Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 19, 2019 9:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Aliexpress anyone using it?
PostPosted: May Sat 18, 2019 12:52 am 

Folks,

I'm considering signing up for Aliexpress. I'm looking for bargains in household goods and materials for repairs.

Is anyone using this service?

Have there been problems?

Chas

Post subject: Re: Aliexpress anyone using it?
PostPosted: May Sat 18, 2019 1:41 am 

I continually order from them. Chinese junk but low prices. 1% resistor assortment in case my Mouser parts run out. Some hardware, hobby toys for grandkids. Only problem is you have to wait, and wait, weeks, wait some more. Then a package will arrive.

PostPosted: May Sat 18, 2019 2:08 am 

Same for me, repeated orders with AliExpress and no problems. Seems that is where many eBay sellers (even US ones) get their stock too, and their photos.

The 3-4 week wait time is a bit much if your project is on hold. Depending on the individual seller however some offer faster shipping methods too for a increased price of course. I've had one order take about 10 days to arrive that way with the express shipping option.

They also have buyer protection in place (be sure it is shown on the item page your buying), but I've never had to use it.

PostPosted: May Sat 18, 2019 2:13 am 

I have used it several times, biggest drawback as others mentioned it takes up to a month. One other gripe is no way to track it...

PostPosted: May Sat 18, 2019 2:25 am 

tbone8 wrote:
One other gripe is no way to track it...

If it tracked it, it would simply show the current location as, "Boat on ocean", for about 90% of the tracking time. :)

PostPosted: May Sat 18, 2019 2:47 am 

radios2100 wrote:
tbone8 wrote:
One other gripe is no way to track it...

If it tracked it, it would simply show the current location as, "Boat on ocean", for about 90% of the tracking time. :)

Good one. :D I meant when it gets to the states. Gets somehow in the USPS system through some third party deal. Tried to figger out how to track it with the number they give you but was unsuccessful. :oops:

PostPosted: May Sat 18, 2019 3:03 am 

They do have some local tracking, but it seems I always get the tracking details the day after the item arrives. So there's some sort of delay when shipped this way.

PostPosted: May Sat 18, 2019 5:24 am 

Yes, I have seen identical stock from eBay sellers but also based in China. I really don't mind the wait. As for those on eBay 4 weeks seems to be the norm but I have had as little as 10 days...

What makes me bring this up I have considered building a renewable "B" battery and though I would try using battery holders. Ebay best is $1.49 each, Aliexpress is $0.69 each...

Simple reason as the soldering is some risk if not done right and could rupture seals, causing the cell to dry out...

I was looking at a 3/D-cell holder, 10 each for 45 volts times a build of three for 30 holders. I plan to use Sunbeam "D" batteries at a $1.00 each (local purchase) but there are batteries offered in Aliexpress, but I have not yet priced them.

I thought that I might have to pay an import tariff too, but I am unsure. Has anyone encountered a tariff using Aliexpress?

Has anyone encountered a currency or transaction fee from their credit card provider using Aliexpress?

O.T. I had some camera related stuff arrive today, photography tools and lens adapters, all eBay China and Japan. I am very pleased. A FotoFox (China Brand) M42 to FD adapter, I tried this afternoon with a 200mm lens looks like a great combination.

This stuff is not available from US manufacturers.

I did read of a fellow having bad luck with China manufactured devices, particularly microcomputer type like Arduino. Units did not work, there was no comment if that problem was remedied.

I am well aware of counterfeit goods, having consulted for Vectix electric motorcycle. Even the China suppliers of finish assemblies somehow got "fake" chips which soon killed the devices. The was no ISO 2000...(or whatever)...

Chas