Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 21, 2021 2:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Thompson Delay radio mfg.
PostPosted: Jul Wed 28, 2021 2:36 am 

anyone have any information on the Thompson Delay radio mfg

Post subject: Re: Thompson Delay radio mfg.
PostPosted: Jul Wed 28, 2021 11:43 am 

Google search doesn't immediately bring up anything relevant for me. A little more about why you're asking might help...

Are we talking 1920s battery radios, 1960s transistor radios from Australia, or maybe just radio components you've seen in west coast radios? Do you have a radio in-hand? Can you post a photo of a company logo?

PostPosted: Jul Sat 31, 2021 6:32 am 

i've been working on a Nathaniel Baldwin " Baldwin Special" which i learning was built as an off breed Kilbourne & Clark "Air Roamer" which has
Thompson Delay and McCall names on it also

Haven't found any schematics or info on it yet

What I've learned is that Kilbourne & Clark, Thompson and Delay and McCall were all based in Seattle, WA around 1923 but all went out of business shortly afterwards. The majority of the radio mfg's during that time were back east and they wanted to compete from the west coast.

Nathaniel Baldwin was the inventor of the headphones in 1921

including pics of my radio as found and what it looks like now during restoration.

Attachments:
IMG_2669.JPG
IMG_2669.JPG [ 656.37 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]
IMG_2684.JPG
IMG_2684.JPG [ 558.65 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]
IMG_2681.JPG
IMG_2681.JPG [ 698.69 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]
IMG_2682.JPG
IMG_2682.JPG [ 661.41 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]
IMG_2683.JPG
IMG_2683.JPG [ 851.38 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]
IMG_3324.JPG
IMG_3324.JPG [ 763.81 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]
IMG_4964.JPG
IMG_4964.JPG [ 852.96 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]
IMG_4813.JPG
IMG_4813.JPG [ 694.8 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]
IMG_5640.JPG
IMG_5640.JPG [ 4.45 MiB | Viewed 520 times ]
IMG_5641.JPG
IMG_5641.JPG [ 4.31 MiB | Viewed 520 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Sat 31, 2021 6:44 am 

i've found no parts with the Thompson Delay name stamped on it, it might have been a circuit design that was included.

Nathaniel Baldwin invented the headphones as I mentioned in the last reply but also invented and sold the horn speaker .

I figuring that he wanted to sell his horn speaker as a set with a radio.

I learned through pictures that the gut to the Kilbourne & Clark "Air Roamer" is identical to the "Baldwin Special".
with the exception of the front 3 tuning dials. Guessing he changed them to make his radio look different from the "Air Roamer" kinda like changing the door handles on a Fidgeadair Refrigerator and now its a Westinghouse Refrigerator, same guts but it looks different for the majority of the public.

Keep us informed as to your searching.

I've contacted the Antique radio Club, The Vintage Radio Museum and lately the West Coast Vintage Radio Club in Seattle hoping they may have some local radio data of Mfg'r that were in their area back in the day

good luck Ron

PostPosted: Jul Sat 31, 2021 12:51 pm 

Ron, that's super interesting! I'm very curious about Seattle radios, since I live and work in the area, but I've never heard of Thompson DeLay. Of course, I'm a relative n00b in the hobby as well.

There's a joint, outdoor swap meet of the Portland and Seattle clubs planned for August 21st in Chehalis, WA. Maybe if you brought your radio, sat it on a table with a not-for-sale request-for-information sign, and talked it around, somebody might know a tidbit or two. At least lots of people would get to see it. Never know where that might lead.

-Rodney

PostPosted: Jul Sat 31, 2021 5:40 pm 

Salem1967 wrote:
Nathaniel Baldwin invented the headphones as I mentioned in the last reply but also invented and sold the horn speaker.

Nathaniel Baldwin did not invent the speaker or headphones. He invented an improved version of the driver unit that can be found in headphones and speakers.

There are two types of 1920s, high impedance, headphone reproducers. One is the type that's similar to what was used in the old telephone receivers. It consisted of a thin, flexible, metal diaphragm over a pair of coils. Headphones that used this type of reproducer were generally very affordable in their day. The impedance of this type of driver was usually between 1000 to 2000 ohms.

The other type, invented by Nathaniel Baldwin, was the more complicated balanced armature type which did a better job in reproducing sound. It also had more fidelity then the telephone receiver type. Headphones that used this type of reproducer were, generally, more expensive then the headphones that used the simpler telephone diaphragm reproducer. The impedance of this type of driver was usually around 1000 ohms.

The classic Baldwin model C is probably the best quality, 1920s, headphone to use with a crystal radio or just about any 1920s era radio. It uses a very high quality, balanced armature type, driver that's loud and sensitive. This is the brand of headphones which I use exclusively. You may be able to find better quality, high impedance, headphones that were made during and after the war but they will also look more modern. My four Orchestrion horn speakers all use either Baldwin or Utah balanced armature audio drivers. They sound so much better then the horn speakers that use the old telephone receiver audio drivers.

Utah Speaker using a Baldwin designed balanced armature driver unit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/313621924602?h ... Sw995hBG7m

The three tuning dials on your Baldwin Special are not original. The are aftermarket replacements by the original owner in order to achieve a higher degree of ratio tuning. The two outer dials are set at 45 degrees in order to avoid the audio jacks below. There is a two dial battery radio which had the dials set at 90 degrees but this is not that radio. I forget what brand name of radio that is. Finding exact replacements for the main tuning dials should be easy. Locating replacement fine tuning knobs may prove to be a little more difficult. Oh, and the two filament control knobs of your set aren't original either.

The original dials were just like those found on the K&C receiver along with the fine tuning knobs that were set off to the lower side of each tuning dial.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/kilbourne_airroamer.html

That Baldwin Special is nothing more then a rebadged Kilbourn & Clark "McCall Air Roamer".

I'm not so sure that this "Baldwin Special" had any connection with Nathanial Baldwin. I believe the Thompson Delay Co. contracted K&C to make these radios for them and they simply marketed these radios under the fancy name of "Baldwin Special". I think that Baldwin may have marketed radios in Canada in the mid 1920s, I don't know. Maybe this was for that company.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 01, 2021 5:42 am 

Any idea where I could find a schematic for the “Air Roamer”

Guessing it was the closest radio to this.

I’m trying to figure out how it worked but I don’t have the experience with tube things

Thanks again for the Nathaniel Baldwin info, it really is helping to create a more accurate story

Thanks again

Ron

PostPosted: Aug Sun 01, 2021 5:46 am 

I saw an article from Baldwins grand kids that were looking for some of his radios, but that article was in 2008

The Radiomuseum.org shows about 8 radios he built, I saw one with a schematic and requested it

Thanks again. Will keep you informed as I progress

Will you be at the Aug radio swap meet ?

PostPosted: Aug Sun 01, 2021 11:26 am 

Yes, I plan to be there!

-Rodney