Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Thu 09, 2020 1:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco PT-6 radio painted white
PostPosted: Jan Wed 01, 2020 2:18 am 

My Philco PT-6 radio is painted white. All photos I have seen depict a natural wood finish. Before stripping I wish to know if this radio could have been manufactured with a white paint finish and not had the white paint added later by an owner. Thanks!

i wish to know

Post subject: Re: Philco PT-6 radio painted white
PostPosted: Jan Wed 01, 2020 1:45 pm 

Ad doesn't mention anything other then a walnut cabinet.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 01, 2020 3:23 pm 

I looked at this one on ebay- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philco-PT-6/32 ... Swehdc2fMv Not pretty but looks untouched. Notice that it has a label on the bottom that shows the model and tubes. IF it was factory work, the label would be over the paint, obviously. And the back is black on this one. And also if the bottom was painted at the factory, the screw heads would not be painted. You have to maybe do detective work here seeing how the work looks, even though it does not seem to be a factory option. Like if there is overspray on the inside of the case that covers a label or is on any of the parts. I think that makers assigned part numbers that were different for different case colors or finishes, usually, for inventory and record keeping. A white paint job of a wood radio would be sufficiently unique that they would have added another number or letter to the part number. And the service data would reflect that as they often used different knob and trim part numbers on the parts list depending on finish.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 01, 2020 9:59 pm 

Thanks for info. The screws on the bottom have a touch of silver paint on them. Yes, silver, and the bottom is silver painted and wearing off! Also, the white paint is wearing off the front control knobs. Looks to be an amateur paint job. Any suggestions for a non-toxic paint remover I can use? Thanks!

PostPosted: Jan Wed 01, 2020 11:12 pm 

__________________________________________________Image

PostPosted: Jan Wed 01, 2020 11:54 pm 

physicswhiz wrote:
Any suggestions for a non-toxic paint remover I can use?

Try these non toxic examples: https://homebuilding.thefuntimesguide.c ... ove_paint/

PostPosted: Jan Thu 02, 2020 2:51 am 

Whoa. I don't know that a strong chemical stripper would know where the paint ends and the plastic knobs begin, so I would not use that on those. Maybe something mild like isopropyl alcohol would help remove or loosen the paint on them, if the paint will not rub off easily. There are sources of used replacement matching knobs. I could not say how hard or easy they would be to find for that model but I doubt it is a rare radio. Still it would be easier to remove the paint than find knobs. IF the knobs are actually real bakelite, they are fairly resistant and even something like a little acetone or mineral oil might attack the paint without hurting the knobs in a short time frame. If they are some of the early types of plastics, solvents might turn them to butter.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 02, 2020 4:10 am 

wazz wrote:
Whoa. I don't know that a strong chemical stripper would know where the paint ends and the plastic knobs begin, so I would not use that on those. Maybe something mild like isopropyl alcohol would help remove or loosen the paint on them, if the paint will not rub off easily. There are sources of used replacement matching knobs. I could not say how hard or easy they would be to find for that model but I doubt it is a rare radio. Still it would be easier to remove the paint than find knobs. IF the knobs are actually real bakelite, they are fairly resistant and even something like a little acetone or mineral oil might attack the paint without hurting the knobs in a short time frame. If they are some of the early types of plastics, solvents might turn them to butter.

Why in the world would anyone leave a chassis inside a cabinet they were going to strip, and then presumably re-finish? The chassis and any bezel/glass/screws/knobs should all be removed first, so there is only a bare cabinet to be worked on.

But it's good that you brought that up, as he may not have been aware.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 02, 2020 4:34 am 

You could always leave it alone, or repaint it.
There are some nice shades of Ivory available nowadays.

Money was tight after the Second World War and lots of furniture was painted.
In the UK, 14 years of food rationing ended in 1954

Greg.
oh... paint strippers are evil.
You have been warned. lol

PostPosted: Jan Thu 02, 2020 4:49 pm 

egg wrote:
paint strippers are evil.

Kind of a necessary evil though, in this hobby.

Get yourself a respirator, some good solvent-resistant gloves, and work outside.

Gloves I like are the Ansell Barrier 02-100. About $10/pair at Grainger.com.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 02, 2020 5:01 pm 

egg wrote:
You could always leave it alone, or repaint it.
There are some nice shades of Ivory available nowadaysl
Slightly off-topic, but because Greg mentioned “ivory paint:”

I have two Bakelite radios that have original factory ivory paint jobs. One is an Arvin 153T:
Attachment:
0D2F4184-FDE0-450E-A592-71EAC446554A.png
0D2F4184-FDE0-450E-A592-71EAC446554A.png [ 281.01 KiB | Viewed 984 times ]
The other is a Zenith Y723:
Attachment:
EFE54BD0-1E93-4669-8A14-BB04B5B82BD5.png
EFE54BD0-1E93-4669-8A14-BB04B5B82BD5.png [ 217.88 KiB | Viewed 984 times ]

Their original paint jobs are beat up well beyond anything that could be called “patina.” So I’d like to explore repainting them. But unfortunately I am a total novice when it comes to any type of cabinet refinishing.

Suggestions please?

-EB

PostPosted: Jan Thu 02, 2020 7:04 pm 

wazz wrote:

I can tell you first hand that Citristrip will NOT harm Bakelite. I have used it to strip several factory painted Bakelite sets and have been consistently impressed with the end results....A few sets I have actually left bare afterwards because between the paint preserving the new Bakelite sheen and the stripping revealing it I realized that I'd never find a factory bare version with Bakelite as clean and glossy.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 02, 2020 9:05 pm 

Why in the world would anyone leave a chassis inside a cabinet they were going to strip, and then presumably re-finish? The chassis and any bezel/glass/screws/knobs should all be removed first, so there is only a bare cabinet to be worked on.

But it's good that you brought that up, as he may not have been aware.[/quote]
I brought it up because he might consider using stripper to get the paint off the knobs, not because he would not remove the chassis.

Appears the knobs are black or dark brown natural color, which is what you would ideally want to restore to instead of repaint.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 03, 2020 8:25 pm 

I scratched off about half the paint on one knob with my fingernail. It is brown and shiny. I will remove the radio before any restoration is done on the cabinet.Thanks for tips on many of the less toxic paint removers.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 03, 2020 8:52 pm 

Hamster bedding... 8)
https://antiqueradios.com/features/lacquer.html

Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 08, 2020 10:01 pm 

I had my white Philco PT-6 refinished to its original wood. BIX strip worked OK for the bakelite knobs. Thanks for help to those who posted. I also recapped and aligned the radio so it plays well, and now it looks good too!

[img]https://scontent.fewr1-6.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p640x640/86259265_10218037492623558_8131287081843425280_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ohc=z1QjmHFNzF4AX9W0L-_&_nc_ht=scontent.fewr1-6.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=4ca6a8f1c9942aef940cb438649d1168&oe=5ECCD83E

[/img]

PostPosted: Feb Sat 08, 2020 10:14 pm 

I had my white Philco PT-6 refinished to its original wood. BIX strip worked OK for the bakelite knobs. Thanks for help to those who posted. I also recapped and aligned the radio so it plays well, and now it looks good too!

Attachments:
Philco PT-6 complete.JPG
Philco PT-6 complete.JPG [ 665.81 KiB | Viewed 507 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sat 08, 2020 10:20 pm 

It looks great, congrats!

PostPosted: Feb Sun 09, 2020 1:02 am 

Here's another PT-6

Attachments:
PhilcoPT6.jpg
PhilcoPT6.jpg [ 166.72 KiB | Viewed 470 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sun 09, 2020 4:32 am 

Good work on that. Looks fantastic.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2  Next