Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 06, 2019 10:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: AK Breadboard/What is this?
PostPosted: Sep Mon 02, 2019 3:22 pm 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1920s- ... 1438.l2649

Post subject: Re: AK Breadboard/What is this?
PostPosted: Sep Mon 02, 2019 3:42 pm 

very interesting

PostPosted: Sep Mon 02, 2019 3:43 pm 

That is just an assortment of AK parts assembled on a board to build a radio. Probably done by a collector in the 70s to display various AK breadboard parts he had procured into a working radio.
Alan

PostPosted: Sep Mon 02, 2019 4:01 pm 

I guess if you read the cards it will tell us. This I did after I posted earlier.

thanks

PostPosted: Sep Mon 02, 2019 4:05 pm 

I think differently. I think it's an AK model 3 that's been heavily modified back in the 20s and the 2 tube island has, for some reason, been replaced with a 1 tube island more recently. Look at the aluminum screws anchoring the 1 tube amp island to the board. Those aren't 1920s screws, not like all of the brass screws that's anchoring everything else onto the board. Also look at all of the plugged up holes where connecting posts used to be.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 02, 2019 4:38 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
I think differently. I think it's an AK model 3 that's been heavily modified back in the 20s and the 2 tube island has, for some reason, been replaced with a 1 tube island more recently. Look at the aluminum screws anchoring the 1 tube amp island to the board. Those aren't 1920s screws, not like all of the brass screws that's anchoring everything else onto the board. Also look at all of the plugged up holes where connecting posts used to be.

I agree with Michael. I think this set started out as an original factory 3955 (Model 3). I think I can pick out a couple of original wires and most importantly I see the factory jig marks that were left on all factory 3955's.

http://www.atwaterkentsrus.com

PostPosted: Sep Mon 02, 2019 4:49 pm 

Hi
thanks for sharing

thanks
bobv

antiquedomain.com

PostPosted: Sep Mon 02, 2019 6:46 pm 

atwaterkentsrus wrote:
Indiana Radios wrote:

I agree with Michael. I think this set started out as an original factory 3955 (Model 3). I think I can pick out a couple of original wires and most importantly I see the factory jig marks that were left on all factory 3955's.

After looking at the board closely I agree with you and Michael. What is even a bigger tragedy is that an original 3955 was modified in that manner. The single tube amp would have been easily replaced with the proper two-stage amp but all the added binding posts are going to be a little difficult to correct.

There is another possibility for this set as well. The 3955 was sold without an amp at all so the user could buy one at a later date when he had saved up more money. That would have really made this a rather rare set if it had been sold that way.
Alan
Attachment:
AK 1923  4 arf.jpg
AK 1923 4 arf.jpg [ 315.84 KiB | Viewed 717 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Tue 03, 2019 6:28 am 

atwaterkentsrus wrote:
Indiana Radios wrote:

+1, its a shame it ended up this way.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Sep Tue 03, 2019 6:39 am 

If you notice the seller, our old pal Radios10467, it shouldn't be any surprise that he's hammed something up to get the most bang for the bucks...

PostPosted: Sep Tue 03, 2019 7:11 am 

I agree that with this seller, caveat emptor applies perhaps more than with some other sellers. However, the listing looks pretty straight to me.

There are 2 sheets of paper presented in the auction that are claimed to have come to the seller with the set, and they are photographed well-enough to be easily legible. One of the two sheets describes the radio parts and the apparent homebrew nature of the radio. The other sheet shows a hand-drawn example of a 3945 breadboard (also pictured above) and a reference to an ad in a periodical, apparently a former owners' attempt to understand and explain the history of this radio.

Overall, I don't see much new info in this thread that wasn't already included in the auction listing itself. Michael's suggestion the board originally started as a 3955 is new. But otherwise, I think the auction listing lays it out pretty well.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2019 10:28 pm 

So is this a 1920s ATWATER KENT MODEL BREADBOARD RADIO WITH TUBES or a MODIFIED 1920s ATWATER KENT MODEL BREADBOARD RADIO WITH TUBES or Component parts assembled into a 1920s ATWATER KENT MODEL BREADBOARD RADIO WITH TUBES?

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 12:49 am 

A HEAVILY MODIFIED 1920s ATWATER KENT MODEL BREADBOARD RADIO WITH TUBES.