Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 15, 2019 4:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Should I pay this seller or not?
PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 1:07 am 

Long story short, I purchased an item on the bay on a Wednesday. I chose one of two sellers to purchase it from but screwed up and ordered from the seller whose feedback was lower. This is a used compact disk (CD). Upon realizing this, I immediately starting reading the negative feedback and got a bad vibe. I quickly requested a refund and this was no more than 5 minutes after placing the order. 4 days later on Sunday, I was informed that it is too late the cancel the order.

Well Ok, no big deal. For a less than $6 purchase, I’ll just see if it arrives in good condition. On the day it was to be delivered, there was nothing in the mail. Now mind you, I was peeking in from time to time to see if it had shipped. The shipping status always showed “not shipped”. So I contacted the bay and got a response that there was still time left. Ok, so it’s 8pm. I guess they have to wait till 12am when the day is over. Two days later I contacted the bay again and was presented an option to request a refund or some other options for which I don’t recall. I opted for the refund considering that’s what I wanted in the first place. Well, a couple days later I received a full refund.
Low and behold, today I received the CD in the mail. So now I have a free CD. Along with this free CD is the guilt of not paying for it. I am considering what I should do. I consider myself an honest man and always try to do the right thing. Should I contact the seller and pay them for the CD? As far as condition, the case is cracked. Appears to have occurred during shipping as it was shipped in a small bubble wrapped envelope that could easily be crushed. Not a big deal considering the price was low and the CD itself seems to be in fair condition. But what gets me is that I had absolutely no communication from the seller other then the denial of my original request to cancel the order. Had they updated the shipping status, I would have simply waited for it to be delivered.

The bay has pretty much removed all traces of this order from my account other than the message of denial for cancellation. So there’s no easy way to pay back this seller. I suppose I can message them or contact them through PayPal. But in this case, the bay wouldn’t get their share of fees. (Not that I have any sympathies for them.) I’m curious what you folks would do?

Oh, another thing, today I took a better look at the sellers feedback and it is 99.1%. To me, that’s a good status. I was in a rush the day I ordered it and wasn’t thinking clearly. But again, communication goes a long way! They should have updated the shipping status!

Post subject: Re: Should I pay this seller or not?
PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 1:33 am 

Contact the seller and ask them to send you an invoice.

For quite some time now, eBay associated e-mail addresses are no longer visible in PayPal.

Greg.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 2:22 am 

Do the right thing. Pay the man!

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 2:37 am 

Pay him if the CD is as represented. I have had stuff arrive and the tracking never got past the label being generated.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 2:49 am 

Yea the "tracking" provided by USPS is sometimes a little squirrely. Have had things like show up at the post office, then no updates then after a week or more, suddenly show up as being ready for delivery. Or go to some intermediate place and stay for days. If anything in a sellers feedback catches my eye, I check it out. Sometimes there will be a very old negative that pulls down the average a bit, but since then several hundred happy buyers. So it is a judgement call. And high volume sellers often seem to be too busy to respond to requests or questions. If I think the question is crucial I may pass if ignored but usually I can get enough info from the listing anyway. I just bought something after I made a request for a specific condition issue and the guy took several days to respond but has a lot of sales to contend with.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 3:04 am 

We are are talking about a 6 dollar item here. It's less than a good burger. Pay it. :lol:

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 3:18 am 

Do the right thing, pay what you owe.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 5:47 am 

kurt1618 wrote:
We are are talking about a 6 dollar item here. It's less than a good burger. Pay it. :lol:

I personally don't think it matters what the cost is; penalizing the seller for lack of communication when you did in fact receive the goods in usable condition is ridiculous, and requires payment for it; you know that. Contact him and ask for his PayPal addy, so you can complete the transaction.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 2:24 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
This shouldn't even be a question .... you rec'd it .... pay for it .... sheesh !!

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 3:23 pm 

I agree but the problem is that I've spent 3 hours trying to figure out how! And in my mind, this all could have been avoided if the seller would have just marked it as shipped!

eBay certainly does not make this easy. They pretty much wiped out all traces of the order. (At least from my account.) I had to track it down through my emails.

What's interesting is that in my email there is an Order Number and an Item ID. The Item ID now maps to another CD of the same artist and album title from the same seller. But they have it listed at almost 3 times the cost. So in my message to the seller, I only referenced the order number along with the price I originally paid. We'll see what happens next.

Lesson learned: Avoid getting eBay involved unless absolutely necessary. Contact the seller first using the messaging system. Clicking on the "not received" link was the wrong way to go. But, I did receive an email showing that a message was sent to the seller giving them an option to provide shipping status. I guess they chose to refund.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 5:13 pm 

It’s really bad the way EBay removes information once you ASK for return or refund. The transaction isn’t complete, but the information is gone. Lately I have been putting it in my watch list. This helps, but under some circumstances it still disappears.

You should pay for the item, but you can only do so much toward paying the guy. At some point, under the circumstances of the way EBay does things, you could be forgiven if it was too much trouble. Perhaps skipping EBay altogether and going to your PayPal summary would work.

Ed

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 1:51 am 

I have had several transactions where the seller ships the item without tracking. These purchases should arrive in 10 to 21 days. If the item does not arrive on time and I ask the seller for an update. I wait up to a week later and if no package, I ask for refund. I have been refunded on all these purchases. Then, a package arrives up to two week later. I contact the seller, apologize and they put in a money request direct from PP. I have had only one seller I tried to purchase another item from and found out they blocked me buying even after I made things right. Probably because I didn't believe them on the shipping. Regardless, you should always pay for what you owe. It's just the right thing to do.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 6:18 am 

tunerman wrote:
I agree but the problem is that I've spent 3 hours trying to figure out how!

All you had to do was to call eBay and talk to a CSR. They could have straightened it out AFA your making a payment.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 12:51 am 

I'm sure I would have resolved it much quicker that way. Oh well, I finally got in touch with the seller and he's paid now.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 12:56 am 

Oops, did not read the last post. None the less, good for you!