Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 15, 2019 12:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ebay sales tax. Will it change your buying or selling?
PostPosted: Sep Sun 15, 2019 9:26 pm 

I was starting to see sales tax added on to stuff I sold and now I am getting hit buying, as Ebay has made a sweet deal with Ohio too. So if you want to buy something that is say 400$, on top of sometimes steep shipping, you may get another substantial charge on the item. Or your buyers may shy away from high priced stuff, possibly. I can see this pushing some stuff to other venues to sell and impacting big ticket items on their website. How about you?

Post subject: Re: Ebay sales tax. Will it change your buying or selling?
PostPosted: Sep Sun 15, 2019 9:31 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
No.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 15, 2019 11:08 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
No.
+1

They are taxes imposed by the state you live in.

With just about all third party transactions available as data to taxing authorities. At some point, one may get billed for the unpaid taxes.

That was a friendly reminder to me some 15ya from my accountant. So, I keep track, at tax time my state refund gets the sales/use deducted by submitting the document with my tax forms.

I cannot vouch for 49 other stats, but Massachusetts does not take use/sales tax for shipping charges.

Be aware if that happens and you have official document, file that too as part of the total for sales tax.

If you are re-selling the item and have a sales/use tax number on file (I suppose eBay) sales taxes should not be taken. Irregardless no matter what the sales/use tax rate is, what is applicable to you is what the rate is in your state. So, lets say a certain state has 9% rate, your state is 4%, the item gets taxed at the sellers state for 8% (or what ever eBay hoses you for). You can take the extra 4% as a deduction from your states sales/use tax.

Some states tax certain items, some do not. For example Massachusetts does not tax clothing...

I manage my sales/use tax purchases using a simple spread sheet copy/past the info from the email invoice. I also save the e/invoice online to a directory in my email client (Xfinity).

That email file saved me several times when I wanted to re-order a product and could not find the paper invoice...

Keep in mind I am applying the sales/use tax as it is familiar to me, in Massachusetts. Go to you states web site and discover about the sales/use tax in your state.

What to do when your state does not have a sales/use tax and you take a sales/use tax hit from a seller? Nothing as far as I know, should done yer homework.possibly not buy from that vendor...

GL

Chas

PostPosted: Sep Sun 15, 2019 11:20 pm 

I've been getting away with not having to pay state sales tax at eBay for 21 years now, so if they begin imposing it, no big deal. In L.A. County it's almost 10%. If I wanted to buy the same item at a B&M store, what's the difference? I'd still have to pay it. Here it's considered a "sales and use tax". Sales tax for new items, use tax for used items. The tax man'll get into our pockets one way or another. :wink:

PostPosted: Sep Mon 16, 2019 1:41 am 

I have been finding other online vendors, for new stuff, that are cheaper than Ebay, maybe because of the high premium they have to pay. Now with the sales tax, I really will be looking around for better prices before I purchase.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 16, 2019 1:01 pm 

Some things you can only find on Ebay so you buy it there taxes and all.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 16, 2019 1:38 pm 

fifties wrote:
The tax man'll get into our pockets one way or another. :wink:

^ Exactly.

It gave me pause as I just bought a new laptop (not on eBay but direct from HP), but...no. For something I wish to purchase, I just sigh and hit the "buy" button.

I cannot say any more as to do so would be political.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 16, 2019 5:52 pm 

I know in MA on your tax return you are supposed to record out of state purchases that were not taxed. Does not really make a difference to me, its great if I don't have pay it.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 16, 2019 6:27 pm 

YES..
I buy lots and to get $100.00 in tax now added to my purchase SUCKS.
My buyers also feel this way as I have asked a few.

:(

PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 8:56 am 
Site Admin

There's a Value Added Tax to just about everything here. Essentially a sales tax, but it is already included with the price of an item. If the price sticker says "100" you hand over 100. So simple. Unfortunately the rate is 12%, but it's painless since it's never an addition to the selling price.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 5:46 pm 

The part that irritates me is they are calculating the tax after including shipping. I ordered something from Lowe's last night and saw the tax they added was after shipping. I don't recall ever paying tax at the Post Office or UPS, but maybe I just never noticed.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 7:56 pm 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
There's a Value Added Tax to just about everything here. Essentially a sales tax, but it is already included with the price of an item. If the price sticker says "100" you hand over 100. So simple. Unfortunately the rate is 12%, but it's painless since it's never an addition to the selling price.

The "VAT" is standard in Europe. It's been discussed to impose it here, but fortunately has never come to pass.

Eliot Ness wrote:
The part that irritates me is they are calculating the tax after including shipping. I ordered something from Lowe's last night and saw the tax they added was after shipping. I don't recall ever paying tax at the Post Office or UPS, but maybe I just never noticed.

Right, that irks me too; labor isn't supposed to be taxed. I think though that they simply tax the total because it's easier for them.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

Apparently, it depends:
https://www.avalara.com/us/en/learn/whi ... s-tax.html

PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 10:52 pm 

Eliot Ness wrote:
Sales/Use tax codes vary from state to state. It could be that shipping is taxed in some instances. Check with your states tax laws at their web site. Save the receipt, when you file deduct the excess... Sure it may be pennies but it is your money Lowe's grabbed.

It may be some assurance or not, the MA.gov web site explains where money goes from sales/use taxes. For MA is is something called a "Cherry Sheet" and amounts are apportioned to the various towns in the Commonwealth. This Cherry Sheet is used by the Town Finance committee to determine funds for the next Fiscal years projects. Things like money for road improvements and other similar infrastructure upgrades. Over the years I have seen the rotten roads, ripped up and rebuilt. Its a good thing...

With third party online transactions recorded electronically, neglecting this could be a problem if there is an audit.

If your in business then you will have a sales tax exemption number so you can buy without the tax added. You must also collect tax for sales as well and depending on sales volume, file a quarterly estimate.

Ever gone to an Estate sale and paid sales tax? I have, caught me by surprise, but so does the auctioneers premium :roll:

Chas

PostPosted: Sep Sun 22, 2019 2:03 am 

I'm pretty much done with eBay. I think there are better ways to sell stuff. I have been paying tax upon tax my whole life and I'm burned out.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 22, 2019 4:18 am 

Merrill Bancroft wrote:
I have been paying tax upon tax my whole life and I'm burned out.

"Death and taxes" old boy; the two absolute certainties of life... :wink: