Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sun 26, 2020 2:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: a 12S265 and a box!
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 1:11 am 

Amazing the box survived....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-Zenith-12 ... u&LH_All=1

Post subject: Re: a 12S265 and a box!
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 1:30 am 

Just was going to post this too... Rarest of the rare to have the box... Within a 7 hour drive for me so may have to keep an eye on this one... It would be worth the drive!

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 2:03 am 

Why is the box so tall? Did the chassis and speaker come separated in the box?

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 2:12 am 

6T5 in place, too.

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 2:16 am 

arzoo623 wrote:
Why is the box so tall? Did the chassis and speaker come separated in the box?

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the shipping carton too! I would suspect that was the case. The problem is WHAT DO YOU DO WITH IT?! :?

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 3:15 am 

Why the box is so tall was also the first thing I wondered. :)

And if it was shipped partially disassembled, then I wonder whether it was shipped lying flat? I'd like to see the inside of the box!

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 3:25 am 

Good evening,

I’m actually the person that is selling the radio and box. The top of the box in the picture is flat but the bottom of the box has almost a small pyramid shape to it, allowing it to rock back and forth slightly. In the main picture, if you look at the bottom of the box, it’s not sitting on the floor. Also, in the same picture, the side of the box that is towards the side of the radio, opens fully, coffin style. Inside, just cardboard lined.

Hope this helps

Chris

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 4:32 am 

From Antique Radios on Facebook :
Nicholas Tillich - "The box only survived because the owner converted it into a clothes wardrobe. Pretty clever. This was listed on Craigslist for an estate sale in Milwaukee starting tomorrow. Now it's mysteriously made it's way to Oconomowoc with a $1000 markup. I sure hope nobody is still planning on attending the sale tomorrow."

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 11:23 am 

Just found the ad on C-list. Was supposed to start today 5/30.

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 7:05 pm 

Cjtradinpost wrote:
Good evening,

I’m actually the person that is selling the radio and box. The top of the box in the picture is flat but the bottom of the box has almost a small pyramid shape to it, allowing it to rock back and forth slightly. In the main picture, if you look at the bottom of the box, it’s not sitting on the floor. Also, in the same picture, the side of the box that is towards the side of the radio, opens fully, coffin style. Inside, just cardboard lined.

Hope this helps

Chris

This woman should be banned. She sold the radio yesterday and did not update her ad until this morning after receiving complaints. I wonder how many others showed up this morning and wasted their time? To be clear I have no objection to a presale and realize the estate company's responsibility is to get the best price for the family. I also sincerely congratulate whoever made the deal.

I do have a problem with sellers that advertise a key item in a sale and knowingly neglect to make notice. This woman advertises as a "private seller" on estatesales.net possibly to hide her identify as I have been told she's a regular dealer at the Elkhorn flea market. When I arrived at 4:25AM this morning nobody else was anywhere in sight. After about 30 minutes I got out of my truck and walked up to the porch when I noticed an "official sign-up sheet" already had about 7 names on it, yet nobody was watching it. That was my first clue something was up so I left for awhile returning in about an hour. When I returned another woman was there waiting and was upset that there was an unattended list. When I looked at the list I was shocked that not a single name on it was the same as had been on the earlier list! The other interesting observation was that in both cases, the list was attached to a full notepad of paper. In all my days of picking and something all radio collectors know first hand is that ALL PICKERS ARE CHEAP. No real early bird would leave an entire pad of good paper with an unattended sign-up sheet. As I have no other explanation I can only assume the seller thought a list with a bunch of names on it would portray the false image of greater interest. Next the woman running the sale showed up. Myself and the other woman voiced our concerns regarding the list and was told "it didn't matter". The woman in line told me she thought she had seen the estate lady at the house earlier while I was gone which must explain the second sign up list. I then asked the sale lady about the radio and she told me, "we had so much interest that the family decided to keep it and pull it". I politely expressed my sorrow. A few minutes later a guy and a woman showed up. I told the guy if he came for the radio it wasn't available at which he replied, "Yeah I know, we sold it yesterday". So this business who advertises under the cover of a "private seller" not only failed to update her ad, but also flat out lied about the whereabouts of the radio. I normally don't get a chance to publicly humiliate a seller who lacks all resemblance of integrity, but considering this woman had no consideration for my time or expenses I feel it's in order.

EDIT: I drove 200 miles roundtrip with 4 hours plus of wasted time.

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 7:38 pm 

Good Afternoon to all,

After reading all the posts, I thought I would reply. First, to the gentleman that helped me realize the bottom of the box being a pyramid is from the prior owner making a hanging closet from it, thank you. I will be uploading revised pics on eBay.

Being an avid radio collector and yes, once an awhile, when I find a model that I have already had, I will sell it. I’m saving for a 12S232, have always wanted one, never had! Being harshly criticized that the radio “mysteriously made its way out to Oconomowoc”, I believe is a bit out of line!

I saw the ad on Craigslist on Wednesday just like everyone else. With the exact address of the sale being posted, I decided to drive by. When passing by, the front door was open with a lady on the porch. I parked, walked up, asked if she was selling anything ahead of time, she asked what I was looking at. I told her the Zenith and she’d asked me in to look at it. I gave her more $ then she had on the asking tag and loaded up.

I certainly can appreciate how everyone feels about how the lady acted this morning!! Completely out of line! But please, badgering me on this post, is not deserved! I can’t imagine that anyone of you have never bought something for less then current market value.

Thanks for listening,

Chris

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 8:15 pm 

Cjtradinpost wrote:
Good Afternoon to all,
I certainly can appreciate how everyone feels about how the lady acted this morning!! Completely out of line! But please, badgering me on this post, is not deserved! I can’t imagine that anyone of you have never bought something for less then current market value.

Thanks for listening,

Chris

Chris!, Please accept my apologies! The steam was still pouring out of my bald head and I thought YOU were the woman who was running the sale. --Matt

edit: Did not realize you were the lucky one who BOUGHT the set. Congratulations! My grip was with the estate woman who in my opinion was quite negligent and likely purposely in updating the ad so others would know it was nla. After all she told me she had received at least a dozen enquirers including someone in California so she clearly knew it would be a major draw of her sale. Most people who advertise estates as "private seller" are family members. IMO this woman exploited that label to shield her identity. Like everything, there are good estate companies and bad.

Last edited by matt's basement on May Thu 30, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 8:24 pm 

Sure,
I bought mine out of a secondary crate for $75.00 and sold it for $650.00 a year or 2 later. If the tag sale seller did no t do their research on yours then thats on them. They should not have sold it out from under others though and you know that... You took advantage of a situation.. not to keep it but to flip it at 10x the price. Thats sad.
But I am not here to judge. I don't know what I would have done in the situation. The tag sale person is really to blame. Id sue them for your 4 hour wasted trip Matt or at least publicize the entire situation to all their advertising sites as reviews...

Kirk

Attachments:
IMG_7743.JPG
IMG_7743.JPG [ 215.41 KiB | Viewed 486 times ]

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 8:43 pm 

OldRestorer wrote:
Sure,
I bought mine out of a secondary crate for $75.00 and sold it for $650.00 a year or 2 later. If the tag sale seller did no t do their research on yours then thats on them. They should not have sold it out from under others though and you know that... You took advantage of a situation.. not to keep it but to flip it at 10x the price. Thats sad.
But I am not here to judge. I don't know what I would have done in the situation. The tag sale person is really to blame. Id sue them for your 4 hour wasted trip Matt or at least publicize the entire situation to all their advertising sites as reviews...

Kirk

Most of the tag sellers in my area will not do presales for this very reason. Those that do usually have a policy of only if it is more than a week from the sale date so they can update their listing and not cause this problem. As far as making the deal, it's all fair game. Being in sales most of my life I learned a long time ago the worst that can happen is they say no. You have to ask for the order. I've made a lot of purchases by making presale offers. Since the internet they know (or should know) what a fair offer is and I make fair offers. I don't try to low-ball them. Sometimes I pay too much and sometimes I get a deal. It all works out. If I thought this woman was new and just starting out I would cut her some slack, but given she is a long-time antique dealer she should've known better. Sue....naw, not worth it. It was a tank of gas and I can grip about it for the weekend until my wife tells me to stick a sock in it.

Beautiful radio BTW and in the crate....wow!

Matt

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 8:52 pm 

Kirk wrote:
Sure,
Kirk

+1 Add me to your team, Kirk.....

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 11:58 pm 

Ok
I'll edit my statement or at least 1 word. It is not sad* it is disappointing that a radio collector did not get it for the original price. It's all too often the flippers get the steal and collectors get to pay the price. Flipper meaning "I bought this on Monday and its' up for sale for 10X the price on Tuesday."

As for suing.. More in jest... But I would leave scathing reviews everywhere. Can you share her business name? Im good at leaving reviews. I've had over 80,000 views on my very professional reviews of businesses. :twisted:

kirk