Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 26, 2021 12:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Radio Restoration Diary 2 ( post photobucket)
PostPosted: Aug Tue 08, 2017 7:59 pm 

Those painted radios sure POP!

Good luck with the sale!

No Console Left Behind!
Come join us @ http://vintagehifi.net/

PostPosted: Aug Tue 08, 2017 9:10 pm 

Some folks came by while I was pricing them and they all seemed to really like them too so hopefully that bodes well for us.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 08, 2017 9:14 pm 

I really like the variety and colors of your restorations. They're sure to sell. You're going to get a lot of attention at your sale. Best of luck with your sale.

Tom

PostPosted: Aug Tue 08, 2017 11:07 pm 

Thanks guys. We will be at an event called the Niles Antiques fair Aug 23rd. I'm sure we can't sell all of these and we will probably go to the treasure island antique show after that.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 09, 2017 9:17 pm 

Not anything horribly exciting but since I try and post all sets restored here's the latest from last night. Its what I'm sure is a post war Knight AA5. The giveaway is the ceramic, multi-lead wafer inside. I never see those until the late 40's and into the 50's. It was missing the knobs, was filthy and the cord was cut off. Due to the wafer which houses many of the small value caps there were only 5 or so paper caps. It was a 45 min job including cleaning and polishing the case. I found a set of gold knobs, which matched the gold dial.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 15, 2017 4:23 pm 

Here are a few more sets that I've been working on.

1: A large-ish Aircastle tombstone. This one is sort of special as its a set that has been in the same family since new. The current owner inherited it from his Grandfather who inherited it from his Father. The Grandfather says he hadn't heard it play since he was a kid. Someone did a cosmetic restoration on it as seen by the finish. There was a piece of tape that said: " Do Not Plug In!" Upon initial investigation a dogbone resistor was split in half and the rectifier tube had a broken keyway and had been inserted incorrectly. All caps were replaced, a new belt was installed and I dug out an eye tube I'd pulled from a pile of tubes at one of our flea markets. It works well now and I'll hand it back to the owner Saturday.

2:A medium sized, middle of the road model Grundig.
ImageThis was in such nasty looking shape when it was donated I set it aside as I really didn't feel like dealing with it. Someone had hacked in some kind of guitar input and the case has a few cigarette burns. The volume, tone controls and tuning condenser were frozen solid. After removing the chassis I doused all of the controls in WD-40, which yeah, I know you're not supposed to do but whatever. Eventually all of those worked freely after much heating and oiling with a can of 3-in-1 oil and a soldering iron. All of the piano keys were liberally doused in contact cleaner.

After initially replacing the initial electrolytics and most of the paper caps it worked quite well. These days whenever I get one of these nice sounding German sets I'll install a bluetooth, which means the power source for that needs to turn on and off with the radio. As I was finalizing that I tested the set. Somehow I had forgotten to install the output tube and its wire spring keeper accidentally touched one of the fuse holder terminals. Whatever that went to caused an arc and I was greeted by the sound of what sounded like firecrackers as numerous paper caps underneath exploded. I could literally see a bit of capacitor "confetti" shooting out of the sides. I thought I had ruined the set. But luckily all that happened was the caps blew up. Those were replaced.

The only caps left were placed on a damned near impossible to access PCB board, permanently lodged underneath. I figured... well, the caps are probab-b-b-bly ok so whatever. The set was powered up and run for an hour. Eventually the sound became distorted. At first I thought maybe the rectifier was going south but nope- the full DC power was there. That could mean only one thing... those caps on the board! It took an hour to replace the remaining 5 caps on that board using a set of surgical tools. Image

After testing the set works great. Bluetooth was installed. The set is missing its back and since the fuse holder is live 100% of the time I figured a cover should be placed over that area. I might see about making a better back but I at least want it to be difficult for someone to touch that area.

After some elbow grease and cleaning the case came out ok too. Nothing much to be done about the burns though...

PostPosted: Aug Thu 17, 2017 4:20 pm 

Here's another set and this one is fairly unusual. Its a very small Emerson radio that were sold as a "convertible". What that means is if you look at the dial and also the raised ribbed corners the set is meant to either stand up vertically as a mini-tombstone or lay down on one side to become more of a conventional table top set. The raised ribs prevents the flat surfaces from getting scuffed. Its a very basic design as far as the innards go but it works surprisingly well with good sensitivity after a recap.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 18, 2017 8:31 pm 

Another day another radio.... except whoops! This one ain't a radio at all but rather a small desktop PA system. Its got a great style though and seeing as how it is at the very least a small amp I figured might as well overhaul and add an audio input by means of 2 .01 Ceramic caps. I have also created a rig where I will intentionally short the Pos. end of the input to ground and have the plug plugged into a GFCI outlet. If the set doesn't trip the GFCI, plugged in both ways then that means the input is truly isolated from generating current strong enough to trip it, meaning impedance is well within current safety standards.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 22, 2017 4:29 pm 

5 days before our next antique show...

Here are a few more sets to add to the mass of sets that we'll be unleashing Sunday.

1: Plain-jane Montgomery Ward. As usual I forgot to take a before pic. Before the whole set was painted in some slick blue paint and the person doing the job managed to get it all over the plastic dial lens, the knobs and so on and furthermore it looked awful. It took several applications of paint stripper to remove it all and then it was given the ever-so-popular fire engine red paint job. The dial string was broken and so that took some effort to get it right. The recap was staightforward. One of the fins on the tuning condenser was bent and rubbing so that had to get straightened.

2: Yes, we've seen this RCA model a zillion times but this one has an unusually pristine cabinet. Dial string was broken and the 35Z5 tube had an open filament, 12SQ7 and 12SA7 was very weak and replaced. The set had a LOT of paper caps but in the end its a very sensitive set with a decent tone too. A quick wax job was all it took to make the case look nice and shiny.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 23, 2017 4:16 pm 

Last night's radio was this "ATC" school radio. I wasn't able to find much about the manufacture other than its from California. Its a really odd set, one of only a random few I've seen that uses a compactron for the output section. The rectifier is a 6X4. But it works well. Built like a tank, all it needed was a fresh set of electrolytics. The rest of the caps were all ceramic disc thus no need to bother. Image

PostPosted: Aug Wed 23, 2017 11:27 pm 

That is interesting how the AM Broadcast band is the primary scale.

Does it use a 6T9 Compactron?

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Aug Thu 24, 2017 2:59 am 

Yeah. It's a 6T9. I've seldom seen these used in an amp before. But those can replace several tubes per compactron so it was probably cheaper for the msnufavtute

PostPosted: Aug Thu 24, 2017 10:40 pm 

The latest project is this small, stereo tube amp. At the museum we had a pile of really crappy, beat to pieces record players, all Magnavox. They were in the junk pile for disposal but when I looked closer I realized they all have small stereo tube amps inside. So I nabbed em' and took out the innards.

The chassis was recapped, which was easy as there were only a handful in there. A switch and a pilot light was added by drilling some holes in the front and rear. Then it was all mounted to a board and given screw terminals for the speakers. Oh- and I gave it an aquamarine paint job too.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 25, 2017 6:38 pm 

Here is the last radio before the show Sunday. I saved the nicest one for last!

Its a BIG Truetone, made by Detrola. It has a great big speaker, huge dial and now I've added a bluetooth set. Works and sounds really nice actually.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 25, 2017 6:46 pm 

Boy, that Truetone is a nice looking radio. How much do you think it will sell for?

Good luck with your sale on Saturday.

Tom

PostPosted: Aug Fri 25, 2017 10:16 pm 

Its hard to say really. The antique show is sort of high-end. We were aiming for $250 but we'll see. Its all about how it looks all lit up. Oh well, we have like 125 other radios so no pressure to sell em' all...

PostPosted: Aug Sat 26, 2017 7:22 pm 

Best wishes at your sale and you should be proud of yourself. Awesome Job!!!

Linda

PostPosted: Aug Mon 28, 2017 9:41 pm 

How did your sale in Niles go, Bob? I remembered an unsold Jackson Bell from the auction that I was curious to see if it was still being offered. I tried going there but left late and upon hitting gridlock traffic and full-up parking out near the old nursery, turned around and went home.

Chris

PostPosted: Aug Tue 29, 2017 4:23 pm 

We did well. Sold about half of what we brought and met lots of new people and so that means... back to more restoration tasks.
We didn't bring any Jackson Bell sets so I imagine it must still be at the museum. Do you recall which one it was? I have to empty the garbage today so if you can let me know I can see if its still there.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 29, 2017 4:45 pm 

Wow Bob! you have been one busy, busy restorer. Love the amount, variety, and quality of your work. Congratulations on the successful sale.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 586 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next