Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 23, 2021 10:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Who in the hell pays $895,000, for a WATCH?
PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 4:05 am 

When I was in the hospital, my Casio Waveceptor wasn't getting charged, so I bought a Casio G-Shick for a hundred dollars in gift card. The most expensive watch I've had.

Even my TI LED watch in 1976 ot 77 was no more than forty (but until that TI watch, they were more expensive.

I have a gold pocket watch that belonged to my grandfather, but I suspect it's nothing special, not even when he got it.

They say the only time men wear watches nowadays is to show off something expensive. Otherwise, they don't bother with watches.. Can't be quite true, Casio and Timex are still in business.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 5:32 am 

Good dive watches like Rolex and Omega have always been a little pricey for the average guy, but since dive computers are so cheap, the mechanical movement watches are now pretty much worn as fashion.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 12:29 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Keeta wrote:
Not sure those of us in this hobby have any right to really complain much. How many here would be drooling just to get ahold of a Stratosphere, or a bluebird? Sure those aren't going as high as almost 900 grand, but most people would still look at any radio collector who has the cash, as being out of their minds to pay even a fraction of the price those two go for.

Don't get me wrong, if I had that kind of money to toss, you better believe I'd get one of those two if the opportunity arrived. :mrgreen:

What I'm getting at is....it's their money, if they want to blow it on something like that, let em.

Exactly !!

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 3:31 pm 

In answer to the original question, people with more money than brains.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 4:07 pm 

atwaterkent1 wrote:

I'm amazed at the depth of ... jealousy .... envy .... whatever, that people have for other people who are well off. At one time in 'murka, people who made good were looked up to and other people aspired to do the same. Over recent decades it seems that this "ambition to do the same and make good" has been replaced by an envy that is almost malicious.
As Mr. Masek said .... when rich people spend money buying "things", less wealthy people have a job supplying them.
Just because one group of people won't or can't conceive of spending $900k on a watch, doesn't mean the person who can and will is stupid.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 4:09 pm 

I think the point that the folks are missing who say that their cheap watch keeps the same time, is that a fine watch is more than a way to tell time. I am surprised that radio collectors do not understand this. It is not showing off as some folks here seem to think, well maybe for some buyers it is. But there are better ways to show off, most people can not tell a 10 dollar watch from a 10,000 dollar watch. A fine watch is one of the few things that I can purchase today and know that my son can wear it long after I have left the living. It has quality of workmanship that can not be found in any other manufactured product. One of my watches has a gear whose teeth are so small that they can not be seen without magnification. It is an appreciation of a machine. a tiny well built machine. If you can not understand this, remember that most of the public would toss into the trash the old radios that we love. As they said in the 1960s, "Different strokes for different folks."

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 4:11 pm 

atwaterkent1 wrote:

That is really an offensive comment.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 5:05 pm 

Mr. Highlander wrote:
Lol I wear a Timex indiglo. It tells the day and date. It is nice. It cost $25.00 as it was on discount. Wear it everyday. More accurate than my old Casio watch.
Amen. My Timex indiglo is VERY accurate.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 5:50 pm 

egg wrote:
One of their vintage pocket watches sold for 24 million some time back.

$24 million dollars is the most anyone has ever paid for a timepiece.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/arieladams ... t-auction/

Well, that is "timeless!!" :lol:

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 6:11 pm 

My cent. Sometimes I happen to look to a tv show, here in Italy, named "Chasing classic cars". In each episode, Mr. Wayne Carini retrieves one or two very classic cars and takes care of them in his workshop, until they are almost perfect under all respects, just like new. It is fascinating to me to see these fine (sometimes marveillous) or simply ancient pieces of technology that come back to life under the loving care of an enthusiast collector. Often an auction follows where sometimes these cars are sold at very high prices. I think it is good for me as a lover of old technology and design masterpieces that some people can afford buying them, thus supporting the effort of their preservation.
Regards
Daniele

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 7:23 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
I'm amazed at the depth of ... jealousy .... envy .... whatever, that people have for other people who are well off. At one time in 'murka, people who made good were looked up to and other people aspired to do the same.

That's not 100% true, John. It's important to remember that at one time in 'murka, "The Capitals of Industry" who were so looked up to, were also known as "The Robber Barrons" and were by turns despised. It is, and always has been, a matter of perception.

I think one reason Patek Philippe watches are so expensive is because they choose to operate at a different point on the Supply-Demand curve. Most companies (Timex, Seiko, Armitron) operate at a point on the curve where the supply is plentiful, which keeps prices low, which dictates the use of low-cost materials and high volume methods. Patek Philippe chooses to operate at a point where the demand is plentiful and the supply is low, which pushes the prices up very high. And they build a high quality product, nearly unconstrained in choice of materials and methods, to meet that market.

I really like complicated watches, and I certainly wouldn't sneeze if a Patek Philippe came my way!

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 12:39 am 

1914 Patek Philippe on the Antique Roadshow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMTAgh8WgsE

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 12:48 am 

palegreenthumb wrote:
I really like complicated watches, and I certainly wouldn't sneeze if a Patek Philippe came my way!

There are probably very few people such as yourself who would recognise this for what it is, but speaking for myself, while I understand why it is as valuable as it is, if I had seen it at a flea market I likely wouldn't know to give it more than a passing glance.
This is of course the same reason that valuable paintings end up in the hands of unknowing owners who put them in yard sales ... only to hear later that the person who bought them ended up with a fortune :)

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 2:36 am 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
Just think of all of the art, architecture and other things which make life so much nicer which would not exist if everyone had such an attitude. Thankfully, many of us appreciate the nice things that we humans have managed to make. What are you going to do with the money anyway, keep it in a vault? Burn it for heat? Spending it benefits both the buyer and the seller, and all of the others involved - a positive for everyone. Of course, someone who spends what they can't afford is acting foolishly, but it is obvious that most of the superior items are sold to people who can indeed afford them.

I've had time to learn a few things about radios, but know little about fine timepieces, so buying one would be more gamble than investment for me. Perhaps learning more about timepieces is something I can do when I stop working (at least full time) next year.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 3:01 am 

John Bartley wrote:
atwaterkent1 wrote:

I'm amazed at the depth of ... jealousy .... envy .... whatever, that people have for other people who are well off. At one time in 'murka, people who made good were looked up to and other people aspired to do the same. Over recent decades it seems that this "ambition to do the same and make good" has been replaced by an envy that is almost malicious.
As Mr. Masek said .... when rich people spend money buying "things", less wealthy people have a job supplying them.
Just because one group of people won't or can't conceive of spending $900k on a watch, doesn't mean the person who can and will is stupid.

John - I built a company and sold it when I retired, so its not about jealousy or envy of the well off at all, just common sense. I think of what else I could do with that amount of money, like donate it to a food bank to feed starving people or help out struggling families. I would feel ridiculous spending that much on a watch when I could do far more meaningful things with my money, which I do.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 3:13 am 

I wanted the Waltham pocket watch my Dad had. He loved it kept good time but he was rough on it have had at least two crystals put on it that I remember as a boy... My brother owns it, I'm sure it sits in a drawer. Waltham's are no more, only used examples, none seem to be the model my Dad had at any price.

So I said why not China Gotham pocket watch. They looked almost like my Dad's, I could not make up my mind... Then I got a small cell phone for free. Oops, a pocket watch!

Now all my other watches sit in the drawer, they are right twice a day :roll:

I would have liked to get the Accutron re-built that my father-in-law owned. I did refurbish his LED ruby faced digital. The one you press the button to see the red leds. No sooner I did that, my wife took it away from me. Never wore it, battery now flat, it sits in her drawer.

My still functioning watch is a Nelsonic LCD digital. I bought it in 1985. Badly beaten up plastic crystal cracked, but it works and still uses a 25 cent button battery...

Frankly, I don't like the look of the Patek Philippe or any watch that pretends to be a Swiss Army Knife of watches... You would think that for that money the case would be far more sophisticated to store it when not worn. Then again for the value, it would have to be stored in a vault..

IMHO, A quality pocket watch with a cover is my "fashion statement". Practical and accurate, silver for everyday and gold for when I am out on the town, now there is an eye-roll :roll:

My Swiss Army Knife is my obsolete iphone 5s...

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 1:29 pm 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
John - I built a company and sold it when I retired, so its not about jealousy or envy of the well off at all, just common sense. I think of what else I could do with that amount of money, like donate it to a food bank to feed starving people or help out struggling families. I would feel ridiculous spending that much on a watch when I could do far more meaningful things with my money, which I do.

Same here ..... exactly (and I still have some business irons in the fire) .... right up to the "feeling ridiculous" part. I don't think it's ridiculous at all if they can afford it. I also donate, and I am sure that the people who can afford a $1M watch donate in similar fashion to us, but because their asset pool is larger they donate (relatively) more $.

Saying that they are stupid ..... what does that achieve other than reveal more about the person saying it than it does about their target?

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 5:54 pm 

:roll:

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 7:20 pm 

My dad donated the Rolex anti-magnetic chronograph that he wore during WWII to a museum in recognition of the men that he served with in the US Army who were killed in action. My cousin, who is a watch collector, said that the Rolex was worth a considerable amount and I was amazed that it was in good condition as dad was wearing it when a 88 mm shell landed nearby and earned him another Purple Heart.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 8:04 pm 

Its not a watch you can wear everyday. Mostly a display piece.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 44 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next