Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 06, 2019 10:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: G & F Searchlight Radio
PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 5:18 pm 

pauls.ironhorse wrote:
One of the misleading listings, I contacted this seller, but don't remember if any changes were made, long time ago. Note the listing says "Powers On". Maybe the voice coil and spider were intact ??

I agree that "Powers On" shouldn't have been in the title without an explanation of what he meant in his description, but the listing was clear enough to anyone interested in that speaker what basic condition it was in. It was in need of major repair.

The seller had good pictures showing the cone missing - that wouldn't have fooled anyone.

Also the seller's description clearly states "Untested".

I'd be tempted to contact sellers that have no clue to help them out at times, but this certainly would have been one that wasn't worth any effort and would have been ignored.

Attachment:
unt.jpg
unt.jpg [ 114.01 KiB | Viewed 551 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 5:31 pm 

Hi Again John- It is a mistake to interpret my statement on deal responsibilities as an authoritative dictate. I was asked my opinion of the sellers and buyers responsibilities, and I expressed my opinion. These are my thoughts and when I make a judgment on an auction, I use those criteria. From my perspective, these are my standards and if you agree with them (In-part or in-full), fine and if you disagree, that's OK too.

However, if we believe in self-fulfilling prophecies, lowering the bar on sellers actions is not the way to go.

My personal objection to the actions of this buyer is something I wanted to share in this forum. Isn't this forum format designed for this purpose, sharing of ideas? Bill

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 5:36 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
OldRadioCrazy.com wrote:
Hi Again John- It is a mistake to interpret my statement on deal responsibilities as an authoritative dictate.

Hehehe ... that 's good to know that you understand that. You wouldn't be preaching to the choir here. Personally I don't think we'd be lowering the selling bar as much as we'd be raising the personal responsibility bar for buyers if we put things back the way they were about 10 years ago on eBay as far as "feedback", "automatic refunds" etc. The system now is not as good or as fair as it was then.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 8:53 pm 

Bill,
Your list is unreasonable I'm sorry to say. Most of these folks are flipping things they pick up at estate sales, yard sales, or the basement. There is no way they are going to put that much effort into selling something they have no knowledge of or passion for. Besides that they get messages from folks like you telling them their product is junk. Lets all be real here with motive and understand you are in the business of buying and selling radios. Your goal is to buy as cheap as possible and sell for as much as you can. Nothing wrong with that either, but you come here to question this persons integrity and yet you asked him to "end the auction" with an offer of $450.00 for the radio. Again business is business and it's a two way street when it comes to integrity.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 9:50 pm 

kurt1618 wrote:
Bill,
Your list is unreasonable I'm sorry to say. Most of these folks are flipping things they pick up at estate sales, yard sales, or the basement. There is no way they are going to put that much effort into selling something they have no knowledge of or passion for. Besides that they get messages from folks like you telling them their product is junk. Lets all be real here with motive and understand you are in the business of buying and selling radios. Your goal is to buy as cheap as possible and sell for as much as you can. Nothing wrong with that either, but you come here to question this persons integrity and yet you asked him to "end the auction" with an offer of $450.00 for the radio. Again business is business and it's a two way street when it comes to integrity.

Kurt- This is why for the most part I stay away from ARF. This is the second time I have posted a topic in the last couple of months and end up fending off personal attacks.

You started out with a very good sense of perspective where many of these sellers come across radios they know nothing about. Then, you took a right turn into utter nonsense by putting me in a generalized category of the "folks like you..." and "Your goal is to buy as cheap...". This is all total conjecture on your behalf.

Now, as for the $450 offer, that is about what it's worth to me. He declines the offer and that was the end of it. The value of this radio in excellent original condition is much higher as I said in my initial posting, but it requires plenty of restoration work and luck trying to locate a very rare correct chassis. So at $450, there is no bargain, just a lot of time and effort to recover your costs+.

You have made irresponsible remarks about my business motives and integrity. You have never spoken to me or dealt with me in any way, yet you feel free to besmirch my reputation. Irrespective of my commercial and collector interests, I have a right to state my opinions and have a productive exchange, instead I receive personal attacks among the otherwise reasonable replies. I hope the majority here agrees with this final point.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 10:42 pm 

Bill,
I have many short comings as a person and one of them is calling out people for professing such high personal standards. And then using those standards as a bully tactic to get what they want. Lets be clear you asked the seller to end the auction while there were other bids in place. Where is that on your list of standards. I can't apologize to you in this case for questioning your integrity when you had no regard for others rights in the bidding process. We all need to understand that we are not perfect and there are times we fall short. We can also disagree in the way we do business but remember people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 11:28 pm 

kurt1618 wrote:
Bill,
I have many short comings as a person and one of them is calling out people for professing such high personal standards. And then using those standards as a bully tactic to get what they want. Lets be clear you asked the seller to end the auction while there were other bids in place. Where is that on your list of standards. I can't apologize to you in this case for questioning your integrity when you had no regard for others rights in the bidding process. We all need to understand that we are not perfect and there are times we fall short. We can also disagree in the way we do business but remember people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Please refer to my last email. You are on a carrousel of thoughts that are totally absurd and over the top when discussing radios.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 11:34 pm 

OldRadioCrazy.com wrote:
Please refer to my last email. You are on a carrousel of thoughts that are totally absurd and over the top when discussing radios.

I wasn't going to reply again, but .... holy moly !!

Quit complaining about people attacking you. You came here to complain about him, exposed him to the world, and attacked him here where he can't defend himself. You have a set of standards that you tried to apply to someone else. You said in your first post that you "told him" and had "several exchanges". Really ?? If your first message didn't work, that should have been a big fat clue that he doesn't care what you think, so maybe try minding your own business.

sheesh!

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 11:38 pm 

Thanks Bill,
Ignorance is bliss but not an excuse.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 11:47 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
OldRadioCrazy.com wrote:

I wasn't going to reply again, but .... holy moly !!

Quit complaining about people attacking you. You came here to complain about him, exposed him to the world, and attacked him here where he can't defend himself. You have a set of standards that you tried to apply to someone else. You said in your first post that you "told him" and had "several exchanges". Really ?? If your first message didn't work, that should have been a big fat clue that he doesn't care what you think, so maybe try minding your own business.

sheesh!

When I entered this forum, I clicked the forum which is titled and has the theme:

Online Auctions and Sales Forum
Want to discuss (or just gripe) about eBay, CraigsList and other online auction and internet sales sites? Here's the place. Links to your own auctions/sales and ads are not permitted.

You say, " You came here to complain about him, exposed him to the world, and attacked him here where he can't defend himself". That's all I did.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 11:57 pm 

Wow!! I'm tapping out. I think I will go list a rare G&F and wait for the storm a comin

PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2019 4:42 am 

Glad to see the G&F sold for $832.44

PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2019 5:53 am 

OldRadioCrazy.com wrote:
kurt1618 wrote:
Thanks Bill
I see your point but people have the right to sell anything they want for whatever price they can get. Just because a quote expert tells them what's wrong with a radio doesn't mean they should trust your input. So tell me this if you see a radio on line that is grossly under valued do you contact that seller and offer them a far greater amount? Just curious because most collectors I've seen here would not. I saw the same radio and most of what you mentioned was wrong as well but I'm not going to be one of those "guys" who has to point out all the flaws so I can grab it at my price. This all comes from my experience dealing with "guys" like you. Forgive the rant but this burns my butt

Hi Kurt- Thank you for the great question. I buy and sell radios on a daily basis, so I am tested in my opinion of a buyer’s and seller’s responsibility in a deal. My comments below use a radio auction as an example. Here are my thoughts on respective responsibilities:

Online Seller’s Responsibility-

(1.) PICTURED-
A seller is responsible for providing a series of sharp and well-lit pictures of the radio. This includes a fontal picture, oblique left, oblique right, frontal angled picture of the top, back (w/ and w/o back panel optional) and bottom. The pictures should include close up of any defects.

(2.) DESCRIPTION-
If the seller is not familiar with what they are selling, a quick online search should be
Done. Google is rich with pictures and information about most radios. This research will give the seller good information to create a meaningful description of the make/model radio. Then, the seller needs to take a close look at the radio and prepare of defects.

(3.) PRICE-
Seller's determines the price as best they can for a fixed auction and know what offer level to accept. If the seller undervalues or overvalues what they are selling, this is not an ethical dilemma for the buyer.

Online Buyer’s Responsibility-

(1.) KNOWLEDGE BASE-
A buyer must be well researched on the radio they intend to buy, knowing the market value and the areas where potential defects may exist.

(2.) RISK-
Online buyers face a reasonable risk when buying from a seller that is not a radio hobbyist. Lower quality pictures, lack of defect disclosure, and packing problems are among the greatest risks. These concerns must be considered when a seller is deciding on a bid, BIN or BO amount.

(3.) QUESTIONS-
Buyers are responsible for asking all questions of the seller before they begin the buying stage of the deal. As an example, when a buyer identifies a Catalin radio they are interested in buying, it is imperative to ask the following questions and secure an agreement relative to packing:

“Hi. I am interested in this radio and need 2 questions answered before I will consider whether or not I will buy it.

CONDITION-
Does this Catalin radio, its cabinet, and trim have any cracks, chips, nicks, hairlines, tube burns, cabinet warpage, repairs or reproduction parts?

PACKING-
Do you agree to pack this radio according to the instructions below?

• Double-box packing;
• Do not use Styrofoam peanuts;
• Cocoon wrap radio on all surfaces with 4” of bubble wrap;
• Place wrapped radio in the interior box so it sits snuggly (not too tight)
• Line exterior carton with 2” of insulating material on all 6 sides (Styrofoam plank best choice);
• Place the interior box in exterior carton with insulation in voided space between boxes so it fits snuggly; and
• Insure radio for the full purchase price.

Please send a reply email confirming radio condition and your acceptance of packing instruction.”

(4.) PRICE-
If a buyer finds a radio auction that is underpriced or the seller accepts a low offer, that is a win for the buyer.

(5.) PAYMENT-
When a buyer buys a radio, payment should be made immediately.

Bill, Remember me? I have kept my mouth closed and read your comments knocking Kirk in the past and now I read this among your other comments how honest and up standing a person like yourself can be and how so many others are wrong. Those are your opinions and you are of course entitled to them.

Now lets look at the facts about your opinions that you are throwing around.

I gave my blessing to a good customer of mine about buying one of your Searchlight radios on E-bay after asking you several questions about the radio. Cabinet condition, Chassis condition and so forth even though you failed to show anything on the sides except for very angled pictures of the sides and top and no picture of the back, And you offered to sell it at a reduced asking price of $1600.00 through Friends & Family which I would suppose so you wouldn't end up with a return. You sent the radio directly to me and when unpacked It and found the middle strip of veneer cracking and badly lifting 60% of it around the cabinet, A large split in the base and none of the damage was pictured or revealed in my questions. I was also promised a template for the rear cover which wasn't there and when I talked to you several times about returning the radio because of the excessive veneer damage do you remember what your comments were? Your answer was NO, I'm not taking it back. This is a old radio and you should expect there to be flaws.

And then you proceed to knock the A.R.F. members for their views. Perhaps you should keep your opinion to yourself and perhaps practice what you so willfully preach.

While most of the time I stay quiet and enjoy reading all of the threads and comments on this Wonderful forum. I do not like or enjoy writing something like this about anyone and take no pleasure in it but it's about time someone puts it in front of you.

Kent.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2019 10:45 pm 

Kent- To be clear, you were not a party to this sale. Your role was to advise the buyer on whether or not the G&F Searchlight radio I was offering for sale was a good radio to buy. You reviewed this auction as did the buyer and you gave the deal the "Green Light". With this degree of scrutiny, it is reasonable to say the buyer made an informed decision with all aspects of the radio thoroughly inspected. I doubt you would have made this positive review of this radio if the pictures or auction description were inadequate.

Your recollection of receiving the radio in the condition you stated differs substantially from what I remember of the radio's condition was when I shipped it to you. The difference in the condition of the radio as we each remember it may likely be the result of shipping damage. The cabinet of this radio is very thin and circular. Even with good packing, the jostling during shipping could easily explain why our respective recollections of the condition are different. All of my radio shipments include shipping insurance. If the auction pictures/description differed from your recollection of the radio as you receive it, then, why did you not ask that a claim be filed through this insurance coverage?

Irrespective of whether shipping damage was involved or not, the buyer agreed to buy the radio, based on your advice after a complete review of the auction pictures, description and discounted asking price paid via family and Friends. If the auction stated "No Returns", which is most possible, there would be no rationale behind a refund request.

You have spoken harsh things about this deal but you were the person that gave the radio your "Thumbs Up". It is either a case of shipping damage or your advice gone bad. I suspect the latter. Bill

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 2:05 pm 

I wonder how many know the G&F Searchlight also came in Ivory, yes this is factory original. Here are pictures of one I owed years ago that I enjoyed a lot. Even with the finish condition which I left untouched, it is a beautiful radio.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 5:59 pm 

OldRadioCrazy.com wrote:
Kent- To be clear, you were not a party to this sale. Your role was to advise the buyer on whether or not the G&F Searchlight radio I was offering for sale was a good radio to buy. You reviewed this auction as did the buyer and you gave the deal the "Green Light". With this degree of scrutiny, it is reasonable to say the buyer made an informed decision with all aspects of the radio thoroughly inspected. I doubt you would have made this positive review of this radio if the pictures or auction description were inadequate.

Your recollection of receiving the radio in the condition you stated differs substantially from what I remember of the radio's condition was when I shipped it to you. The difference in the condition of the radio as we each remember it may likely be the result of shipping damage. The cabinet of this radio is very thin and circular. Even with good packing, the jostling during shipping could easily explain why our respective recollections of the condition are different. All of my radio shipments include shipping insurance. If the auction pictures/description differed from your recollection of the radio as you receive it, then, why did you not ask that a claim be filed through this insurance coverage?

Irrespective of whether shipping damage was involved or not, the buyer agreed to buy the radio, based on your advice after a complete review of the auction pictures, description and discounted asking price paid via family and Friends. If the auction stated "No Returns", which is most possible, there would be no rationale behind a refund request.

You have spoken harsh things about this deal but you were the person that gave the radio your "Thumbs Up". It is either a case of shipping damage or your advice gone bad. I suspect the latter. Bill

Bill, Your recollection of the transaction is totally incorrect. Perhaps you should read my comments again since your reasons or excuses don't even come close to following what I wrote here. But I have a feeling that what ever happens in your world is always the other persons fault. The only reason that I made any comment on this thread at all was because you had to down play the seller which was much more honest about his sale than you were though you had message him of all the incorrect things that he was doing on his listing.

And yes Bill I was a party to that sale since I was to restore it and did for him and about a informed decision about the purchase I sent you several messages asking if the veneer was tight and sound because your pictures were not straight shots of the top and sides and you reassured me that it was a tight cabinet with good veneer and you know that and I trusted you which of course was a mistake that won't be made again. Anyone can take shady pictures and hide the damage.

And you know there wasn't any shipping damage because I sent you pictures of the bubbled veneer and of a perfectly undamaged carton. along with 4 direct telephone calls to you which you pretty much told me to stick it. I am nearing 60 years of age now and I'm pretty sure that you can not file a damage claim with a carrier when they didn't cause any damage and that the cabinet was just in poor condition when sold.

And why ask me a foolish question why he didn't file a return claim since you know very well that you ended the listing on E-bay early to make it a "Private" sale where he had no reasonable recourse and of course sealed that deal when you said payment had to be through Paypal and had to be through Friends and Family so that there wasn't any recourse through Paypal after sending the payment that way either. There's no sense to deny that you cancelled the listing since no one would purchase a item of that value and not pay through the normal lines and forfeit the buyer protection that E-bay and Paypal offers.

At times it is hard to argue the facts,

I have wasted enough time on this issue and I will not comment any further and I'm sure in your mind that you are correct as always.

At the least Bill give the seller of this topic credit for what I believe was a fine description of what he knew about the radio.

Kent.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 7:09 pm 

Papa Kent wrote:
OldRadioCrazy.com wrote:

Bill, Your recollection of the transaction is totally incorrect. Perhaps you should read my comments again since your reasons or excuses don't even come close to following what I wrote here. But I have a feeling that what ever happens in your world is always the other persons fault. The only reason that I made any comment on this thread at all was because you had to down play the seller which was much more honest about his sale than you were though you had message him of all the incorrect things that he was doing on his listing.

And yes Bill I was a party to that sale since I was to restore it and did for him and about a informed decision about the purchase I sent you several messages asking if the veneer was tight and sound because your pictures were not straight shots of the top and sides and you reassured me that it was a tight cabinet with good veneer and you know that and I trusted you which of course was a mistake that won't be made again. Anyone can take shady pictures and hide the damage.

And you know there wasn't any shipping damage because I sent you pictures of the bubbled veneer and of a perfectly undamaged carton. along with 4 direct telephone calls to you which you pretty much told me to stick it. I am nearing 60 years of age now and I'm pretty sure that you can not file a damage claim with a carrier when they didn't cause any damage and that the cabinet was just in poor condition when sold.

And why ask me a foolish question why he didn't file a return claim since you know very well that you ended the listing on E-bay early to make it a "Private" sale where he had no reasonable recourse and of course sealed that deal when you said payment had to be through Paypal and had to be through Friends and Family so that there wasn't any recourse through Paypal after sending the payment that way either. There's no sense to deny that you cancelled the listing since no one would purchase a item of that value and not pay through the normal lines and forfeit the buyer protection that E-bay and Paypal offers.

At times it is hard to argue the facts,

I have wasted enough time on this issue and I will not comment any further and I'm sure in your mind that you are correct as always.

At the least Bill give the seller of this topic credit for what I believe was a fine description of what he knew about the radio.

Kent.

Kent- You make these accusations without presenting the inconvenient facts which include the pictures and description from my auction that you based your advice on. If you provided the auction and when received pictures and auction description, that would expose the truth. I am not going to accept your account of this transaction without concrete evidence supporting how the radio appeared before it was shipped and how I explained the radio in auction my description. That is only common sense. Bill

P.S. You cannot claim you are a party to this transaction. You were neither the buyer or seller... you are exaggerating your position to make it seem you are more important in this "Story".

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 9:35 pm 

OldRadioCrazy.com wrote:
Kent- You make these accusations without presenting the inconvenient facts which include the pictures and description from my auction that you based your advice on. If you provided the auction and when received pictures and auction description, that would expose the truth. I am not going to accept your account of this transaction without concrete evidence supporting how the radio appeared before it was shipped and how I explained the radio in auction my description. That is only common sense. Bill

P.S. You cannot claim you are a party to this transaction. You were neither the buyer or seller... you are exaggerating your position to make it seem you are more important in this "Story".

Hmmm, the more I read your postings the more inclined I am to believe Kent's story. You seem to get very defensive when someone calls you out for doing the same things that you have accused the eBay seller of doing and your answers are very evasive. I guess it feels different when you're the hunted instead of the hunter.

That's me out.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 10, 2019 1:39 pm 

John- A call for factual information is not a defense posture, it is, in fact, a proactive measure to properly reconcile the different accounts of the radio's condition. If I were defensive about Kent's accusations, I would let what he said go unanswered. If Kent supplied the auction pictures and description which is his obligations when making "harsh statement", the facts would speak for themselves. That is the only reason I have continued to respond to Kent. What other means do we have to settle this exchange and accounting for all the facts? Bill

PostPosted: Sep Wed 11, 2019 12:21 am 

Bill, you really need to put this to rest as the hole you are digging is so deep all I can see is your feet at this point.I am convinced I will never do business with you and I'm glad I trusted my intuition when you contacted me wanting to buy a few of my radios. You used the same tactics with me pointing out all the flaws and doing your best to low ball. Again at the time it was "just business ". and my choice to say thanks but no thanks. Based on what I read here I will recommend to anyone who asks to stay clear.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 41 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next