Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sat 04, 2020 3:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA 5-tube clock radio from 1968 & other "late" tube radios
PostPosted: May Thu 07, 2020 5:05 am 

I found this clean looking "plain Jane" RCA Victor clock radio on Ebay and I was the only bidder. In the Ebay ad, the seller showed the set with the back off and I could see late-1967 date codes on some of the parts. When I got the set, I found an early 1968 date code on one of the RCA tubes. As far as repair, it needed a new filter capacitor and I replaced the two paper capacitors in the set (an AVC filter and the "across the line" fire cracker...I've actually seen that one short and blow the rectifier tube in this style of chassis). To be a cheap AA5 set, it performs well.

By 1966, most manufacturers were heavily focusing on solid state sets; but, there were some tube sets "blown out"in the late '60's. I figure these were mainly made to use up old parts and I'm sure they sold for much less than the solid state models.

The newest RCA tube radio I've seen was this one and I saw the inside of an RCA AM/FM that was Japanese-built (probably by Hitachi) and had '69 date codes on the IF cans. That set did not say "RCA Victor" on it. Instead, it only had the RCA meatball logo that they used on some sets, before transitioning to the RCA block logo.

As far as other "late" tube radios, I have a Zenith AM/FM clock radio from the '69 model year and I used to have a cheap AA5 Westinghouse that had the Edison, NJ address on the back (post-'68).

As far as the company that appears to have held out with tubes the longest, Zenith seems to be the one who wins that prize. In '67, they still offered a bunch of tube sets. Their tube offerings for '68 and '69 were drastically reduced and I know of no Zenith tube sets for 1970.

Does anyone know of any consumer grade non-kit tube radios that were made after 1969?

Attachments:
RCA CR 020.JPG
RCA CR 020.JPG [ 657.45 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
RCA 4.jpg
RCA 4.jpg [ 504.16 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

Post subject: Re: RCA 5-tube clock radio from 1968 & other "late" tube rad
PostPosted: May Thu 07, 2020 4:09 pm 

This has been discussed many times before.

The Zenith Z316 was the last tube radio offered by Zenith. In fact, it carried over to the 1970 sales sheets even though the radios would have been built no later then the 1969 calendar year.

PostPosted: May Thu 07, 2020 9:53 pm 

There was once a little tube radio called "Hi-Fi master"... likely Japanese. I had one once (source long forgotten, but was likely free!) that I restored (had to rebuild the ferrite rod antenna) and sold to a chap in South America! 4 or 5 tubes ... I forget. Anyway, it worked quite well on local stations.
I think there several marketing names for this type as I saw a near identical radio later under a different name. I've no idea of the date, except sort of "late for tubes."
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: May Fri 08, 2020 4:31 am 

In Japan, transistor table radios began replacing AA5 tube models in the early 60s. By the mid 60s, most companies had made the transition. The last tube radios were apparently a few National/Panasonic models, 1967. This refers to the major manufacturers: Sony, Hitachi, Toshiba, Sharp, etc. Smaller, second tier companies might have continued to make tube radios.

Rob

PostPosted: May Fri 08, 2020 5:38 am 

I've got a few pics of late 60's Japanese import tube radios, actual year of manufacture not known.
Wood cabinets with cloth grills, 7-tube FM circuits with silicon rectifiers.

Attachments:
Hyper C412.jpg
Hyper C412.jpg [ 458.34 KiB | Viewed 485 times ]
Panasonic RE-763.PNG
Panasonic RE-763.PNG [ 592.78 KiB | Viewed 485 times ]
DelMonico TFM 99U.jpg
DelMonico TFM 99U.jpg [ 757.62 KiB | Viewed 485 times ]
Electromatic.JPG
Electromatic.JPG [ 227 KiB | Viewed 485 times ]
Panasonic 782 other.JPG
Panasonic 782 other.JPG [ 269.56 KiB | Viewed 485 times ]
Starlite FM-200.jpg
Starlite FM-200.jpg [ 518.1 KiB | Viewed 485 times ]
Winston-AM-SW-FM.jpg
Winston-AM-SW-FM.jpg [ 928.27 KiB | Viewed 485 times ]
Lloyds FM.png
Lloyds FM.png [ 572.89 KiB | Viewed 483 times ]

PostPosted: May Fri 08, 2020 6:35 am 

Dr. Radio wrote:

The Zenith Z316 was the last tube radio offered by Zenith. In fact, it carried over to the 1970 sales sheets even though the radios would have been built no later then the 1969 calendar year.

Zenith also offered the X375 clock radio, though I'm not sure if it was offered as late as the X316 (which I also have an example of).
-Adam

http://www.electronixandmore.com/adam/index.html

PostPosted: May Fri 08, 2020 4:11 pm 

Adam Vaughn wrote:
Dr. Radio wrote:

Zenith also offered the X375 clock radio, though I'm not sure if it was offered as late as the X316 (which I also have an example of).
-Adam

Adam, the “x” line was earlier released. Circa 1966-1967 builds

PostPosted: May Fri 08, 2020 11:59 pm 

If it's of interest to anyone, here's a link to the English index page of the Japan Radio Museum site:

http://www.japanradiomuseum.jp/index-e.html

Unfortunately, most of the chapters are in Japanese. Nonetheless, there are still photos with identifying captions in English. Relevant to this discussion:

http://www.japanradiomuseum.jp/plastic-e.html

http://www.japanradiomuseum.jp/lasttube.html

I was surprised to learn Japanese manufacturers were well into transitioning from tubes to transistors by the early 60s. 1967 seems to be the last year of domestic tube radio production.

Here's another useful link, with some English:

https://radiomann.sakura.ne.jp/AJRradio.html

Rob