Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 26, 2019 1:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 12-S-232 on Facebook
PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 2:40 am 

This is on Facebook Marketplace in Brownsburg, IN. I do not own this radio or am affiliated with it in any way.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 7726725698

Added photos from ad

Attachments:
Zenith 12-S-232 on fb.jpg
Zenith 12-S-232 on fb.jpg [ 109.38 KiB | Viewed 716 times ]
Zenith 12-S-232 on fb close up dial.jpg
Zenith 12-S-232 on fb close up dial.jpg [ 135.49 KiB | Viewed 716 times ]
Zenith 12-S-232 on fb back.jpg
Zenith 12-S-232 on fb back.jpg [ 109.35 KiB | Viewed 716 times ]

Last edited by roguethistle on Nov Tue 27, 2018 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Zenith 12-S-232 on Facebook
PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 3:36 am 

I jumped on this one right away (or so I thought), and was told I was second in line for it :x . He has since got some "expert" advice from somewhere that his price is too low-he pulled the original ad, and is re-thinking his price :x :x .

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 4:18 am 

What was the original asking price?

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 4:39 am 

That chassis is pretty boogered. No matter though, its a "Walton" and as such will go for a ridiculous amount.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 5:13 am 

Original price was $200. And yes, the transformer and chassis are a bit rusty. The grille cloth is not original, and the top looks like the finish has been sanded. But I recently got a 9 tube posted on CL for $675- I got it for $400, and it was in worse condition, but it's looking and playing fine now. This one has possibilities. He says he has reached out to radioattic to ask what he should sell it for.

Dan Fox

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 6:46 am 

oldradiofox wrote:
I jumped on this one right away (or so I thought), and was told I was second in line for it :x . He has since got some "expert" advice from somewhere that his price is too low-he pulled the original ad, and is re-thinking his price :x :x .

The expert advice probably came from whoever was third in line.

Bob

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 4:28 pm 

sofaslug wrote:
The expert advice probably came from whoever was third in line.

That's how some people get back at the world for not being 1st in line. I seriously doubt, whoever that was, would have said anything at all if he was the 1st in line.

Last edited by Indiana Radios on Nov Sun 25, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 4:30 pm 

oldradiofox wrote:

This exact thing happened to me when I bought my 12S265 earlier this year. I messaged the seller and was first in line to get it. Someone else got angry that they were not first and told the seller about how they were giving the Zenith away (priced too low). The seller pulled the ad shortly after but later offered it to me at their original (and agreed upon) asking price, which was about right for an all original 265 in excellent condition. They said that they did not feel right raising the price after we had agreed on a deal.

I should have asked the seller the name of the guy trying to sabotage my purchase. Seems like a very childish and petty thing to do.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 10:01 pm 

Jeremy, I feel a little bad about this radio (non-) deal. When I first saw the ad it said posted 2 seconds ago. I am talking about the original ad for $200. (not the one on the link). I replied right away with I will take it. He said he was going to a Christmas tree lighting that night. I said I will pick it up tomorrow. Then in the morning he said "I have many more people already asking for this but also I had found out it’s worth much more than what I thought so I am going to need to do some research first before selling"

So someone did tell him about the value of the radio. I would feel somewhat bad about getting this radio at such a low price. However, I have overpaid many times for the radios I have bought. I got low offers many times when I had my antiques showcase. I had to eat those bad deals. I learned that you have to do your research when selling antiques.

Ouch

Joe

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 11:14 pm 

With Facebook and Craigslist games can be played. I found many times the first to call on something like this means nothing. Someone offered more $$ and item is gone, or in this case he's accepting offers.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 25, 2018 11:40 pm 

roguethistle wrote:
......I feel a little bad about this radio (non-) deal. When I first saw the ad it said posted 2 seconds ago. I am talking about the original ad for $200. (not the one on the link). I replied right away with I will take it. He said he was going to a Christmas tree lighting that night. I said I will pick it up tomorrow. Then in the morning he said "I have many more people already asking for this but also I had found out it’s worth much more than what I thought so.........."
But you didn't feel bad enough to offer him more $$$? Just the speaker alone for a 12S is worth a chunk of change. If you had been upfront with him and made a more realistic offer you might still have gotten a bargain. I would never interfere with a deal unless it was an elderly person..... and I've never seen that happen before.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 26, 2018 12:44 am 

roguethistle wrote:
Jeremy, I feel a little bad about this radio (non-) deal. When I first saw the ad it said posted 2 seconds ago. I am talking about the original ad for $200. (not the one on the link). I replied right away with I will take it. He said he was going to a Christmas tree lighting that night. I said I will pick it up tomorrow. Then in the morning he said "I have many more people already asking for this but also I had found out it’s worth much more than what I thought so I am going to need to do some research first before selling"

So someone did tell him about the value of the radio. I would feel somewhat bad about getting this radio at such a low price. However, I have overpaid many times for the radios I have bought. I got low offers many times when I had my antiques showcase. I had to eat those bad deals. I learned that you have to do your research when selling antiques.

Ouch

Joe

I'd find out what his new asking price is. Will he offer it to you at the higher price since you were first in line, or is the seller playing an auction game/fishing for offers?

PostPosted: Nov Mon 26, 2018 12:56 am 

Jeremy, I think he is mainly fishing for offers now that he knows the radio is valuable. His Facebook ad says taking bids. He messaged me after I made offer that he my place the radio on ebay.

I told him it may take $1600 of restoration to make it a showcase radio.

Joe

Last edited by roguethistle on Nov Mon 26, 2018 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 26, 2018 1:05 am 

This whole topic is sad and I see it often on here. Someone stopped someone else from getting a steal. Kind of "ripping off a seller"? I tell sellers in many circumstances that their items are worth more. I understand the whole argument about someone 2nd or 3rd in line being a jerk and that is wrong but what If it was just someone who didn't want someone else getting taken advantage of?
I have had it happen to me when a seller says they found out it was worth more. I don't get mad at anyone but me. I sold a piece of furniture a few years ago that turned out to be a costly name brand from the early 1800's. I lost out on a ton of money but thats on me. I would love to have had someone tell me about it.

No, I did not mention anything to anyone involved in this post.

I see both sides.. It is hard to be forthcoming when it is such a good deal. It is also hard to watch some non radio person get robbed. People can do as they want but dont slight someone for being honest. If it is done out of spite then beat them! :twisted:

PostPosted: Nov Mon 26, 2018 1:56 am 

Eliot Ness: My previous note said: " I would feel somewhat bad about getting this radio at such a low price." I knew I had to act fast or someone else would get it. I thought $200 was fair since I could not see the side panels of the radio. I was certainly was prepared to offer more if I had to. For all I know, the side panel veneers could be missing/curled. The radio has chassis rust, not original grille cloth and the black shutter dial has white spots. Like I said, I have sold radio and antique things at a loss before not knowing the true value of the item beforehand. It is not just "buyer beware" it is seller beware.

Jeremy, He messaged me saying: "Or let someone else restore it and ask $2000". So he wants $2000 for it? Too much for me.

Since my original "I will take it" was a oral agreement (not written), there is no legal recourse that I know of. I look at it this way- antique radios is a hobby and nothing to get stressed out about.

Joe

PostPosted: Nov Mon 26, 2018 2:09 am 

I didn't even see the pictures of this radio, but $200 is so low on a 12-S you can almost guarantee someone will be backstabbing.

I've never bought a radio off FB or CL, but if it was more than 30 minutes away I'd be hesitant for fear they'd sell it out from under me, even if just for the same price from some of the stories posted here.

Sorry Joe, that would have been a deal to talk about for years! If he wants offers he should put it on eBay...

PostPosted: Nov Mon 26, 2018 4:55 am 

Had that happened to me a month or so ago when I spotted a Zenith Darth Vader on Facebook. I contacted the seller ,agreed to buy. When I arrived to get it,I was told by the seller a person from "canada" told them all about how much they sell for ,etc. etc. . It takes all kinds.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 26, 2018 4:58 am 

As a side note on the 12S232: we all know what just that speaker goes for. I've seen just the speaker go for over $1000.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 26, 2018 11:36 pm 

His early offers were $550.00 and $650.00, then he found out it was worth twice that amount in the poor cabinet condition.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 27, 2018 12:18 am 

Can anyone post a picture of this radio?

Bob

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 34 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next