Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 27, 2019 11:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Is eBay Eliminating Last-second Bidding?
PostPosted: Dec Sun 02, 2018 3:32 am 

I just went on eBay to place a bid on an item and the format has changed. I had to enter a bid and hit Continue; the next page said Confirm Bid. There was no countdown by the second to the end of the bidding; I only got a message that my bid was not high enough. Is eBay cracking down on last second bidding? I don't use Snipe so I couldn't say if that works or not. Is this another ploy to get bidders to bid higher?

Post subject: Re: Is eBay Eliminating Last-second Bidding?
PostPosted: Dec Sun 02, 2018 3:36 am 

Back when I used the bay (many years ago), I kept two windows open, one with the pending bid and the other with the sale and countdown clock.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Dec Sun 02, 2018 3:42 am 

Use a sniping service. Bid once, and be done. No having to schedule/wait/ponder/enter higher bids. Just enter your max bid, and let the service win it for you.

Back when I was buying on eBay, I also traveled 2.5 days per business week, so I had to use a sniping service, as I certainly couldn't bid and drive....

Note: there are many sniping services - I'm sure they are pretty much all alike. esnipe is the one I used with a considerable amount of success.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 02, 2018 6:22 am 

I haven't had any problems bidding with but a few seconds to go. Just did it (and got outbid) two days ago, in fact.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 02, 2018 6:24 am 

I think you got that message because a snipe bid came in while you were trying to bid. The snipe was likely higher than what you were attempting to bid, or your bid wasn't high enough compared to that snipe bid based on the minimum bid increment. For instance, you try to bid 50.01 after the snipe bid came in at 50.00 - you would need to likely bid 51.00 to be allowed to outbid them.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 02, 2018 2:25 pm 

Johnnysan wrote:
I had to enter a bid and hit Continue; the next page said Confirm Bid.

I've been having to do that procedure for years.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 02, 2018 2:48 pm 

I still see the countdown timer. Do you have something on your computer blocking it?

Attachment:
dgh.jpg
dgh.jpg [ 58.18 KiB | Viewed 1316 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sun 02, 2018 4:15 pm 

Yup,
It is working for me!
I won something last night with the timer showing and 4 seconds left :twisted: :twisted:

:)

PostPosted: Dec Sun 02, 2018 4:36 pm 

I just went to one auction and it seems to be back to normal, in other words, the window with the 3 bid amounts and the space for your selected bid. eBay may be experimenting with something new, which usually means another disaster in the making.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 14, 2018 10:46 pm 

The timer works ok for me,but sometimes it takes a few seconds for their system to catch up. I've had their site tell me I lost to someone else's bid,only to find out seconds later I won. One time a sale was coming to an end. I entered my bid, which was the same price as the "buy it now" price. Big mistake. With only seconds left their system rejected my bid,sending back the Why don't you select the "Buy it now" option. I lost my bid,even though it was the same amount. Just goes to show their software isn't perfect. But I probably shouldn't have waited to the last second anyway. Unfortunately ut was a radio I really wanted. :cry:

PostPosted: Dec Sat 15, 2018 2:06 am 

Johnnysan wrote:
I just went to one auction and it seems to be back to normal, in other words, the window with the 3 bid amounts and the space for your selected bid. eBay may be experimenting with something new, which usually means another disaster in the making.

I had the same experience with an auction the other day in the final few seconds when I entered my bit and hit continue. I got a different type of pop-up window than I was used to seeing and it caused me to lose the item because I ran out of time before I could figure out what it wanted me to do. I've since bid the same way on other auctions and have not had that strange encounter again.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 15, 2018 5:09 am 

It happened again yesterday to me; I had to bid more than I normally would in an attempt to win the auction (I did). I think eBay is experimenting in getting buyers to bid more; can't think of any other explanation. This will drive me away from items I don't really have to have. Maybe another classic example of eBay shooting themselves in the foot. Not the 1st time, and it won't be the last.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 18, 2018 1:58 am 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
Use a sniping service. Bid once, and be done. No having to schedule/wait/ponder/enter higher bids. Just enter your max bid, and let the service win it for you.

I don't understand the need for sniping service. I have never used it, so I need some 'illuminating' on sniping.

If I decide that $75 is all that I want to pay for a certain radio and I bid $75 well before the auction ends, what can a sniping service do to help me win the bid?

PostPosted: Dec Tue 18, 2018 7:06 am 

KnobDial wrote:
Findm-Keepm wrote:

I don't understand the need for sniping service. I have never used it, so I need some 'illuminating' on sniping.

If I decide that $75 is all that I want to pay for a certain radio and I bid $75 well before the auction ends, what can a sniping service do to help me win the bid?

I snipe by myself 99% of the time.

Recently I wasn't going to be near my desktop when a particular auction ended early in the morning, so I bid the night before, and was the top bidder at I think $31, with my hidden reserve at $81. Now if I had bid with 5 seconds to go, I most likely would have won at that price. However, the person I outbid then later laddered me up, two bucks at a time, to $79 before he quit. I've never used a sniping service either, preferring the thrill of the last second bid, but in that case, it woulda come in handy. Then again, only the second time in 20 years that that's happened.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 18, 2018 7:25 am 

KnobDial wrote:

Not much. The simple fact is that whoever bids more is going to win the item, regardless of how the bid is entered.

Most people use sniping servers because they prefer a clandestine approach to bidding, and sniping at the last second (or 2 or 3) won't show one's hand. They also like to try to keep bids as low as possible until the very last few seconds, then it's a sniping war.

If I want an item and see a bidder is going to win it with say 6-7 seconds to go and all I [probably] have to do to get it is go the next increment above what I originally decided was my max, I would be tempted to go for it and win, after waiting so long for the auction to end and risking not seeing another one like it for a long time, possibly many years.

Snipers obviously are hoping everyone else has set a max lower than theirs. A lot of people who use sniping services will set theirs up days in advance and not even bother to watch the auction, just let the thing slip their bid in on the last 2-3 seconds. Obviously, with this lackadaisical attitude, it won't bother them much if it turned out they got beat by a small amount of money; they set their max and that's that, no budging, no caring.

Personally, I prefer to be involved, rather than "set it and forget it", so I login and watch the countdown. It's more fun for me. If I really want the item and it looks like nobody is going to bump the bid up in the last few seconds, I'll do so, and often win. I think sniping servers are especially popular among business owners (resellers), since they can't really watch tons of auctions at the same time, but the server can bid on all those auctions at the same time if need be.

An alternative to sniping services is eBay's proxy auto-bidder, but the problem there is, it bids continuously up to your max, it doesn't wait till near the auction end, so you definitely show your cards by using it.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 18, 2018 9:21 am 

The thing about auctions is that people invest all kinds of weird energy into an auction, commonly known as 'getting carried away.'

There's a well-known sales tactic in selling sail boats called "Two foot-itis." A prospective buyer comes in looking for an 18-foot day-sailer, and the sales guy slowly sells them on the benefits of a 20-footer. So the buyer leaves, pondering all the great things a 20-foot boat can do that an 18-footer can't. The next time the buyer comes in, they've sold themselves on a 20-foot boat. Now the sales guy starts talking up all the great things about the 22-footers, that a 20-foot boat simply can't do. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It's the same way with eBay auctions. You're bidding against a person who thinks they're willing to pay up to $100 for this radio. You know you're willing to go to $150. If you put your $150 bid out there early, then when they put in their $100 bid, they are instantly over-bid. Oh, too bad, thanks for playing.

But now they have 5 days to think about it, and eventually they decide, well, obviously, they were wrong about their $100 valuation, because someone wants it more than that. They only have to bid $105 to get a 2nd shot at it. So they try it. Oop, outbid again. Darn. Think about it some more. Do they want to try $110? It's only $10 more than they were thinking originally. Not gonna break the bank. Maybe $120 would lock it in?

By the end of the week, they may have nibbled themselves all the way up to and over your max bid of $150. Now it's your turn... How bad do you really want it? Is it worth $160 to you?

You can avoid all that if you put your bid in so close to the final bell, that no-one has a chance to react. The guy who put in his $100 bid gets over-bid at $102.50, and that's where the auction ends. You just saved at least $52, by not giving him time to ponder. $52 is a whole 'nuther radio.

Proxibid and other auction sites have a scheme that skirts the final bell effect, and makes an online auction much more like a live auction. It's called the 2-minute extension. An auction doesn't close until it's gone 2 minutes with no bids. I actually like those auctions a lot. It doesn't give you 5 days to mull it over, but at the same time it eliminates the benefit of sniping. Most of the action happens near the end of the auction, but you are assured of the chance to respond, so you don't have to rely on a dubious proxy auto-bidder.

Back to the original topic, I just live-sniped an auction yesterday, and it worked the way it always has. I suggest first upgrading your browser to be sure you have the latest version, then log out of eBay, clear all your cookies, cache and history, and log back into eBay. It could simply be that eBay has some weird stuff cached on your machine that's causing the odd behavior. I've experienced that with eBay in the past, and cleaning things up usually helps.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 18, 2018 7:46 pm 

palegreenthumb wrote:

Proxibid and other auction sites have a scheme that skirts the final bell effect, and makes an online auction much more like a live auction. It's called the 2-minute extension. An auction doesn't close until it's gone 2 minutes with no bids. I actually like those auctions a lot. It doesn't give you 5 days to mull it over, but at the same time it eliminates the benefit of sniping.

And conversely, as a sniper, I don't like Proxibid. I had one instance on another collecting website with a 2 or 3 minute extension for final bids where I had to go toe to toe with another maniac like myself, and it cost me dearly to eventually become the winner.
It was worth it though.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 18, 2018 7:57 pm 

I don't understand why anyone would 'like' something that will frequently make what you're buying wind up being more expensive than it otherwise might. When I'm bidding on something on evilBay, I'm doing so because I want the item, not for fun or excitement. In light of that, as a buyer, I want to pay as little as possible for that item. Sniping is the best way to do this, as it doesn't give those incremental bidders time to jack up the price trying to outbid you. You may still be outbid, but it won't be 'death by a thousand cuts' as someone ratchets their bid up over and over again by a dollar or two.

-Pat

PostPosted: Dec Tue 18, 2018 10:11 pm 

When you're watching eBay for a particular item the decision to engage a strategy pretty much depends upon what the item is doesn't it? What if something you've been searching hard for years appears and you know you can't let it get away?

PostPosted: Dec Wed 19, 2018 12:16 am 

Greg G wrote:
What if something you've been searching hard for years appears and you know you can't let it get away?

Then you bid really high and pray your pockets are deeper than the rest. An insanely high bid placed early on will still win, unless the other people involved are crazier. :lol:

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 65 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next