Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 06, 2019 11:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ever had this happen on an ebay buy?
PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 6:06 pm 

About a year ago, a seller had an Archer FM tube tuner for sale. $5 starting bid. I bid days before the auction ran out and no one bid against me - and I won. I paid right away. Two weeks go by with no shipping date confirmation. When I messaged the seller if they had sent it, they promptly refunded my money. But here's the sh**ter - I was unable to leave any feedback about the transaction. I guess they figured $5 was not enough for it and didn't want to give it to me.

Post subject: Re: Ever had this happen on an ebay buy?
PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 7:53 pm 

not quite like that.
As a seller I would honor that bid. In the early days, anyone who sniped my auctions at the last second
to get a .99 cent price or whatever the start is, the item "gets broken" during packing.
I'm not into eBay sniping, nor will I support that as a seller.
So now, I start the auction price where I need to break even, or a bit under.

eBay should start a policy to extend an auction if any bids come in during the last 15 seconds, extend another 15 seconds.
This would be better for the seller as he may be able to get more bids, or if a bid war starts up.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 8:17 pm 

glue_ru wrote:
n'm not into eBay sniping, nor will I support that as a seller.
Why not? That is absolutely legal under evilpay's rules.
If you don't honor that bid, YOU are breaking the rules,

An auction is open until it closes.

Back when I used that site (I don't any more) I won almost 2,000 auctions.
Every one was bid in the last 2 seconds, and every one was the highest bid.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 8:31 pm 

I agree with Leigh and mgrant. The end bid probably wasn't high enough for the seller though they should have shipped it.

Anymore when the seller refunds your money "through the transaction" they do indeed take your option of leaving feed back away which isn't right to do.

As for auctions whether it be a estate or E-bay auction the end is the end, Though it might help the seller with a timed auction except that could go on half the night.

Kent.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 8:34 pm 

Well, I guess sniping is part of the game. In the 'old' days, I used to do that, but now I just put in a bid with a top end of what I want to pay for it. If someone else wants to snipe and pay more - let 'em have it.
I think what happened with the Archer FM tuner is the seller realized after the listing that it was worth more than 5 bucks and unfortunately I was the only bidder. I think I put a $50 top end on my bid.
I don't buy radios on ebay anymore. Too many bad experiences. Probably 80% are damaged in some way - a few were totally smashed into pieces.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 8:47 pm 

glue_ru wrote:
As a seller I would honor that bid. In the early days, anyone who sniped my auctions at the last second
to get a .99 cent price or whatever the start is, the item "gets broken" during packing.

So you vandalize the purchasers property because you made a mistake?

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 10:19 pm 

like it or not, it's not that appalling, I'm not taking a severe loss on a item. but I learned quickly and just started the listing price where it needed to be.
That was 9 yrs ago, not since. The item was a $40 Erickson glass ashtray, not going for .99 cents, no way.
Its the 2 second snipe I don't' like, and good or bad, it costs the seller in less cash on the sale. Sometimes your 'max' bid would be higher
if given the chance, just like any real auction, it doesn't stop until the bids stop. eBay should follow suit.
I generally only go for buy it now and avoid the whole thing.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 10:44 pm 

A lot of the sellers who start bidding at 99 cents (supposedly, to save on listing fees) make up for it by charging a set amount for shipping, like $35 for a 6 pound item.

The sellers who fail to ship an item, for legitimate reasons or not, are risking negative feedback if the same buyer buys again; as soon as he pays he can leave feedback. The seller would have to block him after the first transaction.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 10:46 pm 

glue_ru wrote:
Sometimes your 'max' bid would be higher
My MAX is always at least five times the current high bid, higher if I really want it.
That's why I never lost an auction, since nobody else has balls enough to bid that high.

By bidding in the last 2 seconds, nobody has a chance to outbid me.

If the selling price is too low, the seller set the starting price or reserve too low.
The fact that the seller doesn't know how to list an item is not my fault.

- Leigh

Last edited by Leigh on Nov Mon 20, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 10:47 pm 

glue_ru wrote:
eBay should start a policy to extend an auction if any bids come in during the last 15 seconds, extend another 15 seconds.
This would be better for the seller as he may be able to get more bids, or if a bid war starts up.

GunBroker does this, or at least they used to. If a bid showed up in the last few minutes of an auction, the auction would get extended by a few more minutes.

I've never been a fan of sniping. Although it's not against eBay's rules, ethically it falls into a gray area. The construct of a live auction doesn't allow for someone to throw in a bid as the auctioneer's hammer is coming down without giving anyone else the chance to bid again on the item.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 10:52 pm 

zenith82 wrote:
ethically it falls into a gray area.
No it doesn't.

Rules don't depend on whether or not you approve of them.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 11:11 pm 

Johnnysan wrote:
The sellers who fail to ship an item, for legitimate reasons or not, are risking negative feedback if the same buyer buys again; as soon as he pays he can leave feedback. The seller would have to block him after the first transaction.

Yeah, like I would buy another item from the same A-Hole just to give negative feedback, plus it's unethical to leave bad feedback until the item is received (or not received). Something I was unable to do (thanks to ebay).

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 11:22 pm 

zenith82 wrote:
glue_ru wrote:

GunBroker does this, or at least they used to. If a bid showed up in the last few minutes of an auction, the auction would get extended by a few more minutes.

Isn't this the way REAL auctions works ? Of course this would preclude any sniping and favor bid wars. The end result would be higher closing bids (good for the seller and eBay) and the auctioned item would actually go to the bidder willing to pay the highest price for it (as in real live auctions).
Strange that eBay didn't considered this option so far, but maybe we shouldn't give them too much (bad ?) ideas.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 11:59 pm 

I like the way eBay auctions have a fixed end time; you know precisely when you have to be in front of your monitor. If auctions kept extending indefinitely you could potentially spend hours just staring at a screen; I have better things to do with my time. If bidders go past my limit I just delete the watched item and move on.
I have been to live auctions and to be honest, there's lots of idiots who just keep bidding as if they won the lottery (and they didn't even bother to inspect what they are bidding on). Not for me.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 12:14 am 

Just my opinion, but if a seller lists an item at 99 cents, and doesn't have a reserve price set, he or she can't complain if the item sells for that opening bid. You can't penalize the winning bidder because you wanted to save on fees.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 12:21 am 

How does extending the auction "solve" anything? Seven days is plenty of time to put in a bid. It's the same amount of time for every bidder. The auction goes to the highest bidder, not the lastest.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 12:41 am 

glue_ru wrote:
not quite like that.
I'm not into eBay sniping, nor will I support that as a seller.

Sorry partner, but I think that approach stinks, and I've personally been a victim of it.
Seller offered an RCA Bakelite table set at $5 opening bid, missing some cosmetic parts. I found an ARF member who had the parts, so bid and won. IDK remember if I sniped, as I normally do, as I like the thrill, but regardless, won the auction.
The next thing I know, he sends me a picture of it with the top smashed in and tells me his father in law fell through the ceiling, and landed on it... :roll:
You can't penalize a buyer because your anticipation of what the market support for the item should have been, in your opinion, but didn't turn out that way.

zenith82 wrote:

I've never been a fan of sniping. Although it's not against eBay's rules, ethically it falls into a gray area. The construct of a live auction doesn't allow for someone to throw in a bid as the auctioneer's hammer is coming down without giving anyone else the chance to bid again on the item.

You're missing it here. The construct of a live auction allows bidders to inspect the item in person before ever bidding. Not so in an on-line auction, but that take-away is compensated for, purposely or not, by eBay, in allowing sniping. Ain't no grey about it. Now that said, there are sites that do extend the end time after each bid beyond the first end time. I don't ever see eBay changing to that though, in that their overall policy favors buyers.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 12:50 am 

Leigh wrote:
glue_ru wrote:
Sometimes your 'max' bid would be higher
My MAX is always at least five times the current high bid, higher if I really want it.
That's why I never lost an auction, since nobody else has balls enough to bid that high.

By bidding in the last 2 seconds, nobody has a chance to outbid me.

- Leigh

... till there's another clever bidder using the same "brute force strategy" and wanting the same item. Then you'll end up overpaying the item, or missing it (which is better,IMO). I've already tried this and it worked: I won (read: lost)
But for most of us (those with somewhat limited funds), the goal is not only to win the item, but also to get it at a reasonable price. And "sniping" could help reaching these goals.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 1:01 am 

If it didnt get any bids till the end and the only bid was the opening bid then nobody wanted except for the one buyer. Snipers can get sniped. On a popular item you could have any number of bids in the last 5 seconds. The sniper who has the largest bid will win. If you dont like it take it to an auction house where they will charge 30% plus a buyers surcharge as well. The only auction house aound me does that. Seller pays 30% buyer pays 10% plus taxes. Which is why you never will see me down there. If a seller dosnt like the possibility of losing money do a buy it now. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 1:11 am 

Tubologic wrote:
Then you'll end up overpaying the item, or missing it (which is better,IMO). I've already tried this and it worked: I won (read: lost)
Of course that's possible, but it never happened to me in almost 2000 wins.

I saw it happen on a radio I was watching but not bidding on. Two bidders both used my tactic. The "winner" paid over $400 for an ordinary AA5 that was worth maybe $40.

- Leigh

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 34 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next