Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 02, 2020 9:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Herbert H. Horn Tiffany Tone Radios
PostPosted: Oct Tue 13, 2015 7:12 am 

I have been collecting Radios for a number of years and have been able to obtain 5 Tiffany Tone Radios built in Los Angeles by Herbert H. Horn. As information regarding the Radios built by Herbert Horn, commonly known at Tiffany Tone Radios, finding information has not been easy. Luckily some information is available on the Internet and also through a series of books written by Floyd A. Paul (Los Angeles Radio Manufacturing: The First Twenty Years), additional information has been found.

But still the information is minimal. As for the years Horn built Radios, I haven't been able to find any after or before the 1930's. Herbert Hoy Horn died in 1959 on a trip to Palm Springs and is buried in Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, California.

I have one of the smaller Tiffany Tone Tombstone Radios (Model 158) with 4 knobs, 5 Dial settings (probably AM and 4 Shortwave Bands) and possibly a Tone control knob on the backside with external antenna terminals, built probably from around 1934, which is in an attractive well designed light colored wood (with a Gothic wood grill design over the speaker cloth ( speaker size is around 7 or 8 inches) in a tall wooden cabinet. It has one small Dial face typical of Radios built prior to 1935. It is one of the Tiffany Tone radios from the Las Vegas sale listed under Cathedral Radios. It has yet to be checked out by a Technician, so will have to wait until that restoration work can be done to see how it sounds. It is listed as Model 158, Serial No. 80204, 70 Watts, with an address listed as Herbert H. Horn Radio MFG Co., 1625 South Hill St., Los Angeles, Calif.

One of the Tiffany Tone Radios I have is missing a speaker, which is mounted on the chassis and protrudes toward the top of the Radio. A technician is attempting to help me get this one restored, with an exact speaker or one that will work with this Chassis. Finding original Tiffany Tone parts is not an easy task.

I also have another Tiffany Tone Radio that is obviously pre-1934, and has what appears to possibly be Alabaster (also listed as Onyx) on the top and sides of the Radio. You can see pictures of this Radio on the topic Tiffany Tone Cabinet which was sold through Radio Attic. It has the standard AM and I think 4 Shortwave Bands. It has been electronically restored by a Technician in Orange, California. The light of the tubes and Dial Light shine through the Alabaster (Onyx ?) stone on the top, and it is quite unusual sight at night. There is also a small photograph of this Radio in Morgan E. McMahon's book called A Flick Of The Switch 1930-1950 on page 185; It only says Interesting Sets, Herbert H. Horn, Tiffany Tone, 5 Tubes, 1936, but the year is probably wrong, as I think the correct year is 1934. I would post a picture, but am having trouble with my computer and camera but a LINK with the Radio shown from all angles can be found on the Tiffany Tone Cabinet forum site.

A technician informed me that few of these Radios were made by the Herbert Horn Company, but its' actual origin is unknown. The technician informed me some of the Hollywood Stars of the time actually had Radios made to meet their specific tastes, which could have been the case as Hollywood is in the Los Angeles area and these Radios were made during the Golden Age of Hollywood and it would have probably appealed to them.

If there is anyone out there who has specific knowledge as to this Radio Company, its' years of production and so forth, I would appreciate any information you could add to this Discussion in regards to this little known Los Angeles Radio Company.

Last edited by ZenithStratosphere on Mar Mon 07, 2016 4:54 am, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Herbert H. Horn Tiffany Tone Radios
PostPosted: Oct Tue 13, 2015 2:27 pm 

I'd sure love to see some photos of these radios. It's always fun to see something you've never seen before.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 13, 2015 4:37 pm 

I am working now to get my computer and camera on the same track, as now I am having trouble getting the photographs downloaded, but as soon as I get this hopefully solved, will post photographs of the Herbert Hoy Horn Tiffany Tone Radios.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 13, 2015 4:50 pm 

The one with some sort of stone on the top rings a bell with me as I recall this one identified as model 156

http://antiquetuberadio.com/images/imag ... adio24.jpg

This info may help you with searches and models etc

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77365

Here is the cathedral (I am guessing this one) you mentioned below

http://antiquetuberadio.com/images/imag ... dio388.jpg

Last edited by jimzinnc on Oct Tue 13, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 13, 2015 7:15 pm 

You're Boston Blackie and definitely a good detective. The photograph you have posted IS the Tiffany Tone Radio I purchased about a year ago. It came from a huge sale in Las Vegas which I am sure you have seen now. I took that Radio to a very experienced technician in Orange County California, and he brought it up to date. It has AM and 3 Shortwave Bands and is listed at the Model 156. The case was in good condition, so just several applications with Howards, and then some hand polishing has brought it out quite well with interesting inlaid wood covering the face about an inch from the sides of the front of the Radio. The grill cloth is original and is good condition. That Radio has no built in Antenna (as the back is open), and when one is used, the AM reception and the Shortwave reception is exceptional.

I have been very pleased with the electronic restoration work and the resulting exceptional performance of the Model 156. The stone (which I assume to be Alabaster (as opposed to Marble) fills in most of the top of the Radio and two strips adorn the sides of this Radio. They pick up a bit of light, but the majority of light is picked up by the large stone on the top, with a matrix of various colors and designs that are natural to the stone. This is really not observable from the photograph on the site. The condition is exceptional for a Radio of this age as is the sound quality. This Radio can be seen on the Tiffany Tone Cabinet Forum site.

When I talked it over with the technician, he felt it was a Radio that had been made by Herbert Horn with specific directives from someone who wanted a Radio designed to have such a stone enhance it with the Dial lights and also the Vacuum tubes themselves. The true beauty of this Radio is not shown in this photograph. As to it's history and this Radio and how many were made remains a mystery. He also knew Floyd Paul who wrote the books on Los Angeles Radio Companies, and in fact supplied Floyd Paul with most of the material he used in the series of books he wrote.

The left dial on Model 156 is for Volume, and the right hand dial has the AM and Shortwave Bands. Truly an amazing Radio and weighs a ton. There is a tone control metal knob (probably missing the Plastic cover which is generally over the metal) on the back side.

I have also recently purchased the Tombstone Style Tiffany Tone Radio Model 158, also from this Sale. I was hesitant about doing so, but recently decided to make the purchase as that Radio is also one that seems to be quite rare, and also one I doubt I will ever see again.

Of course they need work, but it has been the regular work most Radios of this Vintage need as all the parts are in tact and seemingly never disturbed. I am most anxious to see this Cathedral Tiffany Tone Radio, as from the photograph on that site, it looked in good condition. There were two Model Numbers listed for that Radio on that site, so I will just have to wait and see what is actually on the Cabinet or Chassis as I have not seen it listed in any of the reference sources.

This is most interesting as you have posted the photograph of the Radio I have and was referencing in my initial Herbert Horn article. You probably have noticed the Tombstone Tiffany Tone Radio on that site also.

Once, I can get my camera working, I will post more pictures of the Radio at night with the stone lit up, and also the sides and backside pictures. To my knowledge, neither one of these Radios is listed in any of the books or reference sources I have been able to seek out. Thanks for posting the picture, as it may be a while until I can get my computer and camera working in sync. You can also post the Cathedral one also, as I should be receiving it the latter part of the week. From my experience with the Herbert Horn Radios, some seem just better made than others and if what my Technician said, the commissioned Radios probably got the Star treatment as opposed to the average ones sold to the public.

As for this Radio (Model 156) you posted the photograph, it seems to have been quite well made, but another one I have which is posted in the books (Model 518A), just doesn't seem to be quite the Radio as is the Model 156. Could be the antenna situation, or it needs more work, as I did use another technician on that one with less experience. Time will tell, but I am most anxious to get the Cathedral Tiffany Tone Radio, as each one seems to offer a new surprise.

Last edited by ZenithStratosphere on Mar Sun 06, 2016 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 13, 2015 8:16 pm 

You should contact Jim Ryan, President of the Southern California Antique Radio Society. He is doing extensive research on LA radios, and is contact with others who specialize in LA radios, such as Mike from New Zealand. He has access to Floyd Paul's research materials from the library, and there seems to be much which did not make it into the books which SCARS reprinted. I have helped with tracking down the locations of the radio company buildings. Quite a few are still standing.

The SCARS web site is http://www/antiqueradios.org

PostPosted: Oct Thu 15, 2015 3:54 am 

You might want to check out the magazine "Radio Doings" which was published in LA. -

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Rad ... r_Page.htm

Below are a few ads, the earliest is from 1925.

Attachments:
TiffanyTone_RadioDoings_Oct1931.jpg
TiffanyTone_RadioDoings_Oct1931.jpg [ 79.29 KiB | Viewed 7229 times ]
TiffanyTone_RadioDoings_Jan1931.jpg
TiffanyTone_RadioDoings_Jan1931.jpg [ 93.95 KiB | Viewed 7229 times ]
TiffanyTone_RadioDoings_Apr-25-1925.jpg
TiffanyTone_RadioDoings_Apr-25-1925.jpg [ 38.39 KiB | Viewed 7229 times ]

Everyone is ignorant...
only on different subjects.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 27, 2015 1:19 am 

I think Barry Dagestino, VP of SCARS and long-time president, has one of those grandfather clock radios.

I just bought a Tiffany Tone Model 97 from him yesterday:

PostPosted: Dec Tue 29, 2015 7:01 am 

Attachment:
Tiffany .jpg
Tiffany .jpg [ 85.79 KiB | Viewed 6979 times ]

New here and just figuring out how to post with a pic. Enjoyed finding this thread and seeing another one of these with onyx trim.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 08, 2017 6:30 am 

This is a photograph of a Herbert Hoy Horn Tiffany Tone Tombstone Model 158 Radio that I purchased several years back and is a photograph from the ad site where I purchased the radio. I have been having problems with the pixels being too many for the photo site on this site. The radio's cabinet is in excellent condition and only needed the standard electronic upgrades. There is a tone control knob on the backside and 4 knobs on the frontside. One for making the tuning more precise. It has the original Lansing speaker (6 inches) also made in Los Angeles. The measurements are approximately !5 inches tall, 13 inches wide with a depth of 8 inches. The solid wood is a rich maple color. I am not sure what the wood is or if it is a stain. The grill cloth is heavily faded (originally it was much more of a rich gold color as could be seen when the radio was taken apart, but otherwise the fabric in very good condition, clean and with no tears.

Hopefully later I can take some more pictures, but wanted to at least get one photograph on for now. Since having purchased this radio, I have had it completely upgraded. It is a smaller Tombstone than is generally the case, but interesting with its' Gothic Arches and unique cabinet design. The wood around the base of the radio appears to have possibly been hand carved. I assume this radio with an AM Band and 4 Shortwave Bands was built probably around 1934. It is a most attractively designed radio made by the Herbert Hoy Horn Tiffany Tone Radio Company which was located in Los Angeles, California. The small dial is interesting in having each band with a special designated color band. This is a radio rarely seen and is a very good performer with good reception, especially on the Shortwave Band. I had a Fuse added when it was upgraded. A friend of Floyd Paul did the restoration work for me as he is familiar with LA Radios and helped Floyd Paul in gathering some of the information for his booklets on LA Radios prior to his death.

Attachments:
radio387 2.jpg
radio387 2.jpg [ 35.82 KiB | Viewed 5447 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Wed 08, 2017 9:01 am 

Here's a neat one for you. Herbert H. Horn 73-C.

Go pick it up!... https://eastoregon.craigslist.org/atq/d ... 77673.html

The stamped serial number in the chassis kind of confirms 'Gilfillan factory' in my mind.

-Rodney

PostPosted: Nov Wed 08, 2017 3:10 pm 

palegreenthumb wrote:
Here's a neat one for you. Herbert H. Horn 73-C.

Go pick it up!... https://eastoregon.craigslist.org/atq/d ... 77673.html

The stamped serial number in the chassis kind of confirms 'Gilfillan factory' in my mind.

-Rodney

That's one I would pick up in a heartbeat if it was within striking distance. I like it's looks but I have no idea where I would be able to store it since I am presently maxed out but I would find room.
The only Tiffany-Tone radio I have had was a model 611 from 1931. It was a battery set that I converted to AC and sold to a couple that wanted to use it in their home on Cape Cod. This was nearly thirty years ago and I wasn't taking pictures back then. I have not been able to find a picture of one and the schematic isn't in any of the resources I have. I have searched Gernsback, Rider's and Beitman. It has a resemblance to the picture posted by DaveG but as I remember it was all wood, AM only and had two knobs.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 09, 2017 3:38 am 

Here's a model 62 I owned a few years ago. Neat dial.

Attachments:
TT1.jpg
TT1.jpg [ 12.9 KiB | Viewed 5284 times ]
TTback.jpg
TTback.jpg [ 13.4 KiB | Viewed 5284 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Thu 09, 2017 6:42 pm 

Here are some photos of the Herbert H. Horn Tiffany Tone No. 5 Radio I recently purchased. A 1934 Herbert H Horn Model #5 Tiffany Tone AM Radio. The cabinet is made out of solid walnut and the finish is original as are all the Knobs/escutcheons and even the original electric cord is still holding up well. Another Tiffany Tone not often seen, especially in good condition. Even when in top operating condition, Tiffany Tone Radios seem to operate with much warmer cabinet temperatures than is often the case with other radios, even of the same vintage. A technician very familiar with LA radios and their electronic restoration work told me that such was just the case, as they get much warmer than most other radios. I personally don't play any of them for long periods of time.
This tabletop Tiffany Tone radio measures are 12 1/2 long X 6 1/2 wide X 8 1/2 high and weight is 10lbs

Attachments:
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg [ 31.35 KiB | Viewed 5213 times ]
s-l500 2.jpg
s-l500 2.jpg [ 33.93 KiB | Viewed 5212 times ]
s-l500 3.jpg
s-l500 3.jpg [ 37.71 KiB | Viewed 5212 times ]
s-l500 4.jpg
s-l500 4.jpg [ 29.54 KiB | Viewed 5212 times ]

Last edited by ZenithStratosphere on Nov Fri 10, 2017 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 09, 2017 6:58 pm 

Herbert Hoy Horn Tiffany Tone Model 73-C Radio from about 1937. A friend of mine picked this one up this morning from its' isolated location in Echo, Oregon. It is always good to have friends living near-by where some of these radios may be for sale. This one is a beauty, especially the bezel. There were 2 Consoles for sale, a Philco and the Tiffany Tone Radio. My friend picked up only the Tiffany Tone. The Philco is seen in the last photograph. The Tiffany Tone Escutcheon is impressive on this moderately sized radio console. It does have a "Magic Green Eye" in the shape of a human eye and with the Station Call Letters (stationized dial) on the Face Dial also. My friend advised me the grill cloth appeared in fair condition, however was pulled away from the bottom. Hopefully it can be cleaned and re-installed as it is not only an elaborate design, but I feel sure would be impossible to duplicate today.

The cabinet was probably made by the Gilfillan Bros. in Los Angeles. There are some other console cabinets made by Herbert Hoy Horn Tiffany Tone Radio that used this same Face Dial but to my knowledge the Face Dial was only used on Tiffany Tone Console Models and not on any of the table-top Models. There is another Tiffany Tone Console on another Tiffany Tone site with the same dial but a different cabinet model number which to my knowledge has not been identified as of yet :?: I can't find any listings regarding this radio, as it is not listed on the Radiomuseum site. Any additional information anyone may have on this Console, please add it on to this site. Thanks.

Attachments:
00n0n_U4rXXmsnHf_600x450.jpg
00n0n_U4rXXmsnHf_600x450.jpg [ 27.51 KiB | Viewed 5210 times ]
00X0X_fB7sG8DXhEU_600x450.jpg
00X0X_fB7sG8DXhEU_600x450.jpg [ 41.72 KiB | Viewed 5210 times ]
00303_3zpcCxXz7Yt_600x450.jpg
00303_3zpcCxXz7Yt_600x450.jpg [ 35.28 KiB | Viewed 5210 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Fri 10, 2017 5:05 am 

Thanks to palegreenthumb on the "heads Up" regarding the Tiffany Tone Console on that list and located in Eastern Oregon. Luckily, I had a friend nearby who bought it for me today. He did inform me that a great deal of interest had been show regarding the Tiffany Tone Console, but little for the Philco. It looks like a great Philco also, but that particular Tiffany Tone Console is rare and not often seen. I won't be able to have it at my home for a while, but the payment has been made, as I doubt it would have been there much longer, although it had been listed for over a month and then re-listed and had been on for 4 or 5 days.

The seller did inform my friend who picked it up for me that the distance was the primary reason in the radio not having already sold, but it certainly worked out well for me "thanks" :D to your comment with the CL LINK which was re-listed added a few days ago.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 10, 2017 7:06 am 

Great score, and you're welcome for the link!

I certainly envy you that purchase, but I simply can't handle any more! And you're definitely right... It's great to have friends in obscure places. ;-)

PostPosted: Nov Fri 10, 2017 7:42 am 

I am really thankful for your post on that LINK which alerted me, otherwise I would have never seen it or known about the radio. Also, I was lucky in having a good friend nearby Echo, Oregon also living in Eastern Oregon within driving distance that has rental property in Southern California and is back and forth all the time.

I know what you mean about the room, and I am making some major changes right now to adequately house my collection. I had seen a similar Tiffany Tone on one of the other sites and really liked the unique Face Dial. It is one of those special one's that has great appeal and it is an LA radio. And with a "Magic Green Eye" shaped like a human eye with rays extending from the eye itself. The Airline Movie Dial is another radio I would like to have but it is enormous and difficult to find with the 35MM Film in place and in good working order.

We all say there has to be a stopping point, and with Radios like Tiffany Tone, they are rare and even more rarely seen. If the Internet has any positive qualities, one is that it has saved many of these vintage radios from ending up in the dump heap. People because of the Internet can sell them now, and people are also becoming much more aware as to their increasing value, that would probably not be the case otherwise. If I had to make a positive case for having computers and the World Wide Web, that would be my argument :)

PostPosted: Mar Sat 14, 2020 3:52 am 

A nice modest Tiffany Tone radio not often seen, the Tiffany Tone Model 5C. Just a simple AM Dial with a Police Band, but a typical West Coast Stationized Dial with 2 Dial Lamps.
When I found this radio, it was in very rough shape. The top and bottom sections were originally painted white, but was in very poor condition. I sanded it down and refinished it, but did not repaint the original white color on the top and bottom portions of the radio and left it the lighter wood you see in the photographs.

The creme colored white knobs are I am sure original, and originally matched the while color of the top and bottom of the radio which was originally painted what appeared to have been a creme colored white. The radio needs a long wire, but has good reception, volume and tonal quality.

The Face Dial when not lit up is an amber color, but when the Dial Lamps are on it is a very deep orange color. A little shrinkage is noted but not bad. The grill cloth is a replacement.

Attachments:
Photo on 3-13-20 at 7.35 PM.jpeg
Photo on 3-13-20 at 7.35 PM.jpeg [ 407.12 KiB | Viewed 1318 times ]
Photo on 3-13-20 at 7.35 PM #2.jpeg
Photo on 3-13-20 at 7.35 PM #2.jpeg [ 357.45 KiB | Viewed 1318 times ]
Photo on 3-13-20 at 7.45 PM.jpeg
Photo on 3-13-20 at 7.45 PM.jpeg [ 410.99 KiB | Viewed 1318 times ]
Photo on 3-13-20 at 7.45 PM #2.jpeg
Photo on 3-13-20 at 7.45 PM #2.jpeg [ 419.52 KiB | Viewed 1318 times ]
Photo on 3-13-20 at 7.59 PM.jpeg
Photo on 3-13-20 at 7.59 PM.jpeg [ 484.4 KiB | Viewed 1311 times ]
Photo on 3-13-20 at 7.59 PM #2.jpeg
Photo on 3-13-20 at 7.59 PM #2.jpeg [ 422.85 KiB | Viewed 1308 times ]
Photo on 3-13-20 at 8.16 PM.jpeg
Photo on 3-13-20 at 8.16 PM.jpeg [ 544.66 KiB | Viewed 1305 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Sat 14, 2020 5:00 am 

That's an interesting radio. Are the knobs molded from a white material, or are they painted white?

I have two radios by Pacific that use knobs that shape, a Pacific 506 and a Pacific 556, but the knobs on them are brown.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2  Next