Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 25, 2020 6:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Managed Payments
PostPosted: Sep Sun 20, 2020 12:10 pm 

Anyone else having trouble with managed payments? Seems eBay doesn't want to send my money. Maybe a letter to the new CEO will help.

Post subject: Re: Managed Payments
PostPosted: Sep Mon 21, 2020 3:31 pm 

No problems as of yet but it's early. My payments were initially set up to be sent daily but I changed that to weekly.
I'm still getting accustomed as to how the system works. I finally figured out how to send a packing slip since PayPal
is pretty much out of the picture in that respect. Time will tell.

Craig R.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 21, 2020 8:39 pm 

I haven't sent a packing slip since day one; thought it would be a total waste of time, paper and effort, and an unnecessary use of my printer. Never ran into any problems in 8 years. My letter to the CEO went out today.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 22, 2020 2:31 am 

I have been forcibly converted to managed payments (which is a euphemism for "let us hold your money while you pay for shipping..." But I haven't yet run an auction using it. I'm waiting for the flak to settle and for them to get bugs like slow payments worked out.

The way I set mine up was to establish a bank account used for no other purpose than eBay (I don't want to give them access to my primary bank accounts). I put some money in it to cover eBay fees and any shipping I do through eBay. When I start selling I'll learn how quickly they make the money from sales available. If I make any money from sales I can use an ATM card to extract the cash from the special account and then use it or deposit it elsewhere.

I have kept my PayPal account, because I ship a fair number of items by UPS which eBay does not yet support. And I will make all eBay purchases using the PayPal account to keep them separate from the sales activity.

IMHO managed payments is one more step towards driving casual sellers off eBay, which is too bad for us radio collectors. Grandma's radio won't be appearing much on eBay anymore.

john

PostPosted: Sep Wed 23, 2020 2:31 am 

glowsinthedark wrote:
I have been forcibly converted to managed payments ...

The way I set mine up was to establish a bank account used for no other purpose than eBay (I don't want to give them access to my primary bank accounts). ...

I have kept my PayPal account ...

IMHO managed payments is one more step towards driving casual sellers off eBay, which is too bad for us radio collectors. Grandma's radio won't be appearing much on eBay anymore.

john

I've been on "managed payments" for about a month, now. Seems to be working okay, as transfers are reaching my bank account. Though, I don't see the benefit to eBay, and especially to me, about this change. Whatever extra pennies they're making on any transactions, are probably offset by the extra work (and pay to their employees), to handle this service.

The bank account, I use, was set up years ago, specifically, for online activity, and is different from my main accounts, and even at a different bank.

eBay has been doing some really strange things, in the last 2 years. The one that ticked me off, the most. is not allowing (non youtube) links, off eBay. I sell kits, that have instruction pages. I use to link those in my eBay listings, but they've been disabled for over a year, now. They are really paranoid about sellers, selling items off eBay (thru private emails) and using Paypal, so they lose out on their final fees. The final fees, is where they get their money. Listing fees, are tiny, if any, for many items.

I believe they're hurting themselves worse, by trying to prevent a little "leakage", as I've noticed many online vendors are now leaving eBay, to avoid all this crap. I'm very tempted just to add merchant capabilities to my site, and be done with eBay.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 23, 2020 2:55 am 

threeneurons wrote:
Quote:
I believe they're hurting themselves worse, by trying to prevent a little "leakage", as I've noticed many online vendors are now leaving eBay, to avoid all this crap. I'm very tempted just to add merchant capabilities to my site, and be done with eBay.

Amen. Years ago I remember reading a study by the business school at Harvard concerning employee theft. They looked at a number of companies which went to different lengths to stop their employees from pilfering. The main result was that as a general rule the loss from employee theft was much smaller than the cost of preventing it. And employees at companies with draconian strategies were much less likely to work as hard or do as good a job. There are, of course, cases of massive theft by employees, but they usually involve embezzling cash and catching the culprits requires only relatively straightforward auditing.

eBay was a wonderful place when they operated as the world's largest garage sale, but they've gone downhill (at least as a place for collectors) since they decided to compete with Amazon. Yet another case of a company that forgot what its ecological niche is.

john

PostPosted: Sep Wed 23, 2020 12:56 pm 

For a few years they were after listing fee's but now as others said it looks like selling fee's they are after more. They increased the number of free listings for store, added 10,000 free listings in some catagories. They would not do that if they were still after listing fee's. Its possible they also did that to make up for sellers leaving their site, who knows.

Ive been on managed payments for over a month now. Its ok but still a little confusing. I had a return which was just a refund and it took some of the money out of my managed payment account and some out of my attached account. I have to keep a watch on my attached account now because of this I guess. Luckily I have very few returns so that wont be common for me.

I like having shipping label costs and seller fee's taken out before I get paid but many dont. (Im unsure the label costs taken out are available to everyone) I still have to pay my store's monthly fee and any fedex shipping costs separate.

When you go to print an ebay label there is a box to check on the bottom for me to choose how to pay for your label, at least that is how mine is. Yours may vary.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 23, 2020 1:48 pm 

Never heard of Managed Payments. What is it?

PostPosted: Sep Thu 24, 2020 3:50 am 

jimbenedict wrote:
Never heard of Managed Payments. What is it?

Its relatively new. eBay is now handling payments, instead of Paypal. As a buyer, you can still buy using your Paypal account, but as a seller, payments now go thru ebay, and they periodically transfer the funds directly to your bank account. eBay is pushing Paypal, out of the selling side of the transaction.

But since many buyers still use Paypal, eBay has a Paypal account. I don't know what fees eBay has to pay Paypal. Plus, now eBay had to set up a whole new department, to administer payments. Yes, most of it is automated, but that was the case with Paypal. You still have to have humans, managing the software, and take care of any "unintended software features". This is being rolled in gradually. Only a portion of sellers, at a time. All will be shifted to "managed payments", before the end of the year. Sellers do not have a choice. Its managed payments, ONLY. I still don't see how eBay is going to save money on this, unless they raise their fees. That's going to drive more sellers away.

A bunch of unimaginative middle managers have wrecked eBay.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 24, 2020 5:30 am 

ebay bought PayPal when it went into default and stole a lot of money from members including me ($30) many years ago. Some lost thousands. PayPal was not penalized by any authority and owners simply walked away likely with millions. eBay sold PayPal a few years ago. Now, ebay wants to completely rid PayPal as payment method on ebay items? It may break PayPal.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 24, 2020 7:46 am 

After about 24 days I finally got paid; don't know yet if all the funds have been sent to me--I will have to add up everything. Just one more thing to hate about eBay; payments won't get into your account for 3-5 business days. Difficult to keep track of payments. Also, a recent video from Crazeenydriver said that he is not getting final value fees credited to him after returns/cancellations/non-paying buyers.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 24, 2020 8:05 am 
Site Admin

jimbenedict wrote:
ebay bought PayPal when it went into default and stole a lot of money from members including me ($30) many years ago. Some lost thousands. PayPal was not penalized by any authority and owners simply walked away likely with millions. eBay sold PayPal a few years ago. Now, ebay wants to completely rid PayPal as payment method on ebay items? It may break PayPal.

PayPal never went into default as far as I remember. Citation?

PostPosted: Sep Thu 24, 2020 8:30 am 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
jimbenedict wrote:

Exactly. eBay was using their own system called "Bill Point", but it couldn't compete with PayPal, so they bought the company for a not small amount, as in 1.5 billion.
Management then recently spun PayPal off as it's own entity.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 24, 2020 4:31 pm 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
jimbenedict wrote:

PayPal just walked away from 1000s with money in their account. It was lost forever. Perhaps it never filed for bankruptcy, but was broke. A month or two later ebay bought it. 1000s lost money. I was one. If ebay did not purchase PayPal, it would not be here today.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 25, 2020 5:10 am 
Site Admin

Citation? Just before or after it went public?

I'm not saying it didn't happen, but there must be some mention of this somewhere.

[i]X.com, which was renamed PayPal in 2001 and went public in 2002. PayPal's IPO listed under the ticker PYPL at $13 per share and generated over $61 million. Shortly after PayPal's IPO, the company was acquired by eBay on October 3, 2002, for $1.5 billion.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 25, 2020 12:31 pm 

I cannot find anything about the funds lost with PayPal on the internet. They had a hot line and I called it for a month and finally gave up. All I remember is they told me everyday they were working on it. I lost $30. It could have been accounts were digitally lost vs lack of funds. I believe the year was 2001.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 25, 2020 4:10 pm 

I've been on eBay and PayPal since 1998. I don't remember a single time when PayPal took money wrongfully from me or was "bankrupt." I do remember a time when eBay mistakenly approved a buyer's request for a $475 refund without following their own procedures. That refund was overturned on appeal and I got the buyer's payment back. But PayPal? I think they've always been great. My PayPal debit card got hacked while I was in Canada one time and their support staff fixed the problem instantly, canceling the fraudulent charges and issuing a new card right away. I wish all banks were as easy to deal with.

It remains to be seen whether things will work as well now that the financial aspects of my eBay selling are entirely in their hands. I'm skeptical about managed payments, but will be starting my first new auctions next week and will hope that it works out.

john

PostPosted: Sep Fri 25, 2020 7:21 pm 

I swear it did happen.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 25, 2020 7:21 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
I cannot find anything about the funds lost with PayPal on the internet.

Exactly. I would suggest that you stop trying to go by an aged memory, and Google a source before you make a claim that PP went bankrupt.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 25, 2020 7:47 pm 

I refused to give them my SS# so my account was suspended until I do.
Screw them... :twisted:

:evil:

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 34 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next