Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Mon 11, 2019 11:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Canada and US craigslist now separated?
PostPosted: Jul Sat 13, 2019 9:42 pm 

Question for anyone living near the Canadian border... Can you still see Canadian craigslists from your local CL?

In Seattle, it used to be that Vancouver, BC was within the "nearby areas" that could be included in a search of seattle.craigslist.org.

But within the last couple weeks, all Canadian craigslists have disappeared from the nearby areas lists of all US CLs near the border here. Even in Bellingham, which is significantly closer to Vancouver than to Seattle, it is no longer possible to show Vancouver results with a nearby search from Bellingham. But Seattle and other areas further south are still there.

Is that true everywhere else, as well?

I wonder what in the world prompted that change?

Post subject: Re: Canada and US craigslist now separated?
PostPosted: Jul Tue 16, 2019 3:58 am 

It's been like that here as well, for at least the past couple of weeks. We are in a unique situation in the Detroit area as we can actually see the short distance across the river into Canada and at night can clearly see the traffic lights, and lights of the cars driving on the roads.

Used to be that in many categories on Craigslist, if you got into the portion of the listings that were out of the local area because there weren't enough local ones, Windsor and other cities in SW Ontario would show in the results.

Now, Windsor isn't even in the list of Canadian cities that are available, the only way I can get there is to go to Toronto, from there to Canadian Provinces>>>> to Ontario, and then I get Windsor and other cities. Also if searching in the Windsor CL, even if there are no results in any given category it no longer shows results in the US>>>> Detroit area like it used to.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 16, 2019 4:33 am 

Rodney, I noticed that as well. What a pain! Living close to the border it's nice to see things in both countries. I solved the problem somewhat by setting up tabs on my browser so that I have British Columbia CL on one and Bellingham WA CL on the other. All of the nearby places are checked. Yes, It's a pain to go through the same search words twice, but I do it anyway.

Looking for mid to late 1930s Canadian Rogers, Majestic, and DeForest Crosley radios

PostPosted: Jul Wed 17, 2019 1:00 pm 

I don't see the need for Craigslist in Canada when Kijiji is available.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 17, 2019 11:02 pm 

I know. I don't see the need for Facebook Marketplace, Letgo, or Offerup in the USA, when craigslist is available!

Nonetheless, it used to be nice to see everything within 4 hours of me, all in one craigslist window.

Now I guess if I have to have two windows open, it will be a toss-up whether it's two craigslist windows, one for the USA and one for Canada, or a craigslist window for USA and a kijiji window for Canada...

Maybe I'll look at kijiji more often.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 18, 2019 12:16 am 

yeap, when running short of listings here in Buffalo, it rolls over to other nearby places one of which would be Toronto area.
At least it always has... honestly haven't looked in a while till now. Indeed it doesn't any more.
Personally have always found that to be annoying. Always found asking prices to be way out of line, even with the exchange.
Don't think I can recall once where a listing looked interesting enough for a guy to make a trip.