Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Wed 29, 2020 6:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Almost free source for White LED's
PostPosted: Nov Sun 24, 2019 7:20 pm 

Most of us have visited our Local Harbor Freight Store to get a Free LED Puck Light. The older model had 27 white LED's. The newer model has two Comb LED bar's. So after looking around the house I found four older models that were not being used. So I dismantled them. Besides the LED's, I saved the battery contacts, the round magnet, swivel hook, and all the little screws. Now I know I have a box of burnt out #47 lamps some ware. When I find the box, it will be time to make up replacement lamps for a lot of my Boat Anchor Radio's.

Post subject: Re: Almost free source for White LED's
PostPosted: Dec Sat 21, 2019 4:57 pm 

Or.... you could spend good money on a set of Chinese made christmas LED lights, and have the string fail by the second year and have probably 200 LEDS for projects... after my second repair, enough is enough... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Dec Sat 21, 2019 7:35 pm 

Mbohuntr wrote:
Or.... you could spend good money on a set of Chinese made christmas LED lights, and have the string fail by the second year and have probably 200 LEDS for projects... after my second repair, enough is enough... :mrgreen:

Great idea. Target already had their lights 30% off yesterday, so I'd imagine even bigger price cuts to come.

Most of my puck lights came as promotional items - buy our tools, software, office equipment, etc. None have failed....yet. Two mounted in a closet, one permanently mounted under the hood of my Toyota, and another attached to my band saw where it lights up about 3/4ths of the table. The puck light on the band saw outlasted the software company that gave them out - they made data storage management software that the "cloud" obsoleted. Bain Capital snatched them up, mortgaged their properties, and quickly bankrupted them. :shock:

PostPosted: Dec Sat 21, 2019 8:10 pm 

Discarded large-screen TV sets found on the curb often contain LED backlight strips. These can be very useful if you have a project which requires strips of white LEDs.

-EB

PostPosted: Jan Sat 11, 2020 2:47 pm 

the leds in the free hf lights and most christmas strings are very poor quality.
fade fast and very blue.
i found the ones in the hf lights were below 50% after 2 charges on my li-ion conversions.
i replaced them with good high cri ones and no further issues.
and they render colors correctly.
cheap nasty leds are going to look awful in a vintage radio.
if you want to led some #47 get yuji warm whites.