Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 11, 2021 4:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Accidental Noise Suppression
PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 8:30 pm 

Happy New Year to all,

I came across something pretty interesting when I placed two Bendix tabletop radios close to each other. Some background, I have a noisy PC power supply and sump pump battery charger in the same room with my radios. Both are switch mode regulators and put out a lot of noise.

Basically, I placed a 526 on my pool table and turned it around to get the best reception. Then, I placed a 636 next to it back to back. The 636 was plugged in but powered off. I noticed that when I tuned the powered off 636 through the band I could get much improved reception on the 526 radio especially if the 636 is tuned to the high end. When I tuned the 636 to the same frequency as the 526 the reception dropped off markedly. Also, If I unplug the powered off 636 the noise suppression disappears.

I have done some reading on ARF about adjacent loop antennas improving reception of DX stations but I dont recall any usage to reduce noise.

Any thoughts on this appreciated. I'm guessing the noise is somehow filtered to ground through the 636 radio circuitry.

Best Regards,
BobH

Post subject: Re: Accidental Noise Suppression
PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 8:46 pm 

Your 636 is also picking up the signal and reinforcing the signal into the 526. No different from those "Select-a-tenna" things. More signal equates to more AGC voltage reducing the gain and hence reducing the noise.

It seems that with the radios back-to-back you are getting cancellation rather than addition - try turning the 636 around so that both radios are facing the same way.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 2:40 pm 

Martin,
Thanks for the reply!

I had forgotten about the AGC line. When I turned the 636 around the reception worsened but then the antennas were not as close together.

Regards,
BobH

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 4:55 pm 

yes, Signal increase but not noise reduction.
John k9uwa