Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 17, 2019 5:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ebay and it's categorization of search query
PostPosted: Mar Sun 17, 2019 8:55 am 

For some of you this is old hat....but for some relative newbies to ebay, they might find this helpful.

It's a relatively recent development that ebay will try to direct your search criteria into a specific category, which loses you possibly thousands of relevant listings. Here's an example. Let's say you search for "tube radio"---ebay will direct you into the category of Tube Radios. The problem here is that many sellers don't list or don't describe their auctions to fall into that category, so you're missing out on many listings.

Try it. Search for "tube radio" and see how many listings ebay returns once it categorizes your search into "Tube Radio". Now do the same search, only change the category from "Tube Radio" to "All Categories"--notice how many hundreds (or even thousands) of listings suddenly appear.

I never let ebay categorize my searches, I'll always override it by searching in all categories.

Post subject: Re: Ebay and it's categorization of search query
PostPosted: Mar Sun 17, 2019 1:42 pm 

tubes4life wrote:
For some of you this is old hat....but for some relative newbies to ebay, they might find this helpful.

It's a relatively recent development that ebay will try to direct your search criteria into a specific category, which loses you possibly thousands of relevant listings. Here's an example. Let's say you search for "tube radio"---ebay will direct you into the category of Tube Radios. The problem here is that many sellers don't list or don't describe their auctions to fall into that category, so you're missing out on many listings.
Try it. Search for "tube radio" and see how many listings ebay returns once it categorizes your search into "Tube Radio". Now do the same search, only change the category from "Tube Radio" to "All Categories"--notice how many hundreds (or even thousands) of listings suddenly appear.
I never let ebay categorize my searches, I'll always override it by searching in all categories.
More than you will ever want to know about the Cassini search engine.

Keep in mind, when signed into eBay cookies have been read, meaning, past searches. Past purchases and how much was paid, saved searches and watched items. All that data is assembled and either filters or enhances the result presented.

One must be signed out and use a "Private Browser" so no cookies can be read or left behind.

Searching with misspelled terms is also helpful, such as "Raido".

This topic was recently posted, I can't seem to search for it :lol:

YMMV

Chas

PostPosted: Mar Sun 17, 2019 3:04 pm 

I find it takes 2 to 3 attempts to override THEIR choice.... VERY ANNOYING!!!

PostPosted: Mar Sun 17, 2019 4:44 pm 

It automatically corrects misspelled searches. It never used to do that years ago and you could find lots of stuff for good prices.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 17, 2019 4:51 pm 

I tried multiple times to search for 'Sonar Radio'. It kept correcting to 'Solar Radio'.
I'll look for certain brands of radios and it will throw me into 1930-1949 category, which I won't notice 'til I'm halfway down the page. A bit irritating, since I forget to check that each time.
I keep looking for the button that says "Stop Helping Me!!"

PostPosted: Mar Sun 17, 2019 9:44 pm 

Yarehobbiesso$ wrote:
I tried multiple times to search for 'Sonar Radio'. It kept correcting to 'Solar Radio'.
I'll look for certain brands of radios and it will throw me into 1930-1949 category, which I won't notice 'til I'm halfway down the page. A bit irritating, since I forget to check that each time.
I keep looking for the button that says "Stop Helping Me!!"

Put Sonar in quotation marks when searching..."sonar" radio...it gave me 77 results in all categories.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 17, 2019 11:32 pm 

n3uvt wrote:
It automatically corrects misspelled searches. It never used to do that years ago and you could find lots of stuff for good prices.
Oh?

Maybe something is blocking the response in yer browser...

I get this, Showing results for old radio. Search instead for old raido and yes, there are still "Raidos" listed. Sure, Cassini offered the search for Radio but gave the option for what I typed in... Browser is smokin' you... :lol:

Oh, if ya gittin a lot crap with the search words, pick out some word in some of the offerings and add it to the search, with a space followed by a (-) a minus sign without the brackets... You can put as many "negated" words, until the text window quits...

IE: some baloney -salami -linguica

YMMV

Chas

PostPosted: Mar Mon 18, 2019 8:19 pm 

I hate it when I'm searching for vintage Sony radios, and it will bring up Walkman's,or boomboxes. You just can't win...