Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 15, 2021 9:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Another eBay Low
PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 11:51 pm 

I sold a 50A1 tube to a buyer in Uraguay on 7/9/21.
The tube was shipped the same day and went from the West Coast to Miami. From Miami to Panama City, Panama and finally Montivideo, Uraguay on 7/23/21 and that is the end of the tracking.
The buyer opened a case on 9/15/21. eBay suspended my payment. I contacted the buyer and gave him all the tracking info which he could easily get himself. Which is eBay policy. He claims the postal officials have no record.
I recontacted eBay and requested that they close the case and reinstate my money. eBay closed the case in the buyer's favor and debited my account with the statement that "Seller did not provide signed receipt". eBay has no such policy.
I appealed their decision.
Here is what I received from eBay:

I encourage you to contact the carrier to know the exact location of the item. I also suggest to have an open communication to your buyer and provide an invoice for them to pay for the item once tacking shows delivered. We believe that kind and courteous communication always lead to a satisfying resolution with your trading partner.
I'm confident that this action will resolve the concern in the soonest time possible. We appreciate your patience and understanding. Thank you choosing eBay as your business partner

Thanks,
Andres T.
eBay Customers Service

Once you ship an item and prove the shipment, it is out of your custody and control.
They want me to invoice the buyer if he ever gets it? Yea sure, I am sure he will pay.
I see many complaints on this forum that eBay does not protect the buyer. Here is an example of eBay not protecting a Top Seller who has paid eBay $8200 in fees over the last six years.

Post subject: Re: Another eBay Low
PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 1:11 am 

rkoch17355 wrote:
The tube was shipped the same day and went from the West Coast to Miami. From Miami to Panama City, Panama and finally Montivideo, Uraguay on 7/23/21 and that is the end of the tracking.
The buyer opened a case on 9/15/21. eBay suspended my payment. I contacted the buyer and gave him all the tracking info which he could easily get himself. Which is eBay policy. He claims the postal officials have no record.
I recontacted eBay and requested that they close the case and reinstate my money. eBay closed the case in the buyer's favor and debited my account with the statement that "Seller did not provide signed receipt". eBay has no such policy.

I encourage you to contact the carrier to know the exact location of the item. I also suggest to have an open communication to your buyer and provide an invoice for them to pay for the item once tacking shows delivered. We believe that kind and courteous communication always lead to a satisfying resolution with your trading partner.
I'm confident that this action will resolve the concern in the soonest time possible. We appreciate your patience and understanding. Thank you choosing eBay as your business partner

Thanks,
Andres T.
eBay Customers Service

Once you ship an item and prove the shipment, it is out of your custody and control.
They want me to invoice the buyer if he ever gets it? Yea sure, I am sure he will pay.
I see many complaints on this forum that eBay does not protect the buyer. Here is an example of eBay not protecting a Top Seller who has paid eBay $8200 in fees over the last six years.

Use eBay Global shipping and you will not be responsible for delivery once it leaves the USA.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 1:17 am 

Yes, using the eBay Global Shipping Program is the way to go if you are going to do international selling.
What carrier did you use to ship the item? Did you insure it? Have you contacted them and report the item was not delivered?
You can't expect eBay to eat the cost of an undelivered item.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 1:26 am 

Sellers on EBay are responsible for getting whatever they sell to the buyers front door and in the condition described in the auction. I understand your complaint, but that is the fairest way to place responsibility for delivery. Obviously not a perfect way though, as you found out. Sorry you have a lost delivery, but I'm sure most sellers with a significant amount of sales have had it happen to them.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

Last edited by atwaterkent1 on Sep Sun 19, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 1:41 am 

jimbenedict wrote:
rkoch17355 wrote:

Thanks,
Andres T.
eBay Customers Service

Use eBay Global shipping and you will not be responsible for delivery once it leaves the USA.

But EBay Global will not ship tubes.

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 2:33 am 

oldradio99 is correct.
ebay Global classifies tubes as hazardous material.
As discussed several times on this forum, the seller keeps the money, the buyer gets a refund.
The scam is that the tubes are sold to another ebay seller, 8ten1944 who currently has 32K active listings. Then he relists them and uses your pictures.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 2:44 am 

$8200 in fees indicates a substantial turnover. Chalk it up as a loss. Sell tubes only in the USA, better chance of getting where its going...

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 4:50 am 

rkoch17355 wrote:
oldradio99 is correct.
ebay Global classifies tubes as hazardous material.
As discussed several times on this forum, the seller keeps the money, the buyer gets a refund.
The scam is that the tubes are sold to another ebay seller, 8ten1944 who currently has 32K active listings. Then he relists them and uses your pictures.

"the seller keeps the money". So is there anything wrong with that? WTH do you care who ends up with the tube, as long as you keep the payment? The buyer gets reimbursed, so he's not out.

In the current situation he either has or doesn't have the tube, and you are out both the tube and shipping.

I'll add Uruguay to Italy, as countries I won't directly ship to.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 8:59 pm 

fifties wrote:

If an item is shipped by Global, what differences does it make if it was shipped to Italy or Uruguay, the seller/shipper is covered, right? It's only if you ship to these countries using USPS or some other shipper that you run the risk. I think this "WILL NOT SHIP TO ITALY" stance is a relic of a time period before Global Shipping came along.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 9:09 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
fifties wrote:

If an item is shipped by Global, what differences does it make if it was shipped to Italy or Uruguay, the seller/shipper is covered, right? It's only if you ship to these countries using USPS or some other shipper that you run the risk. I think this "WILL NOT SHIP TO ITALY" stance is a relic of a time period before Global Shipping came along.

I posted, "will not DIRECTLY ship to", thx. And yes, you're correct, my two unfortunate losses to Italy occurred 15-20 years ago.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 10:00 pm 

Maybe that's why I see so often. No International Shipping. It's just not worth any hassle that may pop up.

Freeman

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 10:09 pm 

It's the heavy items that you take the risk in shipping internationally, Even if an item does reach the buyer, if that buyer decides to return it for a refund for whatever reason, not only would you lose the sale but to ship it back would mean a loss on your part. Heavy items, regardless of their value, such as radios, amplifiers, items in bulk, and other items, I'll only ship locally within the US. Smaller, lighter items, such as tubes, knobs, literature, etc., I have no problem shipping internationally.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 10:40 pm 

I have had people beg me to sell to them overseas, and even Canada. I won't. The risks shipping within the continental US are bad enough.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 1:38 pm 

Scott wrote:
I have had people beg me to sell to them overseas, and even Canada. I won't. The risks shipping within the continental US are bad enough.

+1. Too many people get burned on international sales. Not that foreign buyers are untrustworthy, but more foreign shippers are unreliable.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 8:56 pm 

Just stick to USA and Canada. It took me two losses to finally get the message. One Fraud, one shipping loss.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 12:02 am 

In answer to your post... CALL EBAY....
I call and I always get my money. The good old squeaky wheel theory.

I ship worldwide. Rarely have problems through eBay global. I NEVER ship privately.

:)

PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 4:18 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
rkoch17355 wrote:
/quote]
I thought this was common knowledge by now - eBay Global Shipping stops shipment of vacuum tubes at the US border. Yes, buyer gets a refund.

They do not ship the tube to the buyer.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 10:54 pm 

westcoastjohn wrote:
I thought this was common knowledge by now - eBay Global Shipping stops shipment of vacuum tubes at the US border. Yes, buyer gets a refund.

If that's the case, that would mean that none of the buyers from the the Asian audiophile market, and they buy "A LOT" of tubes, will ever be receiving their 300Bs, McIntosh amplifiers, Western Electric amps, and other vacuum tube goodies anytime in the future. Strange I'm not hearing much protest from that group.

Last edited by Indiana Radios on Oct Fri 01, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 10:55 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
westcoastjohn wrote:

If that's the case, that would mean that none of the buyers in the Asian audiophile market, and they buy a lot of tubes, will ever be receiving their 300Bs, McIntosh amplifiers, Western Electric amps, and other vacuum tube goodies anytime in the future. Strange I'm not hearing much protest from that group.

Only if the seller uses Global Shipping. Sending direct would have NP, at least AFA delivery to the foreign buyer.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 11:04 pm 

Sounds like you can't win either way. Your safe using Global Shipping but the tube will never get to the buyer and if you ship with another shipper, your not safe in shipping the tube but at least it can reach the foreign buyer. Might as well just sell tubes within the US border or reach some sort of agreement with the foreign buyer that the seller is no longer responsible if anything happens to the tube once it leaves the US border. Ebay just keeps getting to be more of a hassle every day.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next