Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 16, 2019 11:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ebay seller packaging methods
PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 2:41 pm 

I am pretty happy how they ship their radios. Seems most of them use Home Depot shipping boxes and materials. No damage so far from USA to Canada. How about you are you happy ?

Post subject: Re: Ebay seller packaging methods
PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 3:27 pm 

No.

At least 90% of what I receive is NOT packed well. People like to poo-poo all over the shippers, but they do a very good job normally, as evidenced by the fact that A) items are not packed well and B) they arrive with little or no damage.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 4:01 pm 

I don't have large stuff shipped USPS, but so far I have not had damage issues with packages in USPS. Magazines and such that are larger non-parcels is another thing.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 4:02 pm 

Skip-wave wrote:
I am pretty happy how they ship their radios. Seems most of them use Home Depot shipping boxes and materials. No damage so far from USA to Canada. How about you are you happy ?

You must have very limited experience with ebay shippers. This forum and the internet is full of ebay shipping disasters.

Home Depot cartons made from recycled materials vary greatly from one batch to the next. Many of them are so soft they crush under very little pressure on humid days. I would never use them for shipping.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 4:45 pm 

I had a lady tape some tissue paper over the front of an RCA 143 before she put it in the box. Unfortunately, she taped it right to the cabinet finish and when I peeled the tape off the finish came with it. Not the brightest bunch of sellers out there....

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 4:54 pm 

Most things I get from sellers are well packed and received with no damage. An exception was a vintage o'scope, while outside was packed well, the CRT came loose and broke and also damaged some other tubes while rattling around.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 6:31 pm 

The last several radios I've had shipped to me have all suffered the same fate: The weight of the speaker broke out the grill, the weight of the chassis broke apart the cabinet, etc. So even though they arrived with the outer box in good condition, you could hear clunking, tinkling, or banging noises inside when you moved the box.

If a seller can't evaluate an item and determine how to pack it to avoid these types of problems, they shouldn't be selling the item, IMHO. I'm the buyer... I don't have the thing in hand to evaluate it. They do. And yet, they don't pay attention.

Maybe the OP collects lightweight plastic AA5-style radios from the '50s, and that explains his good luck. I mostly buy radios from the '30s with power transformers and field coil speakers. I think I was zero for five in 2018. Not a single radio arrived in-tact.

Basically, I just need to stop buying radios online. Worthless endeavor.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 6:52 pm 

Guess none of you guys bought a radio from me then !! If I am shipping a heavy radio, I have an upholstery shop by me and I get all their foam scraps I will put about 6" on the bottom and top and at least 4" on the sides and if I have room (usually do) add 1"-2" of rigid foam board and all this is ALWAYS in a home depot heavy duty (double walled) box !!!
I had to ship a 109 lb Hallicrafters amp, NY to GA, 24 x 18 x18 box total was 122 lbs and arrived without a hitch !!
Also STOP using USPS and UPS for your radios !! I almost always use FED EX Ground and have not had ANY issues in at least 4 years !!
Good Luck out there !!!
Rock

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 7:26 pm 

Are we expecting the person doing the packing to be an engineer and they might or might not be? When the thing we are having shipped was new the packaging was engineered.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 7:40 pm 

Scott wrote:
I had a lady tape some tissue paper over the front of an RCA 143 before she put it in the box. Unfortunately, she taped it right to the cabinet finish and when I peeled the tape off the finish came with it. Not the brightest bunch of sellers out there....

Maybe not the brightest bunch of buyers out there, either. Whenever I find tape stuck to a wooden cabinet, whether it's shipping tape or a price tag, I always soak it in "Goo Gone" long before pealing it off.

Last edited by Indiana Radios on Dec Sun 16, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 7:41 pm 

rocklandman wrote:
Guess none of you guys bought a radio from me then !! If I am shipping a heavy radio, I have an upholstery shop by me and I get all their foam scraps I will put about 6" on the bottom and top and at least 4" on the sides and if I have room (usually do) add 1"-2" of rigid foam board and all this is ALWAYS in a home depot heavy duty (double walled) box !!!
I had to ship a 109 lb Hallicrafters amp, NY to GA, 24 x 18 x18 box total was 122 lbs and arrived without a hitch !!
Also STOP using USPS and UPS for your radios !! I almost always use FED EX Ground and have not had ANY issues in at least 4 years !!
Good Luck out there !!!
Rock

Yep! Few would have had success with that one due to an extremely heavy plate transformer which is an open invitation begging for problems and your method shows it can be done. Thanks for your post. You rock Rock!

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 7:43 pm 

Overall, I'd say it's 50/50 for me. Some pack well, while others just throw a fragile radio in a box loosely packed with newspaper--those always wind up broken

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 7:49 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
Scott wrote:

Maybe not the brightest bunch of buyers out there, either. Whenever I find tape stuck to a wooden cabinet, whether it's shipping tape or a price tag, I always soak it in "GooGone" long before pealing it off.

Good point! I've had things arrive with clear packaging tape taped to painted surfaces where the manufacturer did not use a primer, just one color coat.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 7:58 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
Scott wrote:

Maybe not the brightest bunch of buyers out there, either. Whenever I find tape stuck to a wooden cabinet, whether it's shipping tape or a price tag, I always soak it in "Goo Gone" long before pealing it off.

Well smart a$$ stick a large piece of clear packaging tape on one of your cabinets with a dried out and brittle finish and report back with how you make out. Make sure the tape is on the cabinet a week, then take lots of pictures of you removing it. I will patiently wait for your demonstration. No pictures or video, and it didn't happen. Regardless, this cabinet was getting refinished anyway, so I was not going to jump hoops to get this off with minimal damage, I could have tried a heat gun, etc, but the point is that the tape should never have been put directly on the cabinet.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 8:25 pm 

Purchased 3 radios on ebay in last 3 months. All three were terribly packed. The worst-packed came through without any damage. The other two were destroyed and I got full refunds. I had emailed everyone and offered to pay extra for double-boxing with foam before they shipped. Not one of them replied. All appear to be regular sellers. Those were the last ebay radios for me.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 9:43 pm 

Years ago I had one arrive in just the cardboard box, nothing else. Another time a heavy one was placed inside a giant oversized very thin box filled with styrofoam peanuts. The UPS guy actually rolled it up my driveway leaving a trail of white peanuts along the way.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 10:18 pm 

Greg G wrote:
Are we expecting the person doing the packing to be an engineer and they might or might not be? When the thing we are having shipped was new the packaging was engineered.

If "being an engineer" means looking at a radio critically and thinking, "What happens if this gets dropped so it lands on it's back? You know, I think that big heavy speaker could break out that flimsy grill it's bolted to," and then figuring out what to do to prevent that from happening, then yes, they should be an engineer.

I usually call that common sense. I'd say only people with common sense and critical thinking skills should ship radios.

I've met some people with no engineering background who seem to have plenty of common sense, and I've met engineers who definitely don't. I'd much rather have a thinking person ship me a radio, than some of the engineers I've worked with.

-Rodney

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 11:18 pm 

Almost all sellers do not know how to pack a radio. There's only two I know that consistently package a radio correctly. The rest get lucky if the radio makes it in one piece.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Dec Mon 17, 2018 12:21 am 

I buy very little but as a seller I have only one one issue is 20 years.

One of the challenges I see coming up is that with the upcoming rate increase, sellers will be tempted to fit things in smaller and smaller boxes.

A 16x61x16 box (which is actually 17x17x17) is oversize

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

PostPosted: Dec Mon 17, 2018 12:22 am 

rocklandman wrote:
Good Luck out there !!!
Rock

I use USPS for small stuff and FedEx Ground for bigger stuff

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 50 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next