It seems to be a project that would command all of my free time and I am not sure if that is what I am interested in at this moment.

If anyone wants to stop by and take a peek at her you are more then welcome too. I have a few local Radio guys itching to stop by and see it, she is quite the beast.

T

PostPosted: Oct Wed 07, 2015 1:27 am 

OMG!!! A split-window VW pickup! Oh what a perfect vehicle for such pickings! :D

The heaviest thing I have ever tried to load is that 1947 General Electric 901 projection TV I bought from Travis Cape.
To this day, i don't know HOW I managed to do it!

-Steve

P.S. I would love to see your beast! Maybe sometime I can head up your way. :D

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Oct Wed 07, 2015 5:26 am 

When you have something you want bad enough, seems you can always find a way to muster the strength! I found rare 1960 VW bus engine (also in someone's trash). I was alone and driving an `86 VW golf hatch back. The rear hatch is about at your waist and there was NO way I could lift a complete engine all alone that high. I had no tools to disassemble it and did not want to leave it. So I scrounged other garbage from that house and neighbors. I tipped one side and wedged stuff under it. Then tipped the other side even higher and wedged junk under that. I kept building it up until the engine was high enough to push into my open hatch. It took me a good 20 minutes to do and you should have seen the tower of junk I made!

I have been into Vintage VWs for over 25 years and owned around 120 air cooled VWs over that time. I currently own 3 split buses still and one of them being a 1960 Westfalia camper with a one year only engine that was recalled (mine escaped the recall) and referred to as the "bastard engine". Hence my moniker "bastardbus" which I have used on every single forum I have joined since the earliest days of the internet.

BTW that engine I spoke of in the story above was indeed a "bastard engine" and I still have it in storage as a spare to this day. How is that for tying a story all together. :wink:

I can't tell you how cool the bus probably looked driving down the road with that RCA and a couple Antique chairs in the back of the single cab. I always have people staring and yelling at me when I drive that thing anyhow. Had I known how rare this radio was I would have snapped some pics before unloading it.

NO, I am not loading back in the bus for just a picture either. HAHAHAHA!

T

PostPosted: Oct Wed 07, 2015 5:34 am 

just a suggestion. if you have a pick up or a truck like yours, always carry 1, or 2 5- 6' long 2" x 12"
boards in the back of the truck. even if you only have to use them once to slide something in the bed of the truck, its worth it. better than a sore back or torn muscles.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 07, 2015 12:53 pm 

Just amazing! I had no idea you were a VW enthusiast.

I've owned four air cooled VW beetles (72, 73, 74 Auto-Stickshift and lastly a nice 65) and a 73 Bus.

I bought the bus with the rare fully automatic transaxle, which was defective. Spent the summer of 1988 retrofitting it with a more common manual transaxle.

I have always aspired to own a 1967 split-window bus, but the opportunity hasn't presented itself.
1967 as that is the year I was born. :D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Oct Wed 07, 2015 5:20 pm 

What a eletro-mechanical work of art. What I have always been fascinated with is the engineering teams would designed such things. I love to hear their stories of how they such equipment came about. Sadly so much has been lost.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 07, 2015 5:31 pm 

azenithnut wrote:
Just amazing! I had no idea you were a VW enthusiast.

I've owned four air cooled VW beetles (72, 73, 74 Auto-Stickshift and lastly a nice 65) and a 73 Bus.

I bought the bus with the rare fully automatic transaxle, which was defective. Spent the summer of 1988 retrofitting it with a more common manual transaxle.

I have always aspired to own a 1967 split-window bus, but the opportunity hasn't presented itself.
1967 as that is the year I was born. :D

-Steve

I have had at least 10 air cooled VW's the oldest being a 1962 Beetle the the cloth sun roof. had a couple of Type 2's,
and a couple of split windowed Bus's a 1964 being my favorite, it had the gas heater which I actually refurbished and used. I had one type 4, the 412, the last vehicle Porsche designed for VW, mine was a direct import from Germany with the standard transmission. it could cruise comfortably at 115 mph.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 07, 2015 5:46 pm 

You are lucky, $500.00 just the way it sits. Nooo, not from me but just an opinion.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 07, 2015 5:47 pm 

My 73 T2 Bus had the same engine as the type 4.

It was a 1700cc engine that was different from the Beetle. I understand it was also used in the Porsche 914.
When I got the Bus, it would barely run. Turns out the twin carburetors were screwed up.
I replaced them with a carburetor kit from Weber with a twin barrel progressive carb.

Oh what a difference! That engine was amazing! Once I replaced the tranny, it made the trip to ARCI Radiofest in Elgin, Ill and the AWA conference in Canandaigua, NY in 1988.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Oct Wed 07, 2015 8:57 pm 

Not many VW Transporters running around any more. Yes it was a 1.7L engine, later this engine was blown out to 1.8l, and finally 2.0L this last is the best of the bunch mainly because it has hydraulic valve lifters, The twin Solex's where a booger to sync. The Weber setup you used is the way to go. The 914 was actually designed to be a replacement for the VW Karmen Ghia and is not considered a true Porsche by it's fans. In fact in Europe they where VW-Porsches, only the 914-6_GT which had the 911T boxer 6 was consider a Porsche.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 07, 2015 9:42 pm 

I wasn't going to wander to off topic but since everyone is chatting VWs for a minute guess I will too.

VWs were the first major thing I collected over the years. Eventually restoring them turned into my business down the road (Auto Restoration). I am currently (still) the Pres of the GTVWC (Toledo VW Club) I think I am the only remaining original member from 25 years ago too.

You would probably crap if you saw some of the rare VWs I have owned over the years, total about 120 air cooleds on the list. I owned at least a half dozen split window beetles and at 40+ plus split buses . I was married in my all original June `52 rag top, crotch cooler split window beetle, probably the rarest, most desirable bug next to a Hebmuler.

Couple pics of some of my more memorable VWs
1950 Hoffman Split, this car was one of the first official batch sent to the Hoffman Dealership in 1950
1951 Hardtop that was rolled and I clipped the roof with a Sunroof clip, sold and it was a feature car in Hot VWs Magazine
June 1952 11G Factory Sunroof car.
My Wedding and the cars for the wedding party, all vehicles my shop restored.
My back yard in late `90s

I have had a LOT of very rare buses before the prices went through the roof. Dormobiles, Early Deluxes, Westfalias galore. It would make you sick to see what I have cut up over the years. I only have three split buses now, the single cab and two westies pictured here.
1960 Westfalia only 47K Miles and everything original including paint.
This is a `62 So-34 Westfalia I restored, still own currently.

This RCA is REALLY cool...but I tell you would have rather found an old VW passenger bus tucked in a barn someone wants rid of cheap! We have had a couple kids and I really need a passenger bus now :wink:

T

PostPosted: Oct Thu 08, 2015 12:13 am 

Wow!
Ok, my VW collection coudn't hold a candle to yours! Yowza! :shock: :D

I also owned a 1987 and 1989 VW Fox. I wonder why i wanted those? :lol:

Nothing VW here anymore. I sold them all... Just don't have room to work on them, resources or time. Barely have anything for working on radios...

Oh, and wandering off topic is perfectly fine if the OP approves, which is you. :wink:

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Oct Thu 08, 2015 2:25 am 

I had a similar find some years ago. Only mine had been completely gutted, not surprising as it weighs 360 pounds full of goodies. Mine came with a note that it was originally bought by Lee DeForest in LA. I checked and indeed Lee DeForest lived in LA at the time. I was able to scrounge all the components except that related to the remote control. The record changer was a blessed find. Anyway, good luck as you have a lot of work ahead of you. Best,
Dave

PostPosted: Oct Thu 08, 2015 3:23 am 
Site Admin

Radios only in this thread please. If you want to discuss cars start a new topic in the Clubhouse section.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 08, 2015 6:26 am 

Dave I would love to see any pictures, info, documentation you have on yours and your restoration.

Todd

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 64 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next