Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 19, 2019 9:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Radio Restoration Diary 2 ( post photobucket)
PostPosted: Apr Tue 02, 2019 4:48 pm 

Yup. In fact, I get a feeling that why so many Zeniths of this era are still around is because they just kept right on working for years.

Anyway, moving on, Here's last night's project:

Its a late 30's Crosley. Kind of small with 6 tubes. Someone had worked on it before and the cabinet was refinished at some point in the past. It looks decent but the original finish would've actually been glossy, not satin, which for some reason a lot of people do when refinishing these.

Underneath the work was not very good at all with 70's era electrolytics dangling from long wires. Not sure why so many people insist on having such crazy long leads when the chassis itself is ground, meaning one could easily connect to the positive and the chassis very close by. So I had to hack all of that out along with other numerous weird dangly leads and more capacitors.

The set made a pretty awful squealing sound at first. The contacts for some of the tube sockets were really dirty and thus cleaned. Two tubes barely registered on my tester and were replaced. After that the set worked fine.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 03, 2019 4:55 pm 

Here's last night's project:
1939 Zenith 6D315

Before pic:

Despite the 6-tube suggesting model, technically its actually just a 5 tube set with one ballast tube. Its a small set and the chassis fills the case entirely. Its clear it gets like an oven in there, due to the heat from the ballast tube.

This was probably a kitchen radio: the innards were coated with greasy dust bunnies. Ewwww! So the tubes were removed and I used degreaser to remove the filth from the chassis and tubes,

Thank god its not one of the petrified rubber wiring sets at least. Not anything amazingly surprising underneath. The power cord was rotten and in order to run a new one one side snakes up under and then through and up to the control switch on top of the chassis.

So it was put back together. The original paint was also cleaned and polished with car wax.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 04, 2019 12:05 am 

Bob,
That Zenith looks pretty nice. Only guessing here, but maybe all that kitchen grease acted like cosmoline and protected everything. :-)

PostPosted: Apr Thu 04, 2019 6:17 pm 

Yeah. Kitchen grease and nicotine are fabulous preservatives... Too bad they don't work as well on human bodies...

Anyhow, Heeeeerrre's last night's little project:

A fire engine red GE clock radio.

GE probably made and sold a ton of these because I've done at least 5-6 of them. They are if anything very basic sets. The chassis design is another example of how GE was starting to cut corners, edging closer to going full-on PCB board. The sockets are annoying because they fill with dust bunnies leading to poor contacts for the tube pins.

These days I'll spend about half of the restoration polishing plastic cases. It really does make a big difference and makes the sets a lot more attractive. I use Novus No.2 for all of it.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 04, 2019 6:36 pm 

Hi Bob,
I've got a GE clock radio that looks close to what you're showing here. The clock is a bit different. From the two radios that I've seen, I've found that the phono/radio switch must have failed and was replaced with an off/on volume switch (no phono switch). Is that the case with your red radio?
Thanks, Tom

PostPosted: Apr Thu 04, 2019 7:03 pm 

Tom,
So this set has a bizarre volume control: As in there isn't a phono switch but rather the pot is internally split in two: Turn the knob all the way to right or left with a switch for both usually at top dead center. So you use the one volume control to turn either the radio or the input up and down. Its really wonky and I was fooled by this at first. So see if that's the case for yours.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 04, 2019 7:53 pm 

Bob,
Thanks for that information! I simply assumed that the radio/phono switch had been changed. One of my radios is recapped but has SMD and is not working yet as there's lots of static/crackling noises. I'll have to find and dig out the other one.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 04, 2019 8:38 pm 

a LOT of this era GE has SMD. Especially if its the later version with the plug in versus wired in RF cans. You can either replace the defective cap in the base or replace the whole can.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 05, 2019 2:43 pm 

Hi Bob,
I plan to replace the silver mica capacitors. I found a schematic that actually listed the values of the capacitors. T2 was 110 pf and T3 was 75 pf.
For what that's worth, Tom

PostPosted: Apr Wed 10, 2019 4:35 pm 

Here's a few more to throw on the pile of restored sets.

1: This interesting looking Stromberg Carlson:

Before pic:

The set was all-original inside and out. The set had a rotten cord, snapped dial cord ( that turned out to be a nightmare to fix ) and bad caps.

Nothing that unusual underneath. Not a difficult set to overhaul. After recapping it worked.

But... man oh man... restringing the dial took a lot longer than the recap job. I am VERY glad there was a a dial string diagram that even listed the right length. But even so, it was a cumbersome and aggravating task.

The string goes up and over the drum of the tuner, wraps around a pulley, then goes around another pulley, up and across to the left, then down and then back up and back down and around the tuning drum again. Sheesh.

The case was cleaned and then waxed. It turned out decently.

2: This kind of ugly Firestone. I forgot to take pics of the restoration...

3: Lastly, this smallish Westinghouse console. Usually I don't bother with consoles like this but as the styling is pretty nice I chose to do so anyway. Recapped, blown speaker replaced, cleaned and waxed the cabinet, added bluetooth. Nifty little thing.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 11, 2019 6:28 am 

Bob,

I don't think that Firestone is so ugly. I think it will sell without a problem. How well does it play and sound?

Tom

PostPosted: Apr Thu 11, 2019 10:14 pm 

It sounds fine actually. Not exactly the fanciest thing from an electronics standpoint, but decent. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder but to me its a tad over-the-top on this one. Interestingly enough we have TWO of these now. One donated right after another. I'll wait to restore that one as I don't feel like doing yet another one so soon!

PostPosted: Apr Wed 17, 2019 4:48 pm 

Here's the latest restoration, started on Sunday.
Its an interesting looking Gilfillan Bros. Set. When donated the finish was in pretty bad shape. But what was unusual about it was that the original finish was natural and flat. That is not super common but it looks good on this one. So I stripped it down and used a special finish from Germany called " Osmo". It is an oil based varnish that dries completely flat, mimicking the original finish.

The set is very well made. Obviously a few notches above the typical RCA, Philco and GE of the day. Very sensitive with excellent reception.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 17, 2019 5:26 pm 

Bob, you may have shared this information already, but I have to ask. Where did you find the yellow caps with such long and thick leads? Most I've bought from many sources over the last decade or so have pathetically short and thin leads on them. What type are these, and where did you order them from?

Attachment:
df.jpg
df.jpg [ 68.32 KiB | Viewed 823 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Wed 17, 2019 5:39 pm 

Our buddy Mr Sal, from Sal's Capacitors!

PostPosted: Apr Wed 17, 2019 9:05 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
Our buddy Mr Sal, from Sal's Capacitors!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Apr Mon 22, 2019 4:22 pm 

Here's the latest in radio restorations. This time I have something kind of good for you guys. A Zenith 7-S232 " Walton".

I really regret to say I did not take before pics. This was donated to our museum around 3 years ago. Its been on display since then but 3 weeks ago someone donated their estate to us and we wound up getting a 12 tube version. And so we don't need two and the lesser one will be put in our auction in July. The set has its original finish and prior to me working on it, it was dull and very worn looking. Over the past few years I've come up with a unorthodox method for bringing back even some of the most worn, seemingly trashed finishes. Here's what is done:

1: Go over all of it with Old English. Let that set for an hour or so. Wipe off the excess.
2: Apply several applications of liquid bees wax. Let that set for an hour also. Wipe off the excess.
3: Then, slowly and patiently continue rubbing on and waxing off Mequire's cleaner car wax. Its a natural caranuba based wax. What it does is it slowly and very gently removes the years of grime and filth while at the same time gradually brings back the original gloss and luster. Car wax is very mildly abrasive and so its removing all of the microscopic scratches that leads to a dull looking finish. This process was repeated over and over again throughout the past weekend. In the end you get a permanently restored finish that retains all of the patina. I personally feel that unless a set's finish is just hopelessly ruined that an original, albeit not perfect finish is better than a new finish which deletes all of the patina. Especially on a set like this one.

The same was done with the chassis, which initially was dirty and stained with grime.

The same goes for the shutter dial face plate. I didn't realize how thin and fragile it was so I did so very carefully.

A mild dish soap was used to clean the interior to bring back the original blue paint.
The speaker was slightly damaged. It would be very easy to poke a hole in it when putting the chassis back in, which clearly someone had done. Flexible gasket maker was used to fill the hole.

The tubes had been replaced with a lot of smaller metal ones. So I went to the museum and found either known good or NOS glass versions that are more correct.

The other thing is that someone had polished the brass escutcheon. I may see if there is a way to chemically or electrically restore the bronze effect. I know people that buy these things are VERY picky and will not like the brassy appearance.

As seen the top has the worst affected areas. Some discoloration and unevenness.

The bad news is that someone else had restored the electronics. Not a bad job but the set is basically "Deaf", as in it isn't very sensitive. We have 3 months until the auction and so regardless, either I or someone at the museum will fix the electrical issues. We may also install a bluetooth device. I did NOT want to drill any holes in the chassis for a switch. There are a number of existing holes that will work. That way if someone buys it and does not want that feature we can remove it in a few minutes, no alterations to the set and no new holes.

2: Oh... and a predicta. Me and another member recapped it Saturday. It actually works great and will be a display item in the Television history section downstairs.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 23, 2019 2:15 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:

I really regret to say I did not take before pics. This was donated to our museum around 3 years ago. Its been on display since then but 3 weeks ago someone donated their estate to us and we wound up getting a 12 tube version. And so we don't need two and the lesser one will be put in our auction in July.

If these are just sitting on a shelf in the museum selling the 12 tube version would make more money for the museum, no?

PostPosted: Apr Tue 23, 2019 2:27 pm 

We basically "upgraded" to the 12 tube Walton. For us it's nice to display the best examples of whatever models if and when we can. The 12 tube version we got is also in nicer shape.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 23, 2019 7:54 pm 

Hi Bob,
I don't know a lot about these 7 tube Walton radios. It does look nice, though. Can you give me an approximation of what this radio might sell for in the upcoming auction?
Thanks a lot, Tom

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 570 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 29  Next