Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 24, 2019 8:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: OK Climax Fans (Older Thread)
PostPosted: Jan Sun 12, 2014 12:27 am 

Here you go

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Art-Deco-Climax ... 20ddf98507

Last edited by jimzinnc on Dec Wed 24, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: OK Climax Fans
PostPosted: Jan Sun 12, 2014 12:55 am 

That does have some serious Streamline mojo, gotta admit.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 12, 2014 12:56 am 

One of the true, what I call "killer" looking sets! The knobs are incorrect - an easy fix. The price is crazy though. Way out of my league.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 12, 2014 5:13 am 

Yeah for not restored it seems high but who knows with this particular dial.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 12, 2014 5:24 am 

Boy, those deco Climax radios are hard to find. They must not have made very many.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 12, 2014 5:37 am 

I think I read at Paul's site that there were only 800 or so Emeralds made (with the more typical square diai) so who knows with this dial. Not many at all I bet.
Other models pop up every now and again like we saw in Discussions last month or so

PostPosted: Jan Sun 12, 2014 5:55 am 

I knew someone who had one with, I believe was the square Climax dial. What is surprising about the "Emerald" is that it's a fairly small little tabletop! It looks like a set you'd expect to be maybe $500+. To pay $2500+ for it, well, you'd have to REALLY want it! :shock:

PostPosted: Jan Sun 12, 2014 6:03 am 

^^Yeah size is deceptive. Same with those Setchell Carlson Jets. I always figured they were smallish till I handled one and they are way bigger than you figure,,about like holding a 5 year old kid! Well maybe a two year old.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 12, 2014 6:18 am 

jimzinnc wrote:
^^Yeah size is deceptive. Same with those Setchell Carlson Jets. I always figured they were smallish till I handled one and they are way bigger than you figure,,about like holding a 5 year old kid! Well maybe a two year old.

Haha - Your funny Jim :D I agree. I've been totally disappointed in the past with a set I thought I liked until I saw it in person. Either awkwardly big or too small. This is especially true with early vintage TV's. Even the 7 incher's often have awkwardly deep cabinets that surprise you if you've never seen them before.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 12, 2014 2:20 pm 

I bought mine at Elgin a year or two before that show moved. So 10+ years ago? A friend and I showed up rather late, the show had been going for awhile (we drove from Indianapolis). In a pile of junk radios was a Climax Emerald, painted white. It looked terrible. I picked it up, asked the guy how much he wanted, $140. I handed it over without question. As the money was changing hands, someone yelled across the parking lot "how much for that radio in that guy's hands?" -- but the deal was done (and it's terribly tacky to do something like that anyway).

Later I realized why someone painted it white -- the veneer had been belt sanded or something, and the radio was half veneer, half underlayment. I ended up re-veneering it, and it looked ok for about 8 years, but a bubble has developed on the curve (drat!), so I'll either be living with that, or redoing it. I won't be using that brand of contact cement ever again, though. Whatta pain.

Somewhere along the way I found one of the square dial Emeralds as well. They're much more common. I've also got a half dozen other radios with that same dial, so there were other variations as well.

At any rate, I'd suspect at $1500 this radio would disappear quickly. The current price seems a bit too high.

Peter

PostPosted: Jan Sun 12, 2014 2:30 pm 

^^Good story about how you found yours. They are curious radios..not just the Emerald model but all of them. Even more curious is the near mystery around the relationships between Climax...Silver and General Television. Somewhere there was a factory that built them all and slapped different labels on em and away they went. Probably half a dozen other tags on some like Aetna etc etc. But the most active I suspect were Climax Silver and GT.(with some models) until Gen Tel and Climax actually joined together later. Ive read just about all the threads here on the subject and I always get the idea that somehow the Silver and GT sets are somehow "less than" the big deal Climax branded sets even tho the same hands most likely built them all. In other words Id be just as happy to find a Silber branded set that is a crossover model of some Climax.
This is what I mean. Many of these show up labeled Climax. I suggest they are the same

http://www.radiomuseum.org/m/silver-mfg_usa_en_1.html

PostPosted: Dec Tue 23, 2014 10:51 pm 

I have a Climax Emerald with the square dial. I've heard it is a 1938 and the oval dial is the 1937 model. I've also seen some of the same models with the tuning eye over the fins and speaker and some have it at the top in between the speaker and the dial. I was lucky when I got mine. I found it at an antique mall here in Topeka KS for $57.00. It had a cracked fin and a small chunk out of the top back corner. It still needs some work but it looks GREAT! Mine has a schematic on the bottom that says it is a model AD. My chassis tag starts with a "CX", too.
My question is, does the placement of the tuning eye mean it was made by someone else? Also, the Climax AD schematic does not show the tuning eye tube.

Attachments:
File comment: My Climax when I got it.
Climax AD Front.jpg
Climax AD Front.jpg [ 98.74 KiB | Viewed 1744 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Tue 23, 2014 11:19 pm 

Nice find. I find them both ways but more common with eyetube just right of fins. Radio Attic has an example and also here

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jkozar/ar127.html

Edit and add another

http://www.primeaumusic.com/browse/35-F ... Wood-Radio

Im leaning toward it was something Climax did with some examples but I have no idea what the reasoning might have been.
If it were something done by owners after the fact I sure cant find any examples of the model without an eyetube.
They all seem to have the same brass escutcheon and are all placed in the exact same spot so my bet is it was something Climax did.
But you might ask either Paul Sanders or Peter...both members here and see if they know for sure.

Post subject: Re: OK Climax Fans (Older Thread)
PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 2:47 pm 

I don't know much about the square dial ones with/without eye tubes, but I suspect that at least some of the oval-dialed ones had eye tubes added in after purchase by the owner.
In at least one case, there was an oval-dialed version for sale recently on Radio Attic by Paul Sanders (I think) that had an eye tube escutcheon midway between the dial and the speaker louvers, where it usually is on the horizontal plane. I'm pretty sure it was added later as the escutcheon is poorly placed. Way too high on the front of the radio, so that the escutcheon actually clears the top of the set. Yikes! I have seen a few others in pix and they all seem to be in slightly different locations, which leads me to believe that at least some were added later. Also if you look at the schematic, the eye tube circuit is drawn in in dotted lines .... possibly so a future owner can add one?
Anyway, I'm wondering for myself whether or not these after-market eyes hurt the value of the set? People seem to love eyes, but they also love originality. I was recently torturing myself with the idea of adding one to mine, which I have wanted for a while and plan to keep. I'm not going to do it anyway, and would never even consider it if it wasn't historically appropriate. But in this case, it looks like it was common practice with this particular set. Any thoughts?
Below is a photo of the one mentioned above with a poorly placed eye which can't have been factory, I don't think. The ad has since been pulled.

Attachments:
IMG_2532.JPG
IMG_2532.JPG [ 14.02 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]