Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Thu 25, 2019 11:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: updating or adding info to ebay ad
PostPosted: Dec Sat 08, 2018 8:49 pm 

I'm going nuts :evil: . Trying to add info to an ebay auction ad I put up that ends on the 16th. Has a few bids already so it won't let me change description which is ok, but when I try to add to description it refuses to accept it because it says I changed the return policy. I did not change the return policy. Finally called the cust serv # and some woman had no idea why and told me to add a note instead. Did that, but notes are just for me, nobody else can see them. The cust serv rep obviously has no idea how ebay works. Any ideas on how to add to an ebay description?

Post subject: Re: updating or adding info to ebay ad
PostPosted: Dec Sat 08, 2018 9:39 pm 

I'm pretty sure you can't change anything after the first bid. About the only way to modify the description would be to cancel and re-list, but you might not retain the current bidders. If the info you want to add is significant, it may be worth the risk.

Dan

PostPosted: Dec Sat 08, 2018 10:27 pm 

You should be able to add information after the first bid. I've seen listings where seller added info or answered a question after bidding started.

Larry

PostPosted: Dec Sat 08, 2018 10:54 pm 

They wouldn't allow any changes even though I met all the criteria according to all their rules. Even the customer service gal said I should be able to add information. Tried to answer a question and make it public and they wouldn't allow that either so I had no choice but to end it early. Sorry if I ticked anybody off. Wasted several hours of mine trying to deal with that outfit.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 09, 2018 12:09 am 

Just pull it, correct and relist.

There was an error in the listing.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/pages/help/sell/ ... t-now.html

Greg

PostPosted: Dec Sun 09, 2018 12:42 am 

Once a bid is made you can't make any changes to a listing. This is one thing that makes sense with eBay; if they didn't, unscrupulous sellers would be making lots of changes and buyers would be screwed.
This is why you need to be very careful about listings and make sure all the wording and photos are correct; I got into the habit of looking at listings right after I was done. It's very easy to make mistakes like 'Free Shipping' or 'Medium Flat Rate Box shipping' when you don't want to, especially if you use the Sell Similar or the Template features.
Recently eBay lost some photos, never to be recovered; you might check on that also. I never remove photos from my computer unless the item has been sold months ago.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 09, 2018 1:06 am 

See https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silvertone-antique-tube-radio-4722-wood-cabinet-mini-tombstone-console-style/254009584279

This seller added the following information two days ago:

"On Dec-06-18 at 20:22:54 PST, seller added the following information:
I forgot mentioned dimension of the radio, 12"H x 11"W x 8 3/4"D with knobs"

The first bid was on Dec 3rd. Are you saying eBay just changed this long standing feature for answering a question or adding info since Dec 6th??

PostPosted: Dec Sun 09, 2018 3:11 am 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listi ... ng?id=4356

PostPosted: Dec Mon 10, 2018 12:06 am 

Vin Tageman wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/revising-listing?id=4356

I read all that and I should have been able to add to description. My auction had 8 days remaining with 3 bids. All I wanted to do was "add to description". Not that this has anything to do with it, but ebay has another glitch if you elect to print postage paid on a shipping label. I shipped a guy an item for $16 which was also what he paid. The amount shown on the shipping label as postage paid was $32. I double checked paypal figuring ebay had probably charged me $32, but the billing was correct. For a company that has been in business since 1995 it always amazes me how many software bugs they still have.

The item I had listed was a WE 7A. I listed it Thursday so it would run 10 days w/o reserve and get two we's of views. It's at our office with a bunch of other ebay stuff and I hadn't had time to check it out when I listed it Thursday. Saturday morning I brought my ohmmeter over and measured the xmfrs and then ran into trouble when I tried to update my add with additional info. After no success I ask somebody else to ask me a question about it figuring I could then get the info out via a publicly answered question, but that didn't work either. So that's when I said the heck with it all, cancelled the ad, went home and had a beer and watched an old movie. Now since I've been playing with the darn thing I think I might just keep it for awhile :wink:

PostPosted: Dec Mon 10, 2018 12:18 am 

It is not a glitch with eBay; it is deliberate so that sellers can't change a description after a bidder first reads it.

BTW, if a seller cancels too many bids it will result in a strike against you (as it should).

PostPosted: Dec Mon 10, 2018 12:48 am 

matt's basement wrote:
For a company that has been in business since 1995 it always amazes me how many software bugs they still have.

They frequently mess around with their system, changing policies and such, so they keep introducing new bugs. By the time they get around to fixing those (if they want to), TPTB have changed policies/rules/features again, and bam.. new issues. Rinse and repeat.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 10, 2018 12:57 am 

Johnnysan wrote:
It is not a glitch with eBay; it is deliberate so that sellers can't change a description after a bidder first reads it.

BTW, if a seller cancels too many bids it will result in a strike against you (as it should).

I have no problem playing by the rules and agree about adding something that changes the description after bids especially if negative. The description field was greyed out as it should be, but the "add to description" field was open for text or html. I am not doubting you, but how do you explain the rules as posted in the above mentioned link about "adding to the description"? And what happened to answering a question and making it public? It's confusing when their stated policy differs from actuality.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 10, 2018 1:00 am 

Vin Tageman wrote:
matt's basement wrote:
For a company that has been in business since 1995 it always amazes me how many software bugs they still have.

They frequently mess around with their system, changing policies and such, so they keep introducing new bugs. By the time they get around to fixing those (if they want to), TPTB have changed policies/rules/features again, and bam.. new issues. Rinse and repeat.

I'll just make darn sure whatever I list in the future is right the first time. I'll bet being a cust serv rep is a brutal job. I didn't cuss even a little, but I wanted to.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 18, 2018 12:34 am 

I've seen some where the seller added the serial number.