Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 24, 2021 8:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stratosphere on Auction
PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 12:05 am 

I guess my feelings about high priced radios are... well... for example I REALLLYYY wanted a Zenith "Walton" for years. And then lo and behold, our museum got one. At first I was elated to see it. Eventually it just became another radio. Sort of "meh" I guess. The same would likely be true for me if somehow I were to come across a strat. Sure. Its really nice. But like all things it too would simply become just another radio. Except a very expensive radio. I guess that's just the way radios are with me. OTOH I have owned the same 1955 Mercury family car for 20 years. Still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it and it was only a $1200 car.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 12:52 am 

I collect the radios I like because of the radio itself, not the price tag. Some are expensive and some are relatively inexpensive. To me, each one is unique and I learn as much as I can about its history from the builder to who owned it last. Each one has a story.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 1:23 am 

well said Dan, Thank you :D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 4:20 am 

+1. I agree, Dan!

I know what you mean, Bob, about many radios becoming "just another radio." When that happens, I let that radio go. Still, I've managed to fill my house up with gorgeous radios I haven't gotten tired of. :shock:

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 4:42 am 

Thanks guys.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 1:31 am 

I wonder if the Nocturne's value will slip as well. Something tells me no, but then I have seen them in museums. So I think art/industrial/etc collectors are after those as well, not just radio collectors. I don't see that being a factor for the Zenith Strat.

Peter

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 3:04 am 

A lot of comments and opinions regarding this Stratosphere auction, and a lot of very good points have been made.

My humble opinion (and you know what they say about opinions) is that the Zenith Stratosphere should retain its value. Will the one that went is excess of $70K retain that value and be able to get it in resale? I don't know, but I would guess not. Maybe they will not bring much in excess of $30K in the future - who know?

Is the purchase of a Zenith Stratosphere a good investment? Probably not as you could most likely get a better return on your money in some other, more conventional., investment. So if you buy one of these things you can tell yourself it is a "good investment," and maybe it is but maybe it isn't.

If you are a radio collector, and a Zenith fan like me, you would like to have this set so you could enjoy seeing it, restoring it, playing it, displaying it prominently in your home, or some appropriate place. It is not bragging rights, but the joy of having something so striking and beautiful, the epitome of radio engineering at that time. I marvel at my E. H. Scott All Wave 23 in the beautiful Laureate Grande cabinet and proudly show it to other collectors who may never have seen one of these beauties.

I have the "other" Stratosphere, the 16A63 in my collection and I absolutely love that radio, and I think it CAN hold a candle to the big Stratosphere, but I really never give a thought as to whether this radio will hold its value or will appreciate. Might not have been a good investment, but it gives me pleasure and joy when I look at it or show it to other collectors who may never have seen one in the flesh.

I was the other bidder in the one that just sold and I tried to justify that it was a good investment, but I really wanted to get it for the reasons stated above. I just did not pull the trigger fast enough and I do regret that.

So the bottom line, at least for me, is that if it gives you pleasure (and is not illegal) go for it if you can. You can't take it with you and we are only on this earth for so long, so why not.

But again this is just one man's opinion and he has been wrong many times before! Happy collecting.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 1:27 am 

I think Jimmy paid $25,000 for his example, and as far as I know, that is the most recent prior sale. Yes, the power supply chassis had holes drilled into it, so there is the cost of having a new chassis made, and the nuisance of moving all of the parts to it.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 68 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4