Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 22, 2021 8:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: garage sale find: Zenith 9S367
PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 6:04 pm 

I found this Zenith 9-S-367 at a garage sale for $25. I usually ask if I don't see any radios, and this time they did have one. He said it belonged to his grandfather, but it had set in the garage for years. It looks in decent shape and there is no trace (or smell) of mouse damage, but I have not removed the chassis yet. The dial belt is broken, but the knobs and tubes are all there. Should be interesting to repair.

John

Attachments:
DSC00391R.jpg
DSC00391R.jpg [ 184.89 KiB | Viewed 1667 times ]
DSC00390R.jpg
DSC00390R.jpg [ 188.82 KiB | Viewed 1667 times ]
DSC00392R.jpg
DSC00392R.jpg [ 208.29 KiB | Viewed 1667 times ]

Last edited by JohnSchw on Sep Sat 04, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: September Finds and Losses
PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 6:42 pm 

I believe I mistakenly clicked on "New Topic" instead of "Reply". I intended for it to be under the existing September Finds & Losses.

John

Post subject: Re: garage sale find
PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 8:53 pm 

Congrats! Even in the radio rich Midwest, you stole that one! :wink:

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 9:19 pm 

This radio is going to be a wintertime project. Are they difficult to work on? I imagine that replacing the dial belt is going to be a challenge!

John

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 10:49 pm 

I don't think AFA recapping that they are difficult at all. The challenge is really more on the mechanical end. Here's a link to my restoration of an 8S-463, which I imagine is mechanically about the same as your model;
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=222506&p=1861234#p1861234

And here's a step by step for replacing the dial drive belt.

Attachments:
Replacing the dial belt on a Zenith 8S463.rtf [1.01 KiB]
Downloaded 39 times

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 1:43 am 

Very nice find.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 2:38 pm 

fifties: Thanks for the info on the drive belt replacement. Was the original drive belt flat or round (I haven't removed the chassis yet)? Is the "Quality Radio Belts" ad on this site a good place for replacement belts? I see that the Zenith 9S367 is listed. Must be quite a complicated mechanical system to get the band change mechanism to work.
The link for removing the chassis will be quite helpful on what to look for. My main concern is the pushbuttons.

John

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 2:53 pm 

The JFD listing I found online says that radio needs their 11 3/4 belt, Number 36. This guy has one, it might be the only 36 he has, so might jump on it. BTW these are NOS belts so inspect on receipt. https://www.ebay.com/itm/294274794046?h ... SwbZJg7yRu

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 2:57 pm 

BTW the link to the JDF belt specs and catalog is a pdf here, for anyone that wants to hoard the info in case the site ever goes away:
file:///C:/Users/New%20User/Downloads/jfdbelt46%20(2).pdf

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 4:48 pm 

fifties: It was raining so I went into my shop for another look at the Zenith. After reading your posts on the 8S463, there are a few differences. Mine has the Shutterdial and has more pushbuttons. It must have been worked on before as only 2 chassis screws were in place. Removing the chassis screws and the tuning knobs, the chassis is still fastened at the tone control pushbutton assembly. Not sure how to free that up. Is it fastened from the back, or are there screws under the the bezel in the front?

I unplugged the speaker and checked continuity. 2 pins (closest together) are about 1K, the other 2 are open. Will have to check circuit to see if it is transformer or field coil bad.

This radio has a different tube lineup from the 8S463. It uses a 5Y4G rectifier instead if the 6X5. Is this a more suitable tube, as it appears that there may be issues with a 6X5?

As fat as the power transformer, is this one that would benefit from a line dropping resistor? I have not checked continuity yet until I remove the chassis.

Just trying to anticipate possible issues that may come up.

John

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 5:11 pm 

Nice score, John. You are in the Zenith Console Club, so shove the chairs and couches aside. :D

The question of removing the tone control connection to the front has been answered here, but you need to search old posts to find it. Or someone will pipe up soon.

Also there are many here who have replaced the belt by cutting it, threading it through and then Super-Gluing the cut ends.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 9:33 pm 

wazz wrote:
The JFD listing I found online says that radio needs their 11 3/4 belt, Number 36. This guy has one, it might be the only 36 he has, so might jump on it. BTW these are NOS belts so inspect on receipt. https://www.ebay.com/itm/294274794046?h ... SwbZJg7yRu

NOS is probably fine if we are dealing with a tube, IF can, or tuner, but would you really want to go to all the trouble of dissassembly and re assembly only to have a 70 year old belt break?

Quote:
Also there are many here who have replaced the belt by cutting it, threading it through and then Super-Gluing the cut ends.

Been there and done that, with an O-Ring. Lasted about two months.

JohnSchw wrote:
fifties: It was raining so I went into my shop for another look at the Zenith. After reading your posts on the 8S463, there are a few differences. Mine has the Shutterdial and has more pushbuttons. It must have been worked on before as only 2 chassis screws were in place. Removing the chassis screws and the tuning knobs, the chassis is still fastened at the tone control pushbutton assembly. Not sure how to free that up. Is it fastened from the back, or are there screws under the the bezel in the front?

I unplugged the speaker and checked continuity. 2 pins (closest together) are about 1K, the other 2 are open. Will have to check circuit to see if it is transformer or field coil bad.

This radio has a different tube lineup from the 8S463. It uses a 5Y4G rectifier instead if the 6X5. Is this a more suitable tube, as it appears that there may be issues with a 6X5?

As fat as the power transformer, is this one that would benefit from a line dropping resistor? I have not checked continuity yet until I remove the chassis.

Just trying to anticipate possible issues that may come up.

John

Yes, I can imagine there are differences between yours and the 8 tube model; my thread was just a basic guide for you.

Your rectifier tube is superior to the 6X5, so that's one concern that now, isn't.

Any radio made for 110 VAC would benefit from a drop of the current higher incoming now used, at 120+. That said, if the radio is only going to be used infrequently or for short spells, you probably don't need to add the resistor.

Post subject: Re: garage sale find: Zenith 9S367
PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 9:45 pm 

John,
You might try Quality Radio Belts advertised in ARF on the right side column. Ted makes a highly recommended round belt.
GL,
Henry

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 1:59 am 

i just restored one of these last year-you need to remove the estusteon before the chassis.the tone bank can be pulled out and is held to the estusteon with two screws= unscrew them and lay it aside.the pushbutton bank bolts to the chassis from the front of the cabinet and then unbolt the chassis and remove it with the tone bank and pushbutton bank attached.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 4:38 pm 

al nicholson: Thanks for the instructions. I did manage to get the chassis removed. Lots of small screws to remove. I put them all in a small labeled zip-lock bag so the wouldn't get "lost", as several have done in the past! Ohmed out the power xfmr and appears good. Noticed that most of the tubes are original Zenith brand so probably has not been worked on too much. Rechecked field coil and output xfmr and appear good. Now for the cleanup and re-cap.

John

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 7:54 pm 

I decided to attempt the dial belt replacement and take apart the assembly. I did take pictures before I started, but unfortunately, not good enough! This is the unassembled picture.
Attachment:
DSC00394R.jpg
DSC00394R.jpg [ 268.65 KiB | Viewed 627 times ]

I took it apart, but must not have paid close enough attention because I missed the location of the black plastic part that looks like a bushing. Parts picture, basically in order of disassembly (except black plastic bushing?).
Attachment:
DSC00416R.jpg
DSC00416R.jpg [ 116.55 KiB | Viewed 627 times ]

The part in question looks as if it should be a bushing on the back support of the tuning shaft. However, it does not fit as it is slightly oversize. If it had popped out at some time, could the plastic have swelled up? If I file it down to fit, I could probably keep it in place with a small spring between it and the flywheel. This is the part and the opening that I suspect it should fit in. Anyone know for sure?
Attachment:
DSC00418R.jpg
DSC00418R.jpg [ 64.76 KiB | Viewed 627 times ]

Attachment:
DSC00415R.jpg
DSC00415R.jpg [ 234.44 KiB | Viewed 627 times ]

This is my first attempt to place pictures among the text, so it may not be the correct way.

johnschw

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 10:21 pm 

The bushing does go in the bracket hole right in front of the volume control.
Sometimes they can be a little tricky to get back in place once they come out. If you absolutely can't get it back in the hole, you could file off a little material from the bushing to get it back in the hole. A drop or two of J-B weld would keep in in place afterwards. Normally this is not necessary though.

The tone organ and station preset mechanisms can be a pain as Richard mentions on mechanical problems. They are not really designed for durability and can be somewhat fragile.

Both will usually be very dirty and have switch contacts that need cleaning and detailing. The interlocking mechanism on the station presets will need to be cleaned well and lubricated. They are somewhat fragile so be careful of the small wires on the coils.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 9:37 pm 

paul: Thanks. I was fairly sure that was where it went, but when it did not want to install in that opening, I thought I had better check.
There is a danger of frost so have to get the garden stuff taken care of. Will attempt to install it when I get more time.

John

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 8:53 pm 

Finally got the tuning belt replaced (belt from Quality Radio Belts). The bushing went into the hole with a little persuasion and "words of encouragement"! Cleaning and lube the reduction gears and reassembled. Now to attack the rest.

John

Attachments:
DSC00422R.jpg
DSC00422R.jpg [ 278.41 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]