Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Mon 18, 2019 9:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: WD-11 adapters from China, whaddya think?
PostPosted: Jul Fri 19, 2019 1:05 am 

This Chinese maker is making tube adapters with WD 11 base for several types of sub tubes. Both for 864/30 and an octal adapter, and locktal. I have 30s and 864s on hand. What do you think of this? I certainly don't have any dud tubes to rob a base from, and a dud tube might cost as much or more. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-30-86 ... Swr~lYsU1y

Post subject: Re: WD-11 adapters from China, whaddya think?
PostPosted: Jul Fri 19, 2019 2:05 am 

I am not surprised 8)

Chas

PostPosted: Jul Fri 19, 2019 10:52 pm 

I had a pair of these come to me in a Radiola III I bought which the previous owner had given up on because it had an open interstate transformer in it.

The body is made from machined brass and they are well made and work fine, but there are no resistors in the adapters to make up for the difference in filament current between real WD-11s and the tube being adapted to so you will need to open them and add resistors if you want the filament control to work properly on sets like my Radiola.

Caretaker of Portable Tube Radios

PostPosted: Jul Sat 20, 2019 12:43 am 

You could also just adjust the ARBE to the correct voltage for the substitute tube. The adapters are pretty tall compared to others.I f you have an exposed tube radio they might make the tubes look funny if they are sticking out too far.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Jul Sat 20, 2019 12:52 am 

Would look for some original adapters

PostPosted: Jul Sat 20, 2019 1:14 am 

There was an antique Na-ald adapter on ebay and it sold for more than the Chinese job costs. I bid once but did not want to see if the sky was the limit. It was rather short and compact looking compared to the Chinese job. Well with the Chinese job, if you have an Aeriola with the well the tube sets in, that might make it possible to manipulate the sub tube versus pulling it out with a string on a lead. I have a couple good 864 tubes and no duds to rob a base off of. I have good and NOS C-11 tubes but why not have a sub to use in the instance of long operating sessions and save the big dollar originals. I would of course adjust the A voltage to whichever tube I subbed in. That guy is making all kinds of tube adapters for different applications, it appears.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 20, 2019 2:08 am 

wazz wrote:
There was an antique Na-ald adapter on ebay and it sold for more than the Chinese job costs. I bid once but did not want to see if the sky was the limit. It was rather short and compact looking compared to the Chinese job. Well with the Chinese job, if you have an Aeriola with the well the tube sets in, that might make it possible to manipulate the sub tube versus pulling it out with a string on a lead. I have a couple good 864 tubes and no duds to rob a base off of. I have good and NOS C-11 tubes but why not have a sub to use in the instance of long operating sessions and save the big dollar originals. I would of course adjust the A voltage to whichever tube I subbed in. That guy is making all kinds of tube adapters for different applications, it appears.
Before ARF, before I knew of AWA, I fixed up battery sets for local old timers. I did have access to a machinist who made the '11 tube pins for me. I took a large tube base and drilled out the old pins, drilled new holes and installed the pins. The base accepted a spring-ring mount socket. Wired and epoxied, done. The tube of the day was the 864. He used the radio until it became part of his estate. I found the radio for sale at the local antiques mart. Still with the adapters and the 864's...

One should be able to find brass rod and the rest of the materials in the junque box to roll a '11 to ux-4 adapter. Need only a drill and a die set to make it happen...

A dud, large Bakelite base '11 would be great.

I have a variation of a '11 adapter made from solid round pins, sheet brass and red phenolic insulators. Does not lend itself to hand manufacturing very easily. Still, it exists...

RCA's Radiola-III and (a) conversion to ux-4 was for '99s, the additional resistance was provided by an external rheostat and became a battery setting control. Something that could be eliminated if an adjustable "A" supply was used...

BTW the conversion I made so long ago worked great, 864's gave smooth regeneration control and filament control was perfect.

Chas

PostPosted: Jul Sat 20, 2019 3:00 am 

Attachment:
11.jpg
11.jpg [ 300.36 KiB | Viewed 533 times ]
Attachment:
12.jpg
12.jpg [ 309.13 KiB | Viewed 533 times ]

PM sent.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Jul Sat 20, 2019 3:17 am 

I bought 3 for my Aeriola Sr tuner and amp. They use 1LA4 loktals. Never did get the tuner to work. Guess I should take it out and try again. These have a resistor inside the base.

Attachments:
SAM_2715.JPG
SAM_2715.JPG [ 127.62 KiB | Viewed 528 times ]
SAM_2716.JPG
SAM_2716.JPG [ 171.89 KiB | Viewed 528 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Sat 20, 2019 1:46 pm 

I have 2 sets that use one WD-11. I went ahead and treated myself to 2 good examples. Relatively speaking, they're not extremely expensive. For me I totally felt it was worth it. Now, my Radiola III, and matching amp, came with 4 adapted tubes so I just left that one as-is.