Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 08, 2019 4:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: feepay ghoul parting out restorable Atwater Kent 185A
PostPosted: Sep Thu 19, 2019 3:50 am 

Quote:
But just because someone else worked harder, saved better, invested more intelligently, or was simply luckier than me doesn't mean that I am going to call them greedy or blame them because I can't participate at their level. When I want something that I can't afford, I work a bit harder/longer/smarter to get there....

This statement makes a ton of judgemental assumptions - I wonder where it came from? What do you know of someone else's work ethic? Their savings? Their investment portfolio? Their "luck"? Their intelligence? Apparently you're on too high a horse to realize any or all of that can be taken away in the blink of an eye. I know firsthand. Besides, how is what he's doing a "level" to participate at? Any clown can buy radios, tear them apart and put them on feepay - not much skill required there. When your only motivation is money and forget about anything else, THAT'S greed - pretty much by definition. I stand by my opinion of someone that would do what this guy does, and this isn't the only instance with him - there's yet another thread here about another of his endeavors - yet you're not standing up for him over there.....

PostPosted: Sep Thu 19, 2019 4:40 am 

andyjon100 wrote:
Any clown can buy radios, tear them apart and put them on feepay - not much skill required there. When your only motivation is money and forget about anything else, THAT'S greed - pretty much by definition.

No my friend; to participate in an enterprise that produces a profit -in this case dismantling a radio receiver for it's parts value- is called "capitalism". :wink:

Back in the '80's, it was recognized that the parts of something could easily be worth more than the whole. That's what corporate raiders did when purchasing companies; strip the assets out to sell individually. On a more individual level, parting out an old car -engine, trans, fenders, etc., is quite often more profitable than selling a junker as a whole. And really, the owner of any item can do what he damn well pleases with it, right?

PostPosted: Sep Thu 19, 2019 5:24 am 

Fifties is right when he writes that the owner of a radio can do anything he wants to do with it, it hard to logically argue with that. The seller who is parting out the radios just wants to make money, there's nothing wrong with wanting to make money. Did the guy try to sell the radio before without success? We don't know that do we? I've had a few radios I couldn't sell despite trying for a long time to sell them. I even tried to give them away. Finally I had to part them out, I recovered what I had into them and some other restorers who had radios that needed the parts were able to finish restoring theirs.

The flip side to this argument.....

If the part stripper is doing it just to make money and continues parting out restorable radios, it goes against what I think a lot of us want to do and that's preserve these radios. He's not a collector/restorer, he just wants to make money and that going to rub a lot of radiomen the wrong way. In a way he's working against what some or most of us are trying to do.
Using fifties comparison to 80's corporate raiders is a good one. The guy stripping these radios and selling them for parts may not care about the radios he destroys and the corporate raider who bought companies and stripped them for their value certainly didn't care about how many people he put out of work or the family's that were destroyed.

We would need a lot more information to form any kind of a reasonable opinion of what this seller is doing, IMHO.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Sep Thu 19, 2019 6:12 am 

Quote:
No my friend; to participate in an enterprise that produces a profit -in this case dismantling a radio receiver for it's parts value- is called "capitalism". :wink:

Back in the '80's, it was recognized that the parts of something could easily be worth more than the whole. That's what corporate raiders did when purchasing companies; strip the assets out to sell individually. On a more individual level, parting out an old car -engine, trans, fenders, etc., is quite often more profitable than selling a junker as a whole. And really, the owner of any item can do what he damn well pleases with it, right?

I never said anything to the contrary. Sure it's his to do with as he pleases, but that doesn't make what he is doing right - in my opinion. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. Everyone here would be calling for someone's head if it were a wrecked out radio someone "repurposed" into a chalk painted wine bar or something, but have no issue with this kind of destruction, particularly of an easily restored (and pretty nicely styled) set?

Quote:
If the part stripper is doing it just to make money and continues parting out restorable radios, it goes against what I think a lot of us want to do and that's preserve these radios. He's not a collector/restorer, he just wants to make money and that going to rub a lot of radiomen the wrong way. In a way he's working against what some or most of us are trying to do.

+10000000
Quote:
Using fifties comparison to 80's corporate raiders is a good one. The guy stripping these radios and selling them for parts may not care about the radios he destroys and the corporate raider who bought companies and stripped them for their value certainly didn't care about how many people he put out of work or the family's that were destroyed.

...and these corporate raiders like Eddie Lampert are widely regarded as complete pond scum.

With that being said, I officially tap out of this conversation.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2