Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 19, 2019 8:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ahh, the old "death in the family" excuse, I see....
PostPosted: Nov Thu 22, 2018 2:37 am 

I recently bought a pre-war Emerson table radio on ebay from a new seller with only 11 feedbacks (one of which was negative). Normally that would scare me away, but I really wanted the set, and the price was right.

A few days go by with no "mark as shipped", and so very politely, I sent them a message asking if they had sent it yet. 3 more days go by with no response. So today I messaged them again, telling them that if I didn't hear from them by Friday, I would have no choice but to leave negative feedback and file a report with ebay--now that got a response within the hour.

They told me "So sorry, we had a death in the family, and I was out of town". Now, that certainly isn't impossible....but I view it as quite unlikely. I think the honest answer would've sounded more like "I'm not very motivated, and I've already got your money, but I was planning on sending it out eventually".

As it stands now, they've promised to send it out Friday morning asap---we'll see.

Have you ever had similar experiences on ebay?

Post subject: Re: Ahh, the old "death in the family" excuse, I see....
PostPosted: Nov Thu 22, 2018 2:55 am 

Yes - sick mother in Michigan, death in the family, recovering from illness, riot in the streets (Cincy.....valid.....!) and even "it was in my car to take the post office when the police towed it to clear for a parade" - also valid.

All but one turned out with positive results. They guy who had an ill mother had my $207 for a month, and was only jogged by my eBay case. I got the parts, and an apology. :)

PostPosted: Nov Thu 22, 2018 2:59 am 

I did follow up with my condolences, just in case that really happened---that would be terrible. But my experience with human nature tells me otherwise :wink:

PostPosted: Nov Fri 23, 2018 11:23 pm 

Let's revisit this one again for a moment. Where we left off, the seller promised to ship it out first thing Friday morning (today) asap. A couple of hours ago I checked my ebay--still not marked as shipped. So I sent them a message asking if it had been shipped--no response.

It's been 11 days now. If I don't hear from them by tomorrow morning, I will message them again, reiterating my promise to leave negative feedback and file a claim with ebay if I don't hear from them by the end of the day.

I sure hope another relative didn't pass on :roll:

PostPosted: Nov Fri 23, 2018 11:52 pm 

Both buying and selling on eBay is an extremely dangerous activity, not only for buyers and sellers but for members of the immediate family or next of kin, particularly parents. Maybe the CDC needs to get involved and get to the bottom of this, Romaine lettuce ain't got nothin' on eBay.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 24, 2018 1:57 pm 

I had the power go out for 3 days near the end of my last two listings. No one bid, but I wonder if anyone would believe me if that delayed shipping. I tend to actually physically ship within 24 hours of a listing except obviously on Friday evening. But if you use the service that prints a label it automatically shows it as shipped even though it has not physically left your location. The tracking number says it is, but then it may be days before any movement is shown on the tracking, I see that all the time.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 24, 2018 3:07 pm 

Those excuses are used in the online dating world too...

PostPosted: Nov Sat 24, 2018 7:13 pm 

The item is not marked as shipped. I contacted them yesterday, asking if it had been shipped yet--if it was, I would think they would've said so.

But something strange happened. Today it says that they left feedback, but it's not showing up---do you guys know how/why that would be?

PostPosted: Nov Sat 24, 2018 11:08 pm 

It's probably. Grandma died and all he cares about is this lousy radio we sold him and he's from Florida where all the nasty people live.
I'm just pulling your string. It sounds like your not sure if it's fact or bull and your working this as if it is fact.
Good guys finish last some times, but we can sleep nights. You'll probably get your radio. Lets just hope they pack it well for you.

Freeman

PostPosted: Nov Sat 24, 2018 11:37 pm 

They just shipped it today....12 days later. If I believed even for a second that there was a death in the family, I would've been far more accommodating and sympathetic. But think about it---if you're a seller that takes his time to do things, what better excuse than to say there was a death in the family? Who is going to argue with that? Instant reprieve.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 24, 2018 11:53 pm 

Here's a good one - Tell the buyer that you're in the military and you've been deployed overseas (Iraq). Sorry for the delay.
Or this one: "I thought I sent it to you but it tuned out that the package slipped between the seats of the pickup."

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 2:14 am 

You could throw the guilt trip back on them. I wonder what they'd think of this: "I'm sorry, but the reason I seem to be in a hurry is because my beloved mother remembers fond times sitting around this model radio, listening with her parents. We no longer have that one in the family, but she wants to listen to this radio with her own children gathered around her deathbed before she passes."

I know, I'm horrible. But, in times of [crass] war, there are no rules. :twisted:

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 3:16 am 

Vin Tageman wrote:
You could throw the guilt trip back on them. I wonder what they'd think of this: "I'm sorry, but the reason I seem to be in a hurry is because my beloved mother remembers fond times sitting around this model radio, listening with her parents. We no longer have that one in the family, but she wants to listen to this radio with her own children gathered around her deathbed before she passes."

I know, I'm horrible. But, in times of [crass] war, there are no rules. :twisted:

Haha, I like it! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 3:44 am 

Keep in mind there are 2 sides to every story.

I was able to locate the item in question using the advanced search for completed auctions on eBay.
The part where I get fuzzy is why the item already has feedback from the buyer, claiming fast shipping no less.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 5:18 am 

I too would like to know why(or where) there is feedback---I see that it's been left, but it does not show up on my feedback profile.

Fast shipping---I guess maybe by 1920's standards?

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 5:51 am 

Did you perhaps leave feedback for the wrong item? Or were looking at the wrong item that shows feedback was left? Maybe the eBay servers got the listings scrambled because according to that you left feedback for a radio you say just shipped.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 9:10 am 

It could be an ebay error. I didn't leave feedback for them, nor does the listing show that I did. Very odd....

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 1:44 pm 

https://www.m.ebay.com/seller?sid=andmar-3418

If you check the seller's feedback you see that the most recent is for this radio-which brings their feedback up to 12 from 11.

I'm leaning towards an internal eBay error since you say it shows you that feedback was left for you but you don't see it. Unless they get it fixed (doubtful) that means whichever seller you did mean to leave it for never got theirs either.

Edit-If it is telling you that you didn't leave feedback for the item I wonder what would happen if you tried to now

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 3:23 pm 

Just happened last week but what can you do. They have your money and control shipping schedule, just let it go.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 8:38 pm 

hoffies2 wrote:
They have your money and control shipping schedule, just let it go.

For how long? Say, six months from now? Or a year and a half?
I apply a math-like limit test to such things. If the seller has complete control of when the item is shipped, then the upper limit could be as high as never.
John

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next