Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sat 04, 2020 2:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mystery Wells Gardner console (Milwaukee Craigslist)
PostPosted: Mar Wed 01, 2017 5:47 am 

This ad popped up on Craigslist today: https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/atq/6023374006.html

Nice looking set, I thought. That cabinet looks 1935-ish but somehow the dial looks like it should be a couple of years newer. The seller identified the set as a 7LL673 (8 tubes) but the photos of that model found online did not match the cabinet or escutcheon of the set in the ad. The seller provided some supplemental photos that show this to be an 11 tube set and the tube layout matches that of the Wells Gardner model OEL, yet the dial looks different than photos found of that model.

To complicate matters, it slowly dawned on me that I was attracted to the cabinet in the CL ad for a reason. That cabinet is a perfect match (except for mapping of the control shaft and dial openings) for the cabinet housing my beloved Fairbanks-Morse #100 console. It's like discovering that your wife has a twin!

Did Wells Gardner and Fairbanks-Morse share cabinet manufacturers? I wondered if someone had retrofitted a FM cabinet but the holes for the controls look original. On the other hand, the cabinet in the CL ad shows a speaker shelf (unused) that IS used to hold the speaker in the FM 100 cabinet.

I'm including a photo of the Wells Gardner from the CL ad, as well as a photo of my FM 100. Any Wells Gardner experts out there who can ID this thing that's for sale?

Attachments:
Wells Gardner cabinet.jpg
Wells Gardner cabinet.jpg [ 57.85 KiB | Viewed 1779 times ]
FM 100 cabinet.jpg
FM 100 cabinet.jpg [ 37.89 KiB | Viewed 1779 times ]

Last edited by k9uw on Mar Thu 02, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mystery Wells Gardner console (Milwaukee Craigslist)
PostPosted: Mar Wed 01, 2017 5:53 am 

The ID label inside the cabinet clearly ID's the cabinet as a Fairbanks Morse. I've never heard of Fairbanks Morse ever using a Wells Gardiner chassis. I suspect it's a frankinradio and a well done one at that.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 01, 2017 2:11 pm 

That definitely looks like a Wells-Gardner chassis from around 1937. Several possibilities here. It might have been an early production run that used up a remaining stock of cabinets. Or, it could have been someone who bought a newer chassis to upgrade a set they already had. If memory serves me correct, WG also sold radio chassis by themselves as well as complete sets. A third possibility could be it was assembled by a local business from cabinets and chassis they had ordered from WG at different times. It wasn't unheard of for furniture stores to do this.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Mar Thu 02, 2017 12:34 am 

OEM? are you sure its not OEL?
I recall seeing in Riders manual that the OEL was available in 4 different dial configurations. This one being one of them.

Interesting how the cabinets are identical, but I've seen similar things such as a Wells Gardner teledial type radio in Sparton cabinets. They may have bought surplus cabinets from FM.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=251321

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Mar Thu 02, 2017 1:29 am 

azenithnut wrote:
OEM? are you sure its not OEL?
I recall seeing in Riders manual that the OEL was available in 4 different dial configurations. This one being one of them.

Interesting how the cabinets are identical, but I've seen similar things such as a Wells Gardner teledial type radio in Sparton cabinets. They may have bought surplus cabinets from FM.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=251321

-Steve

Quite right, Steve. I had "OEL" in front of me but typed "OEM" Must have had Original Equipment Manufacturer in my head at the time. The original post has been corrected.

As for the dial options, that came to light this morning when I located the schematics for the OEL model on NostalgiaAir (last page).

Thanks for the help!