Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Thu 25, 2019 12:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Where’s The Best Place To Sell a Tube Radio Nowadays?
PostPosted: Dec Wed 05, 2018 1:56 am 

Seems ebay has been the go-to place for quite a while. I wondered, with all things considered (high fees, audience of potential buyers, likelihood of making a sale in a week or so, etc), is there another venue ( with auctions OR fixed price listings) that’s consistently more advantageous to the seller of fine restored tube sets?

Post subject: Re: Where’s The Best Place To Sell a Tube Radio Nowadays?
PostPosted: Dec Wed 05, 2018 2:35 am 

If you want the fastest sale at the highest price then Ebay is your best choice. You can also try selling in the classifieds on the forum here. Be realistic on pricing though. Common radios, even restored, usually sell for less than most restorers were hoping for. The rare and in demand radios will go for top dollar usually, depending on the overall condition. There's always Craigslist too. In addition there are the antique radio shows sponsored by radio clubs, they usually don't have many "fine" radios though from what I've seen.

I know just enough to be dangerous...
(Member - MARC, Antique Wireless Assoc., Radio Museum)

PostPosted: Dec Wed 05, 2018 3:00 am 

Depends on the "rarity" of the radio. The size of it matters too, consoles and large heavy table sets are difficult to ship without risking damage.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 05, 2018 3:16 am 

bullseyeguyz wrote:
Depends on the "rarity" of the radio. The size of it matters too, consoles and large heavy table sets are difficult to ship without risking damage.

+1

I know just enough to be dangerous...
(Member - MARC, Antique Wireless Assoc., Radio Museum)

PostPosted: Dec Wed 05, 2018 5:30 am 

bullseyeguyz wrote:

Not really. I've had three consoles sent to me from the east coast, with no damage whatsoever. Greyhound was the transportation method.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 05, 2018 2:24 pm 

If you are selling restored radios and don't mind dealing with shipping then check out The Radio Attic. I used to sell my restored radios at a local antique mall on commission. I always made decent money and never had to deal with shipping or buyers. I simply dropped them off and collected a check when they sold, which was usually within a month. I would figured out what I wanted to get out of the radio and then factor in the 30% commission on top of that, so I always walked away making a profit.

If it can safely be done, consider adding an AUX input or Bluetooth to the restored radios that you are selling. A restored radio is much more valuable to the Average Joe if they can listen to their own music through it.

Also do a quality restoration and offer a warranty. I've had several radios brought to me that were purchased on eBay or other venues as "restored. What I usually found was a hacked repair job and a poorly performing radio (if it even worked at all). My customers never purchased anything from those sellers again. I always strive to do the best job possible and stand behind my work, and as a result much of my business is from repeat customers.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 05, 2018 3:12 pm 

I find that the only way to have a chance to get decent money on a set is when you are a well known dealer/repairman who networks with many collectors. They often can directly notify perspective buyers about a set and they also have a good amount of "traffic" with people coming and going. I have the chance with someone local like that to sell a set through him, although I haven't tried it yet. You might try that with a local collector/dealer.
It seems that if you want to sell common sets fairly quickly you have to offer them at low prices. That's the only way it'll get attention. If you try to sell say a common mid-30's tombstone, even in excellent condition and working, at $250-$300 or so, you're likely going to go no where with it on eBay and especially CL. Put it at $125 or so and maybe you'll have chance. That's why I dread selling these days. I have common sets often with $350-$450+ into them that'll I'll be lucky to get a 1/4 of that back.
Another tip I learned is presentation. Pictures that "pop". If you take very good thurough pictures of a set highlighting them to their best advantage, it will often make a common set appear to be very impressive, especially with typical bakelite sets.
Bottom line is unless you have rare and highly desirable sets, your going to take bath with them, so to speak, when it comes to profit.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 2:21 am 

I have to agree, that when all is said and done with pulling the chassis, recapping, polishing / refinishing the cabinet, ordering lost parts, troubleshooting time, not to mention packing materials etc, where time becomes money, there’s little left on the bone for profit in this hobby. Profit and hobby rarely mix. I’m still amazed, though, to see those occasional wacky puke green swirl painted sets soar up past $500 on eBay. Guess there’s no accounting for taste and two deep pocket fools duking it out in the closing seconds.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 15, 2018 6:49 pm 

I like Radio Attic for buying and selling.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 3:35 pm 

Some areas of the Country will do good on local sales, others not so good.
I have a hard time giving sets away in my area as it is pretty well saturated.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 3:43 pm 

Facebook Marketplace is very active, and without the pitfalls of eBay & Paypal.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 20, 2018 7:37 pm 

If you want to deal with shipping - then ebay seems to have the most traffic. When I sell something - it is usually something I did not restore yet, and I have 2 of them. I will usually test to see what would need to be done. I find most people want unrestored stuff anyway to work on themselves. I really would rather not sell to someone who knew nothing about electronics safety unless they just wanted it for display. And anyway - If you are really spending time restoring - generally speaking you will not get your money back.