Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 26, 2021 12:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Maybe you should have just fixed it instead…
PostPosted: Jun Tue 22, 2021 5:34 pm 

In a moment of insanity I bought an RCA R-73 (one of the 1933 gothic deep chassis sets)

The antenna coil sits on top on the chassis (and the primary is open, but that’s for another time.) Curled up inside the coil form I found this note.

Attachment:
8B3DB279-8383-41C2-8696-D3DE762D735E.jpeg
8B3DB279-8383-41C2-8696-D3DE762D735E.jpeg [ 657.58 KiB | Viewed 1173 times ]

And it was so; the wire joining the RF top cap and antenna coil to the tuning capacitor had a hole worn through the insulation. A piece of heat shrink took care of that without issue without having to leave any notes for future generations. :)

I wonder if I should be more impressed that this radio was still in use when it was 17 years old.

Post subject: Re: Maybe you should have just fixed it instead…
PostPosted: Jun Tue 22, 2021 6:12 pm 

It's possible the owner managed to figure that out on their own, but wasn't technically capable of making the repair and chose to leave the note for future reference.

My own experiences growing up in the 50's and 60's tells me that some families including my own continued to use pre-war radios which still worked. There were even some who would have a set that old repaired rather than buy a new one.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 22, 2021 8:28 pm 

My Grandfather was still running his Philco 41-285 console radio in the late 1950s; I have it now. A lady in my neighborhood was still using a 42-380 in the late 1960s; I repaired it for her.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 22, 2021 9:21 pm 

My grandparents had a Silvertone 46 vintage record player console radio that they used until, I think, the early 70s. Came over one time and it was gone. Something about getting too expensive to keep running or repair or such? It had given constant service without any complaints that I recall. They were then endeared to solid state radios fully across the board.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 23, 2021 1:48 am 

At least he left a note. Most people had better things to do like play golf or watch hockey. :D

PostPosted: Jun Wed 23, 2021 3:21 am 

I love finding stuff like that, along with vintage repairs---they tell a story of the radio's history

PostPosted: Jun Wed 23, 2021 4:50 am 

Paul Dietenberger wrote:

I wonder if I should be more impressed that this radio was still in use when it was 17 years old.

That's nothing for radios found in Central and Southern Appalachia and parts of the Southeast. I remember I had a Motorola 59T5 (1939 model) that had several repair notations in the back, the most recent dated 1984. The neat part was is most of them were in the same handwriting. So that one had at least a 45 year service life and probably spent its whole life in Harlan County, KY, which is where I found it in the early 2000s. A lot of the people in those parts kept their stuff running forever.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Jun Wed 23, 2021 6:31 am 

tubes4life wrote:
I love finding stuff like that, along with vintage repairs---they tell a story of the radio's history

Yeah, it tells a story that sometimes you have to give the antenna coil a little push so that the top of the secondary isn't shorted to chassis. My kingdom for a rubber grommet. :D Which speaking of, maybe I will put one of those in when I finish the permanent wiring around there, like I did for the hole where the speaker wires come out. We don't like B+ for the output transformer shorted to chassis either.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 23, 2021 5:08 pm 

Finding old notes is great. Here is the Service Tag from my Radiotrope “The President”.
Attachment:
Sherman, Clay & Co. Service Tag.jpg
Sherman, Clay & Co. Service Tag.jpg [ 542.03 KiB | Viewed 792 times ]

THE Sherman, Clay & Co. SERVICE TAG
DATE SERVICE MAN WORK DONE
7-10-33 21 Installed OK
9-28-33 Steinluger Knobs tightened to eliminate slipping. Hum control adjusted. Aerial and grd
leads renewed with flexible insulated wire. Aerial and grd leads connected
correctly. Set balanced. A.V.C. +2.a.% C. Grid leads run under tube shield.
5/17/38 H.F. 3-460, checked OK
11/10/39 Complete overhaul job $15.25
Also hand written on the tag is the brand, Radiotrope and the Serial Number 1198862. The Serial Number on tag matches the S/N of the radio.
Not really sure what the A.V.C. comment is about. Another mystery is the grid lead comment. The grid leads would have been under the tube shield from the factory.
It would be fun to know what the $15.25 complete overhaul job consisted of. Since my complete overhaul, the radio has been playing for a couple of weeks. The driver and P-P output tubes have a 1937 date on them and a couple tubes are balloon style, they are still in service.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 23, 2021 8:43 pm 

From Inflation Calculator:
If in 1939 (enter year) I purchased an item for $15.25
then in 2021 (enter year) that same item would cost:
$295.34
Cumulative rate of inflation:
1836.7%

Wow. expensive repair!
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Jun Wed 23, 2021 9:35 pm 

engineer wrote:
From Inflation Calculator:
If in 1939 (enter year) I purchased an item for $15.25
then in 2021 (enter year) that same item would cost:
$295.34
Cumulative rate of inflation:
1836.7%

Wow. expensive repair!
Cheers,
Roger

Sure was, but if it is a Radiotrope 2052, that set probably cost a small fortune when it was new, and replacing it with a new radio of equivalent quality after just six years would have cost probably six times $15.25. So might as well get it fixed.

That's the kind of a bill that would keep repairmen fed and housed, I suppose, so I think I'm not too surprised. Last time I had something repaired, I took the grandfather clock and cuckoo clock I inherited to a clock repairman last month. Cost me over $500 to do the two of them.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 23, 2021 10:06 pm 

Roger, like you I found this to be a very costly repair! Paul you are right, it is a Radiotrope 2052. So far, I have not been able to find out what it cost new. We will probably never know what a complete overhaul includes. The five electrolytics might have been changed during the repair. It is a 12 tube, dual speaker, six leg low-boy so the overhaul cost might include a round trip to the shop and back. In the fall of 1939, there was lots of news coming out of Europe so I guess you would want your radio in top condition.
The original owners were no doubt quite well off financially to have purchased such a nice radio in the hard times of the summer of 1933.