Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 15, 2019 4:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Change and Rules Addition
PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 10:27 pm 

This new rule is quite unfortunate.

How big of a problem is this "mass edit" thing?

If several people have done this, than I would understand the need for the new rules, but if only one or two people have done this, then it just puts an unnecessary burden on regular forum users who can no longer update posts after one hour; and the moderators, who are likely to get flooded with post edit requests.

I don't think creating a new post in place of an edit makes sense most of the time.

I have supported the changes Alan has made to this forum since I joined, as they have made the forum a better place, but this new rule I do not agree with.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 10:50 pm 

Maybe I missed it: What is the new rule for the Classifieds, then? We are supposed to edit the title to say Sold when the item is sold.

A shame that a few bad apples amongst such a friendly, helpful and knowledgable group makes it harder for others. I agree that it is very frustrating to encounter a thread where someone has swiss cheesed it. It is unfair not only to present members, but also to future ones. But I wonder how prevalent this practice is, and if it really deters that much from what is otherwise such an excellent forum?

While I'm posting on a wide-audience thread like this: Thank you all for all you've taught me!

Dave

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 10:52 pm 

This is certainly NOT MY RODEO, but there seem to be rules in place NOW to deal with this issue, but no one does, apparently.

I've also made changes to posts several days later. However it may be to clarify something, or to add a pic, or some other mundane issue that doesn't impact the thread per se.

In fact there was a thread recently regarding posted pics of peoples "shacks" and "workbenches" some referenced threads were a few years old, and many of the pic links were dead, so I put current links in posts.

I'm not particularly fond of uploading pics here as I'm on satellite and my bandwidth is quite limited, so I use links to web hosting. Also if all the pics were held here, SIGNIFICANT additional memory would be needed, and I presume thats not free.

Some one makes significant negative changes to a significant number of their postings, shut them down however long may seem appropriate, including permanently. Otherwise 3 strikes, each with its corresponding consequences, and your out.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 10:58 pm 

Mike -When the pics/schematics are not posted here they often disappear later and important parts of the post can be lost.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 12:45 am 
Site Admin

The consensus seems to be removing all your posts is ok as long as others are able to make changes in their own posts forever. Unrestricted editing is back.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 12:58 am 

I think that is the right decision considering that the knowledge in the archives is vast and 99.99% of it will never be intentionally deleted. A random person here and there removing all their posts will not hinder the forum helping others. With unrestricted editing, people have the ability to refine their posts to deepen and add to that knowledge base.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 1:03 am 

Well done, Alan.

Thank you for providing and maintaining such a well-run establishment.

If talk is cheap, it's because the supply usually exceeds the demand.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 1:44 am 

Thanks Alan.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 5:56 am 

Alan,

I have been involved in the governance of boards in the past.

I don't know about previous attempts, but I think something important was lost this time. I large mount of information on high-end radios is gone. I would hate for there to be a recurrence. It is the old threads and posts that are most helpful to me.

While I think returning editing to its previous condition is appropriate for the moment, I think your instinct to protect the board was correct and that you should consider a permanent arrangement that will protect the integrity of the board.

I favor a window during which a poster can edit a post. This serves the purpose of limiting the damage. I think an hour is too short and a month is too long, but we should be able to agree something in between is worth doing.

These rules generally worked:

The primary interest is the integrity of the board.

Posts are considered the property of the board, not the poster.

A post is allowed to be edited for 24 hours by the poster, then it is locked except to admins.

Each forum has an admin responsible for routine management.

There is an admin thread to which members can post problems including the need to have an edit made to a locked item (thread title, post, ...

Any admin can monitor the admin thread and respond to a request made for any forum.

This board has an added issue of a couple of transient areas like classifieds. These need to allow edits atany time.

John

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 6:14 am 

I agree with a lot of what John has posted, but 24 hours is too short a window. There are legitimate reasons to alter/add to a post after that time period, as I just had to do today. A more reasonable time period would be three days, much closer to the one hour in John's time frame than the month.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 8:03 am 

Thanks Alan for being on all of this!
I had no idea... but wondered earlier today why editing disappeared when trying to add photos of a Meissner.
When re-reading the posts outlined by Egg here by the offending party, there is still good information in them that probably could still be found in a search engine about the topic in spite of the asterisk title, perhaps some of the members who posted on these astekirized *** posts, can edit into their own posts on ***, the title of the subject so the pertinent information in them is not lost?
Glad to hear editing's back, I don't know what I'd do without it...
Many thanks,
Kent

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 9:40 am 

Greetings to the Forum:

I am glad to see that unrestricted editing is back.

Regards,

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 10:47 am 

I've been in the situation several times (on other forums) where I've spent a considerable amount of time to reply to a thread, and then had the topic starter go and delete all of his posts or alter them drastically so that my replies (and other people's replies) made no sense. It's absolutely infuriating. So, I fully understand the reason behind restricting the time period that a post can be edited.

I've seen two ways that this problem has been handled on other forums:
1. No restriction on editing, but also zero tolerance for people who do massive deletions. They get banned for life on the first offense. Or maybe they get one warning, if the administrator is feeling especially lenient.

Or,

2. There is no time limit on editing a post as long as it hasn't been replied to. After it receives a reply, it can't be edited.

From my experience, method 2 works very well. It keeps the conversation on track.

For people who think they should be able to go back and un-say something, remember that real life doesn't work that way. Once you've said something you can't make that statement disappear. You can only come back later and say, "I actually meant to say..." I don't see why online forums should be any different.

Having said that, I can see that the Classified section is a bit of a special case, and might be treated differently.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 3:55 pm 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
The consensus seems to be removing all your posts is ok as long as others are able to make changes in their own posts forever. Unrestricted editing is back.

Thanks Alan. I, as many, really appreciate your efforts in making and keeping this forum operating efficiently. It is incredibly difficult and time consuming to make adjustments to a popular forum like this as any changes will enviably cause considerable feedback in the way of complaints/suggestions/praise.
Again, many thanks.
Paul

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 4:02 pm 

Thank you for restoring the edit feature. Many times I have been searching and found a thread I had posted in but the picture was now missing, so I easily edited the link. Sometimes I stumble on one of my old posts and now have a picture to add, or see I missed a typo or misspelling.

I also run into older threads where photos have gone missing, but I notice later the links have been corrected thanks to editing.

Thanks again Alan.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 4:17 pm 

So much added utility, so few beeg steenkers.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 4:20 pm 

Perhaps there could be a request to "withdraw" from being a member and when a user decides to do so, their user name, location etc. could be replaced with "Anonymous" or something like that.

Guess it all comes down to why they wanted all their the posts removed in the first place. This wouldn't address the content of their posts.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 5:02 pm 

Thank you Alan for keeping the edit feature intact!

Regards,
Sal

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 8:02 pm 

Thanks for keeping editing. I'm a bit OCD and tend to make minor mistakes that I then can't live with. I definitely make minor corrections or additions days or weeks after posting, though I usually do them as a new line prefixed with "edit-" to keep things clear.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 9:08 pm 

tunerman wrote:
Perhaps there could be a request to "withdraw" from being a member and when a user decides to do so, their user name, location etc. could be replaced with "Anonymous" or something like that.

Guess it all comes down to why they wanted all their the posts removed in the first place. This wouldn't address the content of their posts.

I agree with this It seems does the good out weigh the bad or does the bad out weigh the good. I make a lot of posts at night and when I re read them the next day I sometimes have to correct the errors. Tom

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 99 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next