Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 19, 2019 9:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Radio Restoration Diary 2 ( post photobucket)
PostPosted: Oct Tue 08, 2019 9:02 pm 

I use Novus No.2 and then follow up with Collinite insulator wax. The buffer is a Porter cable orbital buffer with a 6" pad.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 08, 2019 9:21 pm 

^^^ Thanks, Bob, for the info. Much appreciated!

Craig R.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 11, 2019 5:29 pm 

Thanks, more entertaining then any History channel TV show. :lol:

PostPosted: Oct Fri 11, 2019 6:23 pm 

Thanks!

Anyway, just one radio for today and boy is it bizarre.

Its a kind of large Sylvania clock radio. Its a very typical PCB board AA5 set but stuck in a weird console style cabinet mostly filled with air. The reason I assume is because this, like a few other sets like it have an electro luminescent backlit dial and so that is featured very prominently and I assume why the design makes such a big deal about it. Its the future!

Most of these don't work anymore. The panels are really fragile and prone to cracks. A crack will render them useless. Somehow this one survived.
The clock is nothing amazing. Just another run of the mill Telechron unit.

The case was originally a bland cream color so it was taken apart and painted. None of that was easy because the face plate, speaker and parts of the clock were held in with friction washers which had also been glued. Took some effort to remove everything without breaking the mounting posts.

And here's what the clock looks like at night.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 11, 2019 6:32 pm 

That is pretty cool!

My mother had a electroluminescent night light in the hallway of the house I grew up in.
it had a gentle blue-green glow. I don't remember whatever happened to it.

It was bigger than most night lights you plugged in the wall

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Oct Fri 11, 2019 6:48 pm 

They still make them and I've seen them as night lights as well. I believe they tend to fade over time but luckily this one is still ok

PostPosted: Oct Fri 11, 2019 8:54 pm 

That's an interesting clock radio, Bob. It's all there and it's working. Maybe that example should stay with the museum.

Tom

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 4:23 pm 

Our last antique show went well, we sold around 50% of what we took and thus the need to "replenish" the supply for the December show. As such some 30+ radios need to be done prior to then, meaning a little over a month to do so. Luckily more recent donations came in and we should be able to fulfill that goal. Here's a few recent jobs.

1: This large-ish and surprisingly heavy Magnavox table set.
I've never seen one of these before, which says a lot since I work on so many sets.

It has two oval automotive style speakers inside- one on the side, the other up front. Its a fairly robust set with power transformer, 9 tubes, AM/FM and auxiliary and phono input
It still worked fine save for a on/off switch that was non-op. The mechanism was gummed up and using carb cleaner, heat and WD-40 loosened it up. But it was recapped anyway.

2: A bizarre Granco " Stereo Companion". I believe this probably came with two pieces: one with a FM tuner, the other with an amp meaning you could tie them together for a pair of speakers. Looks like the FM tuner is gone. So its just an amp, which is fine. I simply wired in aux input through one of our ISO transformers.

3: A nearly pristine Philco from 1952. Clearly nobody ever cleaned the bakelite because its mirror-perfect. This too, like the Magnavox had a gummed-up switch. Both came from the same donation so I wonder if a sort of cleaner was used on the controls that later gummed up. The same treatment was used as on the Maggie.

4: Nice Silvertone in a blonde cabinet.
No clue who made this for Sears but the construction is very un-American in terms of how the chassis underneath is laid out. There is a thick length of bus wire that runs down the middle. This is the ground that all of the grounds in the set are daisey chained to. This is more like you'd see on a Phillips. Its certainly an American manufactured set but very different from what I tend to see for Sears.

5: This one is for me: Philco clock radio lamp. Yes, wrong shade. I need to find a period appropiate shade. The radio worked already and since I really don't care that it does I left it alone but re-wired the lamp.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 5:03 pm 

With that copper colored chassis I would think it was Westinghouse made.

They did make radios for private lable brands after WWII.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 5:38 pm 

Who knows? A number of manufactures made sets with a copper chassis. I also think this might be one of those weird sets where it transitioned from Octal to miniature tubes seeing as how there are large holes for the tubes with adapters for the miniature tubes. I will say that it was a lot easier to work on with that easy to get at ground.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 6:37 pm 

Bob,
I think you should save that 1952 Philco with the perfect bakelite cabinet for your museum.

Tom

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 6:57 pm 

Seems weird that the Granco half you have has IF coils in it and yet it's only a amplifier. Maybe it's the FM stereo decoder?

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 7:27 pm 

I saw those too. Yet no RF comes out of the set at all. So you're probably correct, it probably has some sort of decoder function. And yeah, I will show the Philco to the board members and see if it is worthy to preserve for display.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 7:56 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
The latest project was this 1958 RCA SHC-6 stereo system. I've worked on a few of these and for having just one 6V6 per channel they sound really nice.

The chassis is sort of "Rats nesty" but not horrible. I did have an issue where FM would only work for a few minutes then fade away. There was a ceramic cap in the FM circuit that had a crack in it and once that was replaced the issue was solved.

At some point someone stuck in a gigantic 5R4 rectifier in it.

Beyond the recap the record player had two rotten idler wheels which I replaced with some NOS ones I had found a few months back. The cartridge is really weird and luckily its in good shape. I also installed a bluetooth receiver which the user can use via the tape selection.

Hey Bob, I know this is an old thread, but if you ever come by an RCA SHC-6 in Mahogany, please let me know. I'd be interested in purchasing because I'm just over in SF, not far from you. Thanks!

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 8:14 pm 

Will do. They don't show uo often: I've only ever restored 2 of them total

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 10:06 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
Will do. They don't show uo often: I've only ever restored 2 of them total

Much appreciated. Always liked these New Orthophonics, but seems most were sold close to the assembly plant in Camden, NJ and not a lot made it all the way to the west coast.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 10:29 pm 

If in the end you can't find one of these I would highly recommend the 3-channel Motorola consoles. They sound awesome and seem to turn up semi-frequently. I know because I have three!

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 5:39 pm 

A horde of radios has been donated over the past several weeks, which is good because our 2nd biggest antique show happens in December. Thus the need to have large quantities of sets at the ready. The "problem" is that we sold more than 50% of what we took to a show a month ago, meaning 30+ sets needs to be done before the show. I have done around 10 thus far and with this new supply there's plenty to pick from, so here goes nuttin'

1: A basic Admiral clock radio

Not much of a radio. Its a basic 4 tube model with one RF can. Must have been a bargain basement model.
One of those early PCB board designs. Radio manufactures were probably trying to figure out how to mount these. Some of the designs are sort of bizarre.

Yes, it has a crack. That was repaired. Our buyers usually don't care as long as it looks presentable.

2: Another Admiral, this one a 5 toober.
Very similar to the previous one. Not much happening on these sets: a ceramic wafer with 4-5 components crammed in, an electrolytic can and a paper cap. Whoopee!

3: Sylvania clock radio. This has the standard time clock movement with spinning flywheel. Not nearly as good as the Telechron units as they almost always gum up and require lots of work to get

Sorry... I forgot to take before and innard pics of this one.
It started out a drab white:
Masked off and given a dual-color paint job:

pretty...

4: A Philco Transitone clock radio. I haven't really seen this model before. Its from 1950 towards the later part of the Transitone run.

It looks like Philco saw GE's clock radio with the same HUGE tuning dial and made their own or something.

Had all kinds of issues with the Loctal tubes not making good contact with their sockets requiring lots of cleaning.

5: Packard Bell clock radio. Maybe its because this is a West Coast brand but I see a TON of this design here. I seriously have 5-6 right now. They are all very basic and cheaply made so I wonder if they sold well as a result.

The back was flimsy so it was reinforced with Beer carrier cardboard. BTW, this is a very good beer.

ISO transformer is mounted right next to the Vol pot. Again- this results in the cleanest sound. You don't want wires running around anything in the RF stages

6: Teeny-weanie "Meteor" radio. I haven't heard of the brand. On the back it says its a Sears radio. I wonder if its Canadian because it mentioned a Canadian address along with the US address.
Yet another very basic 4 tube set. It works surprisingly well.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 6:00 pm 

Interesting.
Two 4 tubers.

Yes, Meteor was a seldom used brand name that Sears Roebuck had.

I'm enjoying your thread still, glad you got a good supply of radios to fix up for your December show! :D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 6:04 pm 

Bob,

What is your method of cleaning loctal tube contacts?

Thanks a lot, Tom

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 570 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next