Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 12:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: feepay ghoul parting out restorable Atwater Kent 185A
PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 8:47 am 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-Atwater-K ... Swxs9dgVjn
He has the cabinet, chassis, and speaker listed separately. It needs some love, but it's certainly more than a parts set.

Post subject: Re: feepay ghoul parting out restorable Atwater Kent 185A
PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 10:36 am 

That's happening so often these days, but I can't blame the sellers. I must say that value of complete sets verses parting out is often contradictory. A set of knobs, certain tubes, a speaker, CRT, etc., might be worth a sizable amount of money, yet with an entire rough set, the value is low.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 4:04 pm 

lol,
I just posted another radio this jerk listed.
He listed the top of the cabinet separately!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-ANTIQUE-P ... z&LH_All=1

PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 4:13 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
decojoe67 wrote:
That's happening so often these days, but I can't blame the sellers. I must say that value of complete sets verses parting out is often contradictory. A set of knobs, certain tubes, a speaker, CRT, etc., might be worth a sizable amount of money, yet with an entire rough set, the value is low.

Yup, exactly.

Also :

If antique radio hobbyists weren't so cheap, they'd realise that the real price for a radio is the highest price that can be realised for it, whether by parting it out or selling it whole. They can blather on and on about morals and historical obligations and all that other crap, but the fact is .. the seller owns these sets and has ZERO obligations to anyone but themself. If the cheapskate hobbyists want to criticise then they should also be prepared to put their money where their mouth is. Very few will do that .... it's easier and cheaper just to badmouth someone else.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 9:02 pm 

So... what would be a fair price for THAT radio complete? I think it's unfair to categorize all radio (hobbiests?) (hobbyests?) as cheap, when values are dropping on antiques almost across the board. There are also a lot of us that aren't Mr. Deep Pockets, and could never afford to drop $500 or more on one radio.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 9:24 pm 

andyjon100 wrote:
So... what would be a fair price for THAT radio complete? I think it's unfair to categorize all radio (hobbiests?) (hobbyests?) as cheap, when values are dropping on antiques almost across the board. There are also a lot of us that aren't Mr. Deep Pockets, and could never afford to drop $500 or more on one radio.

Well for starters, the fair price for a complete radio has to be at least the sum of the parts price that the seller "realises". But, really there is no such thing as "fair". It doesn't exist. There is only the marketplace with open competition. So .... how much do they finish for on eBay? How much did the parts finish for on eBay?

And then ... at the risk of sounding mean, if a buyer can't afford to pay what someone else can, the doesn't make the other buyer a scoundrel or the seller greedy. It's the marketplace determining who is playing and who isn't. Those who don't have the money should maybe either set their spending sights lower, or their earning sights higher?

What I hate the most is when people are described as "greedy" for realising the maximum return that they can. It appears that the American Dream of making your own way, and participating in the free and open market only applies part of the time ... and those who can't play do a lot of complaining about those who do....

EDIT :: there are a LOT of things that I can't afford either. But just because someone else worked harder, saved better, invested more intelligently, or was simply luckier than me doesn't mean that I am going to call them greedy or blame them because I can't participate at their level. When I want something that I can't afford, I work a bit harder/longer/smarter to get there....

PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 9:33 pm 

Rookie seller. He forgot the token eBay codewords, Walton, Art Deco, Rare and L@@K

PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 9:37 pm 

I parted out a restore-able AK206 - and three members here on ARF got the parts they needed to restore theirs. Guess I'm a ghoul..... :shock:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=265453&hilit=kent+206

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=361125&p=3048474&hilit=kent+206#p3048474

PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 10:13 pm 

Just a general observation. If your in this hobby to make money you're in the wrong hobby.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 10:16 pm 

What that guy just said Ω Ω Ω
Peace and no shorted turns.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 11:08 pm 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
Just a general observation. If your in this hobby to make money you're in the wrong hobby.

+10000000000000

My question wasn't answered, though. I asked what would a fair price be for THAT radio in THAT condition? - meaning - what would YOU be willing to pay? I got an evasive answer at best. $30? $130? $230? I have to say, that "sum realized for all of the parts" statement is drivel. Fair as a complete radio is different than fair as a pile of parts. By those terms, NOBODY has EVER even approached paying a "fair" price for a complete common radio. It's common knowledge that most more common sets are worth more dead than alive, but I thought KEEPING them ALIVE was one of the basic tenets of this hobby.
Being insulting and judgemental regarding somebody else's financial situation is pretty low in itself. Insinuating someone is lazy and didn't work hard or plan right because they aren't loaded speaks volumes about you. You have NO idea what happened to someone else in their life to bring them to the place they currently are. All the "planning" in the world can come to nothing in the blink of an eye. Millionaires have wound up homeless - Sometimes by their own doing, sometimes not. It's not your place to pass judgement. I was under the impression hobbiests were supposed to work together to build each other and the hobby up, not tear each other down. Like it or not, destroying good stock for parts is generally frowned upon in ANY hobby, whether it's radios, cars, phonographs..... There is PLENTY of real junk out there for parting out.

Quote:
I parted out a restore-able AK206 - and three members here on ARF got the parts they needed to restore theirs. Guess I'm a ghoul..... :shock:

Reading your description of the radio you parted out, can you really compare that to the one on feepay? Your description of the one you parted out seems like it would be restorable, but only to the small percentage that like basket cases. ANYTHING is restorable, if you want to put in the time/money. The one on feepay is clearly in a different realm than the one you describe.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 11:13 pm 

A good example is say a late '40's Motorola VT-71 7" TV. Suppose it was a trashed barn find, missing parts, but the seller stated that he checked the CRT and it was very good. Because of that he had a BIN of $125 on it. Collectors would laugh and pass right by it. If he took the CRT out, cleaned it up and put it up for auction as a tested good (showing the reading) 7JP4, collectors would jump at the chance to buy it for that same price. That's just a random example, but you see where I'm going here.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 11:33 pm 

andyjon100 wrote:

Quote:

Reading your description of the radio you parted out, can you really compare that to the one on feepay? Your description of the one you parted out seems like it would be restorable, but only to the small percentage that like basket cases. ANYTHING is restorable, if you want to put in the time/money. The one on feepay is clearly in a different realm than the one you describe.

Well, Every part of that set went to separate buyers. Chassis to one, cabinet (with a honkin' USCG decal on the side of it!) to another, and the speaker to the third. I sat on the knobs, and found homes for them later. No complaints, and no comparison or judgment of others that part out sets.

Me? I've probably junked more sets (Radio/TV/Stereo) than most others, but for a teenager in a TV shop, there isn't much else to do when the work is "above your skill set" for a period. Heck, I even (mistakenly!!) junked the neighbors' Zenith color set, back in 1980. It got necked by the neighbors and dad was looking for a CRT when I junked it. They were happy with the newer Quasar with a smaller footprint they got in exchange when Dad "just couldn't find a CRT" for their old set...... :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Sep Wed 18, 2019 11:42 pm 

andyjon100 wrote:
atwaterkent1 wrote:
Being insulting and judgemental

Who was being judgemental? I didn't judge anybody. I said nothing about poor people. That was you who brought that in. We all have our place on the economic ladder. Some of us understand that we won't drive $100k cars, but don't whine about them being too expensive.

Fair .... forget fair ... it's not real. Either you're in the marketplace or you aren't. I'm in some and not others ... so are you, but just because we can't afford some level of the marketplace doesn't mean the sellers that are there are greedy or the items are too expensive .... it's just that we can't afford it.

cheers

PostPosted: Sep Thu 19, 2019 12:31 am 

Quote:
Fair .... forget fair ... it's not real. Either you're in the marketplace or you aren't. I'm in some and not others ... so are you, but just because we can't afford some level of the marketplace doesn't mean the sellers that are there are greedy or the items are too expensive .... it's just that we can't afford it.

That's why I'm in the "common model" subset, and not in the AK breadboard, Scott, McMurdo Silver, Stratosphere group, and I'm fine with that. This hobby is great in that there is something for everybody, something for every taste, something for every economic position. I buy and sell a bit to help make this a semi self supporting hobby. I have bought and parted out junk. I have turned a profit on complete sets, but it gets turned over into current projects. I just sent a beautiful Philco 37-84 to Spain (it arrived perfectly, I might add).... Agree with me or not, what I'm seeing in this instance is just greed, pure and simple. This takes an affordable radio in generally nice condition and makes it an illogical expenditure if you want to make it whole again and pay his prices. He probably couldn't sell it for some astronomical price he thought it's worth as a complete radio.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 19, 2019 2:29 am 

The correct spelling is hobbyist: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hobbyist

PostPosted: Sep Thu 19, 2019 2:48 am 

Hi Rodney! I don't collect radios to make money, its for enjoyment. But if we just look at the money aspect, how you do financially depends on what you collect, how good you are at finding the right radio and cutting a deal with sellers plus how lucky you are. If you collect common radios, some of which I have, they will probably go down in value depending on what you paid. If you collect high-end radios, those will hold their value or increase in value in most cases, though some will decrease in value also. Too many variables to be sure how each collector will come out, but most will probably lose money when they sell.
Of course we bought the radios for the enjoyment of the hobby, so in the end all of us will come out ahead one way or another. :wink:

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Sep Thu 19, 2019 2:51 am 

andyjon100 wrote:
Agree with me or not, what I'm seeing in this instance is just greed, pure and simple.

I guess we'll have to disagree. What I see is a seller who see an opportunity to maximise his asset. I'm in no position of saintliness that I can throw stones at him ... it's his ... he can do as he wishes ...

PostPosted: Sep Thu 19, 2019 2:57 am 

[quote.. it's his ... he can do as he wishes ...
[/quote]
You're absolutely right. Still, that doesn't make him any less of an ........

PostPosted: Sep Thu 19, 2019 3:14 am 

andyjon100 wrote:
Quote:
.. it's his ... he can do as he wishes ...

You're absolutely right. Still, that doesn't make him any less of an ........

Now who's being judgemental ??

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next