Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 24, 2021 6:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Look what I found in the garbage, RCA Victor RAE 79
PostPosted: Oct Thu 08, 2015 11:59 am 

My apologies for encouraging VW discussion here... I shouldn't have done that.. :oops:

As far as the radio, the recording function requires a microphone and a weight that rests on the phonograph pickup.

RCA provided pre-grooved blanks for recording, You can see the microphone used in this photo of an RAE-59 from the Western Historic Radio Museum.

http://www.radioblvd.com/ConsolePhoto.htm

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Oct Thu 08, 2015 6:04 pm 

I saw the outlet on mine for the microphone but no sign of the microphone or the weighted recording head. I think it must have been gone long ago since there was so many little tidbits stuck in the cabinet.

The other thing missing is one of the speakers. I was told by ChuckA that these actually are fairly common. He mentioned the amp-tuner chassis was basically the same parts from a Radiola 80 (if I recall correctly). Are those easy to find for spare parts? If anyone perhaps might have some of the few parts this is missing please PM me.

I did start looking at schematics and pictures of the Radiola 80 and turntable. It does not look like much to recap-rebuild the amps and receiver. Seems the issues would be in the transfer switching and possible bad transformers. I usually am doing Stereo AM-FM tube tuner-amp combos which can be quite a rats nest of components in comparison, this really doesn't look all that hard. I would sure like to see this thing working myself. I Might try cleaning up the thick dust and dirt this weekend in the back and organizing the mess of stuff and try and trace the wiring out and make sure everything need to work is there. Pop out the amp and receiver and peek underneath.

T

PostPosted: Oct Thu 08, 2015 6:49 pm 

Yeah, I suppose with two amp/power supply chassis there would be two speakers.

The RCA Radiola 80s do show up quite often. They also have General Electric and Westinghouse counterparts.
Not sure if there are any Victor or Graybar branded Radiola 80s.

Like the Victor R-32, they often go unloved. The Radiola 80 is a bit of an enigma.
It is a nicely designed Screen Grid Superhet, but doesn't have AVC!

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Oct Fri 09, 2015 4:30 pm 

I believe the RAE 79 had two speakers, one driven by each amplifier. There are several RCA radios that had the same tuner section and power supply/amp/speaker combination. In addition, the GE H-32 had the same tuner section and power supply/amp/speaker and also a Westinghouse radio model WR-7. As to the microphone, that may not be as easy to find. All of the RCA RAE sets had the microphone except the RAE 26. Note: It is possible your set drove remote speakers. Might be a good idea to check with the previous owners and see if they know what happened to them, and what the provenance of your set is. Russie Ofria

Last edited by startgroove on Oct Sun 11, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 09, 2015 9:11 pm 

My RAE-79 has two pedestal speakers driven by two separate amps. The tuner chassis is standard RCA issue with no remote capability. I believe I rebuilt the tone arm. The changer works. Otherwise, it looks just like yours. Good luck.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 10, 2015 12:22 am 

Interesting dg, would love to see any pics of yours or any others out there.

Was curious if one could rebuild the amps-receiver, changer and the unit would function manually without all of the remote control unit and wiring all rebuilt. I am guessing it is probably an integrated unit.

Also, does anyone have the schematics for the RAE 79? I have the service data for turntable but could not find the amps and receiver schematics. I do have the RCA Red Book for that era...would there be info in there?

T

PostPosted: Oct Sat 10, 2015 1:09 am 

It will work without the remote but it's more fun to have it. I have the schematics for this. If you want to restore it, let me know and I'll forward them.

Donald

PostPosted: Oct Sat 10, 2015 2:13 am 

The problem is finding the remote control unit and the ribbon cable. If I had that, I would restore the remote capability. Thanks,
Dave

PostPosted: Oct Sat 10, 2015 6:45 pm 

Interesting dg, would love to see any pics of yours or any others out there. T

T, If you wish to see other RAE's and more early radio/automatic phonographs go to the "Phonographs" section and find "Let's See Your Earliest Radio Phonograph".

Cheers, Russie Ofria

PostPosted: Oct Sun 11, 2015 4:50 am 

Quote:
... in 1931. These units sold for over $900 dollars new... Jon

From an inflation calculator: $900.00 in 1931 would be worth $13731.39 in 2013.
Incredibly high, bit it's still the cash cost if not the radio market!
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Oct Sun 11, 2015 6:18 am 

The RAE 79 was listed as $995 new in the December 1931 issue of Country Life Magazine found over at the Radiomuseum web site
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_rae79.html.
The US Inflation Calculator says that would be $15,600.29 today!

PostPosted: Oct Sun 11, 2015 2:02 pm 

bastardbus wrote:
The RAE 79 was listed as $995 new in the December 1931 issue of Country Life Magazine found over at the Radiomuseum web site
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_rae79.html.
The US Inflation Calculator says that would be $15,600.29 today!

The original RCA ads for this piece made a big statement that only 1000 of these would ever be produced. Only 516 units were produced, and at $995.00 not many were sold.

It was introduced on 10/18/31 at that price, on 3/1/32 they were being closed out for $250.00 (distributor cost), by 6/21/32 they were down to $210.00, and on 8/31/32 final sale at $142.50. If ever there was a bad time to introduce a high priced luxury item, RCA couldn't have picked a better time, with the country only 2 years into the "Great Depression"

http://www.myvintagetv.com

PostPosted: Oct Sun 11, 2015 5:52 pm 

Actually the ad I quoted above on radiomuseum.org is an RCA ad and it states only 500 would be produced, it is not easy to see and I think you might have to be a member to view it? I tried to download and post it here but they do not allow you to download or save pictures off the site.

T

PostPosted: Oct Sun 11, 2015 6:03 pm 

bastardbus wrote:
Actually the ad I quoted above on radiomuseum.org is an RCA ad and it states only 500 would be produced, it is not easy to see and I think you might have to be a member to view it? I tried to download and post it here but they do not allow you to download or save pictures off the site.

T

Interesting, I forgot that the pictures on radiomuseum are of my set. I don't remember what magazine that ad information came from and of course I can't find it now, might have been Fortune Magazine. The dates and prices came from an internal RCA document.

http://www.myvintagetv.com

PostPosted: Oct Mon 12, 2015 1:27 am 

Chuck, you just quoted my post which contained the month, year and magazine in your past reply! LOL.....

December, 1931 Country Life Magazine.

Here is the link to the RAE info on radiomuseum's site.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_rae79.html

You do NOT have to be a member to see the advert but you will not be able to expand the size of it as members do. Don't fret as the top of the ad reads in HUGE type "ONLY 500 HOMES may have this superlative instrument".

The ad is in the pictures section BUT it is on page two so you might have missed it. You need to scroll down to the bottom of the pictures and click NEXT PICTURES. It is the only advert you will find. Click on it and a medium size ad will show. The large one for members has the date and info I mentioned above. The caption under the RAE 79 states "photographed in the newly built Waldorf Astoria...pretty cool. Wish I could post it here but that web site won't let you copy the picture.

T

PostPosted: Oct Tue 13, 2015 5:22 am 

It looks as if the remote control that DGonshor needs for his RAE79 has just materialised on the ARF:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=285891

Perhaps a deal can be made.

I once did some work on an RAE79. It is a magnificent set, but the pot metal used for some parts can be problematic. I spent an afternoon freeing up the tuning unit, and the buttons on the control on the left-hand side of the panel were frozen in the pot metal housing. They had to be carefully worked out, and the holes reamed again to the correct size.

On the other hand, there is plenty of space underneath the chasses to mount new film type condensers.

Overall, restoring an RAE79 to full operation will be a considerable undertaking. I recommend tagging all of the wires before disconnecting them from their terminals.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 14, 2015 3:41 am 

Thanks for all the info folks, it seems the 79 will be going to a new home soon. Maybe the new owner will post and update the thread here as it's story continues.

Thanks
T

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 10:30 am 

If anyone who is lucky enough to have an RAE-79 would care to sell it, I would love to buy it!

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 6:08 pm 

WOW! What a find!! This would be for me what psychologists call an "approach-approach conflict" if I found this. First, no way I could not take this unit, BUT, no way I could leave it either. "What is the wife gonna say when I pull up with that in the back of my truck?" No way to sneak that in after dark, alone. Where am I gonna put this? Nice project for the cold winter night.

All in all, congrats on such a find! In 1931 dollars, that is indeed a rich mans toy.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 9:16 pm 

Lucy and Gar Pierce are buried in Willoughby Village Cemetery in Willoughby, OH.

Attachment:
pierce.JPG
pierce.JPG [ 195.57 KiB | Viewed 179 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 64 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next