Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 19, 2019 10:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 9S262 1938 photo for advertisement
PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2019 2:18 pm 

Thought I would go ahead and post this photo here since there doesn't seem to be a lot of period photos around. It shows the finish rather well.
The photo is of my mother. The salesman from Zenith delivered the radio to the house and asked if he could come back and take a photo with the girl for use in an advertisement. We do not have the ad, but we do have the photo that was provided to the family. If someone does come across the ad, I would love to see it. It said something like "So easy even a child can use it". Probably hard to find the ad, since it was most likely local.

Post subject: Re: Zenith 9S262 1938 photo for advertisement
PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 12:59 am 

Nice picture, which I suppose brings an end to the debate about escutcheon brightness. :)

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 2:54 am 

Satin finish know doubt, no patina on escutcheon yet but doesn't look polished ether , very dark looking base molding perhaps extra dark walnut even the two vertical speaker bars, don't see much if any open grain in the finish but there could be some here and there. Sure would be cool to see this photo in color, the little girl could have been zeniths Shirley Temple, Shirley Temple was in a lot of Grunow Teledial radio adds.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 3:37 am 

Your photo is really neat... :)

If you ever get a chance, scan it at 300dpi

73 de Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 4:52 am 

I'm genuinely surprised by the appearance of the radio in this photo. Between the brightness of the escutcheon and the prominence of the maple bands in the veneer, it seems that the guys accused of over-restoring their radios are actually on the right track. That said, I much prefer the tarnished bronze look of the escutcheons on my radios and I'm not changing them. ;)

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 2:41 pm 

That is a good idea Egg, I will try to scan the photo someday and see how much clearer I can get it.
....and no Fred, Shirley Temple is not my Mother :lol:
The escutcheon is bright, but satin I agree. The veneer might be shinier than many have expected, especially the lower trim and bars.
I really like that look.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 5:50 pm 

The photo looks like it was taken with fairly direct studio lighting, that didn't have a lot of diffusion. Notice the two shadows of the fan on the wall above/behind the radio. Probably just a couple of flood lamps, something like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... t_Kit.html

The high contrast seen in the veneers is likely due to the lighting. Under normal room lighting, the wood colors on that radio were likely toned down quite a bit. The escutcheon does look bright however, not antiqued.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 6:09 pm 

I would get someone with a flatbed scanner to scan that photo at a high res (maybe 600) and flatten it out. Then you could play with enhancing the photo somewhat.
What year was that taken ?

Example,

Attachments:
xrsz_littlegirlradio.jpg
xrsz_littlegirlradio.jpg [ 129.25 KiB | Viewed 1031 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 7:39 pm 

My mother (in the photo) was born in April of 1934. The photo was taken the day after the new radio was delivered to the home. The salesman delivered it, and asked to come back to their home and get the photo for the advertisement. She thought she was 3 years old in the photo, and would she have been 3 for the first 3.5 months of 1938. In any case, it confirms the radio was brand new.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 8:10 pm 

I have a Zenith 9S365 in the same cabinet. Difference is mine has different estucheon with push button tuning. I believe this model was referred to as Stars and Strips because jof the design on the estucheon. Also the grill cloth is different.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 8:42 pm 

I see you're not all that far from Dayton. If you need someone to scan it, we could meet up sometime and I could scan it for you.

It is a really cool photo! Nice to see something like this show up :D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 10:09 pm 

I have a newspapers.com subscription, and checked thru the ads around 1936-1938. No soap.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 4:10 am 

This was my 9S262 with its original "block" grillecloth, different from the cloth in Jamesan's post.

Attachments:
Zenith9S262.jpg
Zenith9S262.jpg [ 59.89 KiB | Viewed 931 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 5:05 am 

Probably a stupid question, but any chance that the radio is still in the family? THAT would be really cool!

PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 5:15 am 

James,

Your photo is a real gem! Thanks for sharing it.

Very useful to help us understand how much the original finishes have faded out over the years. I often see refinish jobs with bland colors without color contrast. These are not realistic since they are based on today's appearance of yellowed lacquer and faded toners. Even B&W photos demonstrate that the original color schemes were not at all bland.

Tim

PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 7:50 am 

It's certainly interesting, but I'm not sure how much you can trust that photograph to give you a completely accurate representation of what a new 9S262. The appearance of radios in modern pictures can change dramatically depending on the lighting and exposure. For example, the areas in the shadow of the girls arm and dress are very dark (pretty much black), indicating that there isn't a lot of dynamic range in the photograph, which could also explain why the escutcheon looks so bright. The picture makes it look as if the base molding was much darker than the rest of the radio and the horizontal bands on the front sides at escutcheon height are much lighter. Yet the horizontal band on the left side of the radio has dark areas above it and below it that surely are some kind of optical artifact (perhaps how the light reflected off that particular section of veneer?), making me wonder what else is or is not an accurate representation of what was really there.

Bob

PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 9:44 am 

sofaslug wrote:
It's certainly interesting, but I'm not sure how much you can trust that photograph to give you a completely accurate representation of what a new 9S262. The appearance of radios in modern pictures can change dramatically depending on the lighting and exposure. For example, the areas in the shadow of the girls arm and dress are very dark (pretty much black), indicating that there isn't a lot of dynamic range in the photograph, which could also explain why the escutcheon looks so bright. The picture makes it look as if the base molding was much darker than the rest of the radio and the horizontal bands on the front sides at escutcheon height are much lighter. Yet the horizontal band on the left side of the radio has dark areas above it and below it that surely are some kind of optical artifact (perhaps how the light reflected off that particular section of veneer?), making me wonder what else is or is not an accurate representation of what was really there.

Bob

I don't know. Lets not be too skeptical...
We do have to make judgemental decisions with black and white photos, but not very much.
On my photo with the girl....
The escutcheon finish is still debatable but I don't think there is an extreme glare making it brighter.
Shadows under her arms are what I would call "shadows".
The base trim molding is definitely darker than the rest.
The horizontal bands are definitely lighter than the rest.
The dark parts above and below the left side horizontal band that you called optical artifacts are obviously wood grain variations. You can tell that because the veneer above and below the band would match if put back together.
Anything to do with wood grain would vary from unit to unit.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 8:07 pm 

Jamesan wrote:
sofaslug wrote:

Bob

I don't know. Lets not be too skeptical...
We do have to make judgemental decisions with black and white photos, but not very much.
On my photo with the girl....
The escutcheon finish is still debatable but I don't think there is an extreme glare making it brighter.
Shadows under her arms are what I would call "shadows".
The base trim molding is definitely darker than the rest.
The horizontal bands are definitely lighter than the rest.
The dark parts above and below the left side horizontal band that you called optical artifacts are obviously wood grain variations. You can tell that because the veneer above and below the band would match if put back together.
Anything to do with wood grain would vary from unit to unit.

Agreed that the base trim is darker and the horizontal bands are lighter, but by how much? On most 9S262s, including Art Hoch's, the top front corners and the base look similar in their toning, but in the 1938 photograph the base looks almost black. If it really was that dark, you'd have to explain why the bases of modern examples with the original finish are so much lighter, especially if you explain the darkening of the horizontal bands through time as a result of varnish getting darker. I suppose it's possible that the toner used for the base faded for some reason while everything else darkened, but it's more plausible to me that the base is so dark because the 1938 film had trouble reproducing a good gradient of shades. Another factor is that Kodak Verichrome Safety Film, which was probably the most popular snapshot film in the 1930's, was insensitive to red, so who knows what effect that would have on a picture of a radio with any reddish tint in the toner, though I'd guess that those areas would appear darker.) Looking at the escutcheon, I can barely see any evidence of the darkening in the crevices, something that to me at least was put there by the factory and not something that was created through aging. My guess is that light reflecting off the escutcheon washed it out. If you look at the lower left corner of the escutcheon, which is in the shadows, it looks darker and how I might expect an antiqued brass finish to look. OTOH, the top part looks more like non-antiqued brass with a lighter finish. We see the same thing with modern pictures of radios. The finish can look much different depending on the lighting and even what camera is used. It's too bad there aren't more pictures floating around like the one you posted. I think if we could look over a dozen or so of them, we'd have a pretty good idea what these radios looked like when they were new.

Bob

PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 9:59 pm 

My dad is a dealer in old mags and leafs through each page before selling. I’ll send him this link and have him keep an eye out for it.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 3:25 pm 

Jamesan wrote:
My mother (in the photo) was born in April of 1934. The photo was taken the day after the new radio was delivered to the home. The salesman delivered it, and asked to come back to their home and get the photo for the advertisement. She thought she was 3 years old in the photo, and would she have been 3 for the first 3.5 months of 1938. In any case, it confirms the radio was brand new.

As to possible dates when your grandparents bought the radio. Back then Radio Dealers had the New Years Models in the showrooms for sale by Thanksgiving time so people could buy the new models for Christmas. So Late Novemeber of 1937 the radio would have been available and yes they are 1938 models. Yes Black Friday somewhat existed way back then.

As to coloration of the escutcheon notice that your Mothers shadow onto the left side of the escutcheon is still much lighter than the "Patina" ones that have darkened over the years. And it is quite noticeable in the veneer refinishing the light maple wood the old darkened lacquers by age and when the radio is refinished that light maple really pops compared to the aged original finishes.

John k9uwa